Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eVIPs out of Paris -- Upgrade / Luxury Tax like London?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pushpak
I have been upgraded on AA (coach -> biz) ex-LHR a few times. Never paid an additional charge.
Using miles or systemwide upgrades, then if you have not been charged for the higher APD then you are very lucky

If upgraded involuntarily, then the airline is not allowed to charge the extra cost on to the passenger
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
Operational upgrade or systemwide upgrade? AA will hit you with about a $100 charge for UK-US flights if you originate in the UK and use a systemwide. Workaround is to not originate in the UK.
So if you are flying on a Y ticket AMS-BA-xLHR-AA-ORD, and choose to upgrade LHR-ORD on AA with an eVIP, will you get hit with the extra charge even if in LHR for transit only?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by FedUp2
So if you are flying on a Y ticket AMS-BA-xLHR-AA-ORD, and choose to upgrade LHR-ORD on AA with an eVIP, will you get hit with the extra charge even if in LHR for transit only?
If the journey is liable for APD, then your will be due to pay the additional APD charge from Reduced Rate to Standard Rate
If the journey is not liable for APD, then there is no APD to pay at all

A through ticket travelling AMS-ORD with a time in London < 24 hours is not liable for APD. Since it is not liable for APD then there is no extra charge

If you stop in the UK for > 24 hours then APD will be due and so , if booked in economy and then upgrade to a higher cabin, then will be due to pay the difference between APD paid and the standard rate of APD
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I had CDG-LHR-LAX last month.
The LHR-LAX leg was upgraded to J from Y by SWU 3 days prior to the departure.
I wasn't asked to pay any tax anywhere.
Is that correct?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I had CDG-LHR-LAX last month.
The LHR-LAX leg was upgraded to J from Y by SWU 3 days prior to the departure.
I wasn't asked to pay any tax anywhere.
Is that correct?
See post 63. Is your journey liable for APD?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If upgraded involuntarily, then the airline is not allowed to charge the extra cost on to the passenger
There is no extra APD due for op ups so there is no extra cost in this case for either the passenger or the airline

"Where the passenger has no expectation of, or entitlement to, a free upgrade it will not take them out of standard class for APD purposes"
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
Operational upgrade or systemwide upgrade? AA will hit you with about a $100 charge for UK-US flights if you originate in the UK and use a systemwide. Workaround is to not originate in the UK.
I was on a US-LHR-DEL rt itinerary. I used eVIPs. No OpUps for this unlucky puppy.

The lack of the $100 charge is apparently explained by the fact that on each occasion I was simply in transit through LHR.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pushpak
I was on a US-LHR-DEL rt itinerary. I used eVIPs. No OpUps for this unlucky puppy.

The lack of the $100 charge is apparently explained by the fact that on each occasion I was simply in transit through LHR.
It is easier than that; an upgrade US-UK on US-UK-DEL would never generate extra APD

If transitting UK, then no APD is due
If stopping over, then the US-UK leg has no bearing on APD due for LHR-DEL and would be solely determined by class of travel LHR-DEL
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Now, I believe also for Germay...one thing to take note of

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Yes there is a tax, no it's not as hefty as London (I think).
I have used 5 or 6 of these (EXP new again) and they NEVER tell me they are taking a charge on the credit card I originally charged the ticket on. I have no idea how much they charged me to go from MIA-LHR (although I hear it's something like $250 each way). I think the agents should get authorization from the card holder, so be sure to ask them what card and how much they are going to charge.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by rodsren
I have no idea how much they charged me to go from MIA-LHR (although I hear it's something like $250 each way).
You won't pay anything extra to use a systemwide on that route from the U.S. You will pay about $100 extra if you return using a systemwide LHR-MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.