Community
Wiki Posts
Search

connection not guaranteed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

connection not guaranteed?

I'm looking at a connection flying from DTW on jan 4 to JFK and on to LHR. JFK to LHR is already booked on AA, DTW-JFK not yet. Informing at AA learns me that they will not guarantee the connection as the first leg is not bought together with the rest. Also I cannot check in my luggage in DTW for LHR. Is that normal? Shouldn't they see it as one trip? There 3+ hrs of transfer time...

If the situation stays, what is the risk of delay on Jan 4 for DTW-JFK? Better plan some extra transfer time in JFK for just in case?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Welcome. It looks like you are buying two separate tickets. As such, AA is only transporting you from JFK to LHR and how you get to JFK is absolutely no concern of theirs. If you miss your connection, you do not have any recourse with AA. They can put you on standby for the next flight but they're under no obligation to do so, mainly depending on your fare conditions (and have absolutely no obligation to pay for your hotels/meals). Your bags can be checked through to LHR from DTW if the airline flying you between DTW and JFK has an interline agreement with AA. If not (most likely if you are flying a low-cost carrier such as B6), you'll have to reclaim your bags at JFK and check it in with AA.

There's always a winter storm risk at DTW and JFK in January. Some may feel comfortable with a 3 hr connection (perfect amount if you arrive at JFK ontime) but you'll have to evaluate what risk you are willing to handle.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:57 am
Original Poster

dtw-nyc-lhr

Hi and thanks for the reply. I suppose that in that case it makes no sense having a transfer time of say 5 hrs instead of 3 hrs on JFK? I mean if the snow in Detroit is falling it will be falling 7 or 5 hrs before the plane from JFK leaves.... What would you do? And is 3 hrs a normal transfer time? After all we're talking intercontinental and with the present safety it takes time to get thru......

And if it snows in NY we won't be arriving anyhow....

And the same if mia-jfk-lhr? What transfer time would you suggest in January?

Thanks, H
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by domnl
Hi and thanks for the reply. I suppose that in that case it makes no sense having a transfer time of say 5 hrs instead of 3 hrs on JFK? I mean if the snow in Detroit is falling it will be falling 7 or 5 hrs before the plane from JFK leaves.... What would you do? And is 3 hrs a normal transfer time? After all we're talking intercontinental and with the present safety it takes time to get thru......

And if it snows in NY we won't be arriving anyhow....

And the same if mia-jfk-lhr? What transfer time would you suggest in January?
Depends on how much risk you can tolerate. The snow situation can change a lot.

If you do fly MIA-JFK, at least fly on AA so 1) you don't have to change terminal, 2) AA might be able to put you on MIA-LHR if things snarl up at JFK, 3) you can check your bags through, 4) willing to do more to help you.

If you want to save money by flying another airline, be prepared to risk not flying until later, if at all.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dup deleted
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: hardly any
A day early ...

You might also consider, DOMNL, flying into JFK a day early from DTW. That would certainly enable you to make your connection in case of inclement weather. Let us know what you decide. Bon voyage.

Last edited by JohnWM; Oct 1, 2007 at 9:03 pm Reason: incorrect airport code erroneously used.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the AA Forum..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Would be an option if the programme would let me. I'm afraid that only from about 5 pm I could leave DTW. AA does not offer a nice connection leaving after 5 pm, best acceptable on AA is dtw 1025 am - 0300 pm JFK.
NWA offers an evening flight 0900 pm direct to JFK 1049 pm.
So probabely this is best...... even when using NWA instead of AA. Agree?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.