Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with miles posting

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Problem with miles posting

I flew DFW-AUS r/t twice on 9/15. I booked the first ticket online, but had to call to book the second due to the duplicate reservation policy not allowing you to book the same thing twice on a single day online.

I flew both r/t's. On Tuesday, the miles for the morning r/t posted, but not the afternoon r/t. Called AA cust serv. The AAgent explained that it was by design (the system rejecting double postings), that she would manually post them for me, and that I should see them within 48 hours.

On Thursday afternoon I checked again. Nothing posted. I also received a postcard from AAdvantage telling me that the miles for the flight in question were already posted. I call again. This AAgent tells me that the first agent never actually attempted to post the miles--her reason was that, if the first agent had actually manually posted them, it would not allow her to manually post them again...which it allowed. She also said that she would note my account with what transpired.

Out of curiosity, I called back again later Thursday night and spoke a third agent to see if the second agent had done what she said. This one said that the system would reject the manual posting from earlier because they were trying to post for the same day as ther other r/t. She said she was going to manually post them again, this time for the 14th to get around this problem.

Normally, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit for this to get done. However tomorrow completes my PLT challenge on another possibly repetetive set of segments (according to AAdvantage) and I want the status change to process on time to get in my upgrade request for Vegas in late October ASAP.

Tomorrow's run is a DFW-AUS r/t with an AUS-OKC r/t sandwiched in the middle. I'll have multiple DFW-AUS and AUS-DFW segments. I really don't want to have to ride AAdvatages a$$ again next week.

So, is there something I need to do in the future to ensure that miles for repeat or odd segment trips post properly and on-time?

Last edited by oneant; Sep 21, 2007 at 2:31 pm
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by oneant
I flew DFW-AUS r/t twice on 9/15. I booked the first ticket online, but had to call to book the second due to the duplicate reservation policy not allowing you to book the same thing twice on a single day online.

I flew both r/t's. On Tuesday, the miles for the morning r/t posted, but not the afternoon r/t. Called AA cust serv. The AAgent explained that it was by design (the system rejecting double postings), that she would manually post them for me, and that I should see them within 48 hours.

On Thursday afternoon I check again. Nothing posted. I also receive a postcard from AAdvantage telling me that the miles for the flight in question were already posted. I call again. This AAgent tells me that the first agent never actually attempted to post the miles--her reason was that, if the first agent had actually manually posted them, it would not allow her to manually post them again...which it allowed. She also said that she would note my account with what transpired.

Out of curiosity, I called back again later Thursday night and spoke a third agent to see if the second agent had done what she said. She said that the system would reject the manual posting because they were trying to post for the same day as ther other r/t. She said she was going to manually post them again, this time for the 14th to get around this problem.

Normally, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit for this to get done. However tomorrow completes my PLT challenge on another possibly repetetive set of segments (according to AAdvantage) and I the change to process quickly to get in my upgrade request for Vegas in late October ASAP.

Tomorrows run is an DFW-AUS r/t with an AUS-OKC r/t sandwiched in the middle. I'll have multiple DFW-AUS and AUS-DFW segments. I really don't want to have to ride AAdvatages a$$es again next week.

So, is there something I need to do in the future to ensure that miles for repeat or odd segment trips post properly and on-time?
How can the challenge end on the 22nd of the month?

You need 90 days and it has to start on the 1st or 15th of the month.

That said, I had the same thing happen once, and as hard as the AAdvantage AAngel tried to fix it, she couldn't until she put a different date.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:37 pm

I'd only note that there is a well-discussed trick to bypass this -- that is, omitting the AAdvantage number from the second reservation until after it is ticketed.

Mike
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrzej
How can the challenge end on the 22nd of the month?
Because when tomorrow's flight miles post, it will put me over 10000 EQPs within the challenge window. My actual challenge dates are 16Aug-15Nov.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Because when tomorrow's flight miles post, it will put me over 10000 EQPs within the challenge window. My actual challenge dates are 16Aug-15Nov.
That was my point. You have all the time in the world to post tommorow's 2nd trip manually.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Normally, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit for this to get done. However tomorrow completes my PLT challenge on another possibly repetetive set of segments (according to AAdvantage) and I want the status change to process on time to get in my upgrade request for Vegas in late October ASAP.
The longer I wait to request the upgrade to Vegas, the more PLT's that will possibly jump in ahead of me.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
My recollection is that the only way to get them to post is to have an agent manually post the second trip with an altered date. Armed with the two ticket numbers, it should not be too hard to convince them to do this.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yul2005
My recollection is that the only way to get them to post is to have an agent manually post the second trip with an altered date. Armed with the two ticket numbers, it should not be too hard to convince them to do this.
I guess I'll see tomorrow if if the 2nd, and 3rd, call made the difference.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Need some help from you experts here. In AUS during my MR today, I checked the miles and they still hadn't posted for the 2nd DFW-AUS r/t on 15 Sep. So I called a third time. (BTW, when I got home tonight at about 9pm I had yet another postcard from AAdvantage--from my telco on 20 Sep--telling me that the miles I called about had already been posted. Again, I apparently spoke to a completely incompetent AAgent).

