Wiki Posts
Search

question re. showing credit card used to purchase ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
question re. showing credit card used to purchase ticket

bought a pair of tickets recently - one for myself another for my traveling companion

we are both doing KIN-STL together

I return STL-KIN, however she is doing STL-LGA and then LGA-KIN on another day (basically stopping over in New York)

the receipt I received from AA says that the original credit card used to purchase the tickets must be shown- is this true just when leaving KIN on the initial leg, or at each check-in? Obviously I won't be there for her LGA-KIN leg.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I never had to show any credit card since I fly AA and that is 4 years now. On the kiosk you can enter the record or swipe the AAdvantage card. At the counter just present a printout.

I recieved a paper ticket today that says on top "If the credit card used to purchase belongs to you, you may be required to present the credit card."
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Fwiw I've never been asked to show a credit card at checkin.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The old saw is always there, but I have never been required to produce the card I purchased the ticket with - ever, as I recall.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
I have had to show my c.c. in KIN several times. I remember when I asked the agent what would happen if I didn't have the c.c. used to purchase the ticket I was told I would not be able to travel!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyaway
I have had to show my c.c. in KIN several times. I remember when I asked the agent what would happen if I didn't have the c.c. used to purchase the ticket I was told I would not be able to travel!
yes me too that's why i'm asking

this is the language from the receipt:

"Due to security reasons, cardholder and passenger must present the credit card used on this purchase at the time of check-in along with a printed copy of this confirmation letter. Please be aware that cardholder will be required to sign a credit card voucher for the passenger to be boarded."
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I think it's one of those things where AA reserves the right to ask you to show the credit card you used to buy the ticket, but in practice seldom does. It's probably also a cover-their-rear-end clause in case somebody fraudulently buys a ticket.

Perhaps at KIN there have been some instances of ticketing fraud, and that's why they asked you.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:22 am

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
Maybe 5 or 10 years ago, AA went on a campaign and asked for the credit card every time you flew, at every airport. For me, it was a problem because we used a company credit card to pay for airfare and I never carried it with me. People sometimes pay for tickets up to a year in advance, and I think they finally figured out that there were too many situations where the PAX did not have the card in their pocket (used a spouse's card; cancelled the account; card lost or stolen, etc.), and they stopped this intrusive practice.

AA hasn't asked to see my credit card in years.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I never had to show any credit card since I fly AA and that is 4 years now. On the kiosk you can enter the record or swipe the AAdvantage card. At the counter just present a printout."
The kiosk just reads the name from your credit card, so there's no need to even swipe the card used to purchase the ticket. Any credit card in your name will do.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:33 pm

I dont think AA has ever asked me for the credit card I used. Reno Air did once (way back when) and UA did once or twice.

Peace!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by GoBears
Maybe 5 or 10 years ago, AA went on a campaign and asked for the credit card every time you flew, at every airport.
Couldn't have been every airport, because I never have been asked.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
I just punch in my aadvantage number when using the kiosk. Easier than digging out a credit card or AA card. At the desk they can pull up the reservation by the name on your photo i.d. if you don't have the printed receipt. I've never been asked to show a credit card.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
The policy, while it does exist, is waived for elites. Plebes are frequently subjected to it.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:35 pm

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
Originally Posted by GoBears
Maybe 5 or 10 years ago, AA went on a campaign and asked for the credit card every time you flew, at every airport.
Originally Posted by Blumie
Couldn't have been every airport, because I never have been asked.
Originally Posted by vasantn
The policy, while it does exist, is waived for elites. Plebes are frequently subjected to it.

Ah, well, vasantn's comment may explain it. 5 or 10 years ago, when I was a plebe and before I was annointed with platinum, I guess AA wanted to see my credit card. Blumie must have been elite then.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

ok - but the primary issue here is that the person is traveling separately from me on part of the trip, but using a ticket purchased by my credit card, and the receipt is asking explicitly for the credit card to be available- it just doesn't say "on every leg" or only on the original departure. and as i said i have been asked to produce the card a number of times when traveling in the Caribbean- can't recall in the US or not.

we are both GLD currently BTW

i guess no one has specific experience with this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.