Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink prices at various Admirals Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Drink prices at various Admirals Clubs

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that there is a wide variety of drink prices at different ACs.

For example, the DFW B Admirals Club Service Center charges $7.50 for a glass (well, mini-bottle) of white while.

Across the highway, the DFW C Admirals Club charges only $6 for a glass of the house wine -- so you save 20% by just choosing a different terminal!

Any other drink price reports you want to share?

Greg
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
They charge $2.00 for a bottle (arrowhead or similar) of water at the LAX club. AA should be ashamed of this.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nroscoe
They charge $2.00 for a bottle (arrowhead or similar) of water at the LAX club. AA should be ashamed of this.
No kidding! The drinks are cheaper on board the aircraft!! For the cost of an AC membership, I'd expect a discount from the in-flight prices.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
There is ample non-bottled water to drink at the A/C. AA also charges $2 for bottled water in Y on domestic flights - although I believe that the bottles you get at the A/C are larger - and $2 is usually cheaper than I can find bottled water at the airport concession stands.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oneant
No kidding! The drinks are cheaper on board the aircraft!! For the cost of an AC membership, I'd expect a discount from the in-flight prices.
Ok how much (less) did you pay to purchase a bottle on water on board?
That said is it really possible that some spend time comparing the cost of drinks between various clubs??
Isnt strange that I find that my time can be put to more productive use?

mike
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
$2 for water in the AC. the difference vs other parts of the airport is symbolic. the point is AA charging well above cost pricing for something when they already charge for membership, wifi, drinks onboard, etc. I think they are doing their brAAnd a diservice will all this nickel & diming, or in this case dollaring.

(if they charged $1, likely 5x their actual cost, for water bottles in the AC or onboard you wouldn't hear any complaints from me.)
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
$0 (^) + tips () if you have the right piece of shiny plastic.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
$2 for water in the AC. the difference vs other parts of the airport is symbolic. the point is AA charging well above cost pricing for something when they already charge for membership, wifi, drinks onboard, etc. I think they are doing their brAAnd a diservice will all this nickel & diming, or in this case dollaring.

(if they charged $1, likely 5x their actual cost, for water bottles in the AC or onboard you wouldn't hear any complaints from me.)
Water and sodas are both free at the AC. However, not bottled water nor canned sodas - those you pay for. If you don't want to pay the $2, bring an empty bottle in w/you and fill it from the readily available ice water.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond

This is a common pricing strategy known as price discrimination. Movie theaters do exactly the same thing. The idea is that people are willing to pay different amounts to join the AC. Some are willing to pay very little (they can't join). Others are willing to pay exactly the fee and nothing more. Still others, are willing to pay even more than the fee. AA can't easily ask each person how much they are willing to pay to join for a year, and then charge them that amount, so they use this method instead. Those willing to pay only the fee and nothing more, do just that. Those willing to pay more will pay the fee, and buy waters, drinks, etc.

Movie theater, pro sports, and many others use this form of price discrimination. You pay your $12 to get in (in NYC), then those willing to pay more buy the sodas, popcorn, and juju beans. The way to think of this is that the AC is not just a lounge, but an entire basket of goods: lounge, WiFi, drinks, bottled water, etc. People have different willingnesses to pay, so AA makes different-sized bundles available to each person in order to maximize the amount of money they can take it. In fact, this is a similar strategy to the one they use when pricing airline tickets (F v. J v. Y) ...

/cp

Last edited by cparekh; Aug 28, 2007 at 8:04 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Don't forget the tip, even if you have vouchers to use by virtue of traveling "internationally" in F/J or being a non-AA OW Sapphire or Emerald. $1 for each visit to the bar, $2 if you also get something to eat (or are feeling generous).

The subcontracted bartenders depend on tips to supplement their meager salaries!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:39 pm

Why will the AC not be like CO, DL or NW in offering free drinks with membership?

If not then how about a lower fixed price. My idea would be 4-5 dollars like on the plane on the high end.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Have three drinks

Then the price becomes far less relevant.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The subcontracted bartenders depend on tips to supplement their meager salaries!
It's amazing how many people just can't bring themselves to drop a buck for the bartender! I work with a guy who refuses to tip anyone who performs a service that in his words "I can do myself". He still hasn't explained how he could cut his own hair; the flowbee maybe!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oneant

You pay nothing for drinks in AAdmiral's clubs (apart from tips...) if you have a BA Silver or Gold card.

Does this apply to all oneworld partners?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by krug
Does this apply to all oneworld partners?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.