My patience is wearing thin. I got the names of the AA CSR and her supervisor this morning, and the supervisor said I should definitely have the miles posted by Monday. He says that he posted them with flt # 9999. I get a different story each time I call as to why the miles didn't post the previous time.

If Monday rolls around and the 2nd r/t from 15 Sep has not posted, I'm going to have to count to more than 10 before calling AAdvantage again. I really hate being an AA$$ to the random AAgent, but I've had it.

I know what to do going forward, but is there ANYTHING I can do to get a competent AAgent on the phone who will fully understand the situation and be able to properly post my miles?
Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The longer I wait to request the upgrade to Vegas, the more PLT's that will possibly jump in ahead of me.
There might already be too many EXPs and PLTs ahead of you.

It really seems a lot of stress over upgrading for a DFW-LAS trip, especially since you have to buy the upgrades, since I assume you won't have 10K post qualifying EQMs
Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
There might already be too many EXPs and PLTs ahead of you.

It really seems a lot of stress over upgrading for a DFW-LAS trip, especially since you have to buy the upgrades, since I assume you won't have 10K post qualifying EQMs
Actually, I will have 10k post-qualifying EQM's. If EXPs get the upgrades, so be it. If it goes to PLT's, then we stand a chance. Understand, due to conflicting schedules, this is the first time my wife have had a chance to travel somewhere together for pleasure in about a year. Maybe to you it's paltry and insignificant and not worth the hassle, but it sure would be nice to upgrade for us. Honestly--and don't take offense, and I don't mean to be harsh--but if you have nothing to add to the issue at hand, I don't care about your opinion as to my reasons.

My stress and frustration at this point has to do more with AAdvantage cust serv complete incompetence than anything else. How hard is it to properly post miles that I've flown? Apparently, it's beyond their capability.

Last edited by oneant; Sep 23, 2007 at 2:05 am
Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD
This is a common problem...it happened with just about everone who did MRs for the DAL promo early last year. The system will reject any flight that departs the same airport within a certain amount of time of something already posted, whether you book it on separate reservations or not. It has to be manually posted by an ACS rep and they will usually have to do the "Flight 9999" thing on a different date to fool the system into accepting the flight. Just hang onto your boarding passes, ACS can get it taken care of. It is not incompetence as much as it is figuring out how to get it posted so the system accepts the flight. Since flights take 48 hours once submitted to appear on your account, often even the rep will not know if it "worked" until that point.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Both of the AAdvantage postcards I've received were dated the day after my call, which says that only 24 hours is what it takes for the system to know whether it's accepted or not. So I don't know if I believe that an AAgent wouldn't know after the 24 hour mark.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Timeline so far:
9/15 - flew two r/t's
9/18 - I call AAdvantage after only one r/t posts, and am told to wait 48 hours for the manual post to show
9/20 - I call AAdvantage since the flight did not post, and again am told to wait 48 more hours since it wasn't done right the first time
9/22 - I call AAdvantage again since the flight still has not posted, this time speaking with a supervisor who assures me that I'll be satisfied this time (got the names of the AAgent and supervisor)
9/24 - I call AAdvantage yet again after the flight still fails to post, and the AAgent suggests I wait an add'l 24 hours since Sunday may have delayed the posting (got her name as well)
9/25 - my flights from 9/22 post but still no sign of the missing 9/15 r/t

Now, I'll be calling back Tuesday morning to get this resolved. Every time I call I'm told to be patient. Well, my patience has run out. I'm seriously about to come unglued if I get the same story in the morning.

Any suggestions on making any progress? Here it is a week after the miles should have originally posted and I am no further along than I was 7 days ago. Is there a specific person, or department--other than the main AAdvantage desk--that I should ask for?

Also, and I feel like I'm nit-picking here but, my last segment on 9/22 should have put me over into PLT through a challenge and thus should have received the 100% bonus miles. Since the missing r/t has not posted, this didn't happen. Should I press the issue with AAdvantage?

Last edited by oneant; Sep 25, 2007 at 2:13 am
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Well, as expected, I got the "party line" again when I called this morning. "Sir, it will take 24-48 hours before those miles will post." Although, this time, the AAgent I spoke with on Monday actually checked and made a notation in my account this morning that she has manually posted the miles with a "force" flag for different flight numbers on a different day.

I think I may have actually reached an AAgent who knows what they're doing. Although, today's AAgent and Supervisor were, as usual, repetitive and unhelpful.

I'm actually hopeful, for the first time since I took the flights, that the miles will post by Thursday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.