Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA says no to cash onboard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:34 pm

If they are going to go totaly cashless then perhaps AA needs to come with some system for other people such as pre-paid vouchers or a pre-paid card for onboard purchase. I'm sure the check-in machine could print out an extra slip for a voucher, or there could be machines for cards. This all is extra work for AA and probably not worth it to them, but would be a better option for those without a CC than going hungry on a long flight.

Or perhaps they could give onboard purchase credits to Elite's just as they do they 10,000 miles upgrade credits though the mag strip on your card. Again another silly idea, but maybe worth something.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hbiglin
If they are going to go totaly cashless then perhaps AA needs to come with some system for other people such as pre-paid vouchers or a pre-paid card for onboard purchase. I'm sure the check-in machine could print out an extra slip for a voucher, or there could be machines for cards. This all is extra work for AA and probably not worth it to them, but would be a better option for those without a CC than going hungry on a long flight.

Or perhaps they could give onboard purchase credits to Elite's just as they do they 10,000 miles upgrade credits though the mag strip on your card. Again another silly idea, but maybe worth something.
The credits are in the mag strip? I thought they were just stored in the AA computer? Why would they need to put your upgrade credits in the mag strip?
Old May 21, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Starting June 1, 2009 AA cabins will go cashless

"On all flights within the U.S. and between U.S. and Canada, we’re keeping it simple by eliminating the need for you to carry small bills and change onboard to pay for small snacks, alcoholic beverages, light meals, or headsets."

http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...g/cashless.jsp

Something that I found interesting:
Q: Are credit cards accepted on American Eagle and AmericanConnection?
A: Not at this time.
Old May 30, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Outrageous! Going cashless may be convienent for the airline but it is terribly inconvienent for those who do not have plastic. I read American's FAQ's concerning the cashless cabin. I quote Question #7 below:

"What about customers who don't carry a credit card - how will they be able to pay?

We anticipate that most of our customers will be prepared for cashless cabins as the vast majority of our tickets are purchased with credit cards."

That did not really address the issue. OK, so the vast majority of tickets are purchased with credit cards. But NOT ALL are. And there still are some of us, albeit a small minority, who deal in cash and despise plastic. Whenever I pay for a ticket I pay cash.
Old May 30, 2009, 2:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon

That did not really address the issue. OK, so the vast majority of tickets are purchased with credit cards. But NOT ALL are. And there still are some of us, albeit a small minority, who deal in cash and despise plastic. Whenever I pay for a ticket I pay cash.
Not even a debit card linked to a bank account, which works the same as cash?

If not, I'd suggest bringing something on board.

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Outrageous! Going cashless may be convienent for the airline but it is terribly inconvienent for those who do not have plastic. I read American's FAQ's concerning the cashless cabin. I quote Question #7 below:

"What about customers who don't carry a credit card - how will they be able to pay?

We anticipate that most of our customers will be prepared for cashless cabins as the vast majority of our tickets are purchased with credit cards."

Then I'd suggest you bring your food on board with you. Don't make this harder than it has to be. If you despise credit, get a debit card. If you refuse to do that and you refuse to bring your meal on board with you, then use that "cash" your packin' to buy a ticket in the front cabin.

If your unwilling to do any of those things, well, then I guess you aren't very hungry...

Regards
Old May 30, 2009, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Legality of refusing to accept cash in the US:

Question I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq...l-tender.shtml
Old May 30, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Legality of refusing to accept cash in the US:

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq...l-tender.shtml
I didn't get the sense that the poster was claiming that it was illegal, just that it was "outrageous."

Regards
Old May 30, 2009, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. There are, of course, prepaid Visa and Mastercard cards that are reloadable. They do not contain the balance on the mag strip - that is in the computers at Visa or Mastercard. What would AA do if you charged $20 in food and drink on a card that had a balance near zero? They wouldn't know, of course, until after you had departed the flight. If it wasn't issued in your name, there would be nothing to associate to you, unless they enter your seat number, and even then it is often possible to switch seats. There will be some loss on this, but I guess AA figures it will be less than their FAs steal from them now. Like I said, interesting.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this change the procedures of selling earphones? Typically on flights I've been on, the FA walks through the main cabin with nothing but a bunch of earphones in their cupped hands. Will they be now walking through with earphones in one hand and card machine in the other, or selling earphones from the cart, or what?
Old May 31, 2009, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon quoting AA
"We anticipate that most of our customers will be prepared for cashless cabins as the vast majority of our tickets are purchased with credit cards."
But you no longer need a credit or debit card to purchases online at aa.com!

So that brings up the question, on GoGo-equipped flights, can you pay for the Boston Market sandwich with PayPal?
Old May 31, 2009, 9:43 pm

Wirelessly posted (Iphone.: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Just thought about unaccompied minors whose parents give them cash for bob. They are out of luck. I hope that aa somehow makes the no cash policy known when an unaccompanied minor reservation and/or fee is collected.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 777lover
Wirelessly posted (Iphone.: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Just thought about unaccompied minors whose parents give them cash for bob. They are out of luck. I hope that aa somehow makes the no cash policy known when an unaccompanied minor reservation and/or fee is collected.
Maybe the FAs will just comp their BOB. When US did their drinks for sale in Y, they comped non-alcoholic beverages for UMs. I can't imagine this affects too many people, and if I was a parent in this day and age I would make sure my child traveling as a UM had been fed before leaving for the airport and certainly before boarding the plane.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
On AA#1512 from DFW to DCA yesterday (May 31), one of the F/A's made a PA announcement that we were flying on the last day they'd accept cash for drinks, headsets, etc. and that starting June 1 plastic only was the rule.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by 777lover
A similar concern was expressed in the first post of this thread.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Maybe the FAs will just comp their BOB.
Yes, they will. As was confirmed in the second post of this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.