Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Help: Kona (KOA) Late Arrival - All Rental Car Counters Closed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1M, AA Gold 1M

Hi all, we have an upcoming trip to Kona (KOA) on AA247. The flight is scheduled to get in at 10:45PM. It seems that all rental car places close by 10:30PM at the latest. Websites like travelocity and Avis.com won't let me reserved a car if I put in a pick up time later than 10:30PM. There must be plane loads of people arriving Kona everyday on this flight, and everyone needs a rental car on Hawaii.

If you have flown on this flight recently, can you please share some wisdom on what I should do? Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by schubert
Hi all, we have an upcoming trip to Kona (KOA) on AA247. The flight is scheduled to get in at 10:45PM. It seems that all rental car places close by 10:30PM at the latest. Websites like travelocity and Avis.com won't let me reserved a car if I put in a pick up time later than 10:30PM. There must be plane loads of people arriving Kona everyday on this flight, and everyone needs a rental car on Hawaii.

If you have flown on this flight recently, can you please share some wisdom on what I should do? Thanks!
I arrived on that flight in September and Hertz was open. I know because I picked up my car.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:59 am

If your itinerary is not completely fixed, you could also consider just taking a room at a local hotel that will shuttle you, then getting your car the next day. If timimg is right, you offset the cost of the hotel by the cost of a day's rental. This presumes you can get a reasonable local room as well as that you could change your arrival date at whatever hotel you currently have booked.

May not work for you... and as the previous poster indicated, may not be necessary. Also, there may in this case not be any nearby hotel with a shuttle. For me, I often will look for the cheapest place to stay the first night I get to a resort location, just because it galls me to pay a big fee for a night where I don't get to take advantage of the amenities.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
the rental car counters all stay open until all flights are in.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:07 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Simply looking at the www.hertz.com web site, I found the counter hours of operation.

Pick-Up/Return Location:
Kona Keahole Airport, 73 104 Aulepe Street, Kona - Hawaii(Kailua Kona), HI, US
Location Type: Corporate

0500-2330 7 Days

I would head there immediately and collect luggage on a drive-by possibly.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HHonors Silver, Pre✓®
Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
the rental car counters all stay open until all flights are in.
Too bad this isn't the policy at all airports for just the regularly scheduled flights. And it would be great if some of the car rental counters would be open even for late flights due to late arrivals. I've done the whole shuttle to close hotel and pickup car in the early morning deal before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.