Wiki Posts
Search

EXP, PLT, GLD downgrades

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
EXP, PLT, GLD downgrades

Say you're an EXP or PLT and you fail to qualify for even GLD the following year. Does AA step you down one level (EXP-->PLT, or PLT-->GLD) or is it a "go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200" sort of thing while they strip you back down to non-elite?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by oneant
Say you're an EXP or PLT and you fail to qualify for even GLD the following year. Does AA step you down one level (EXP-->PLT, or PLT-->GLD) or is it a "go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200" sort of thing while they strip you back down to non-elite?
Usually a one level drop... a "soft landing" as it were. But that was last year. This year could be different.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's just one of many threads discussing the soft landing at AA:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...t=soft+landing
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:29 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Say you're an EXP or PLT and you fail to qualify for even GLD the following year. Does AA step you down one level (EXP-->PLT, or PLT-->GLD) ...
Yes, it's the so-called "soft-landing" approach. I don't know if every carrier does it, but DL certainly does. I had status with DL for almost 3 years after I quit flying them completely. AS does -not- do it. I stopped flying them and lost all status on January 1 of the new year.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Yes, it's the so-called "soft-landing" approach. I don't know if every carrier does it, but DL certainly does. I had status with DL for almost 3 years after I quit flying them completely. AS does -not- do it. I stopped flying them and lost all status on January 1 of the new year.
Um, you might have got lucky there. DL never had a soft landing policy that I know of. But they made exceptions in 3 specific years: the year of the ComAir strike (where you actually retained your status), 2003 (when draconian changes were made to the program), and 2007 (after emerging from bankruptcy).
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
UA certainly doesn't bother with a soft landing, even for those who have been 1K members for multiple consecutive years.

I didn't leave UA; UA left me as they've essentially pulled out of the NYC market--relegating it to a feed market + 2 PS routes.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Globehopper
UA certainly doesn't bother with a soft landing, even for those who have been 1K members for multiple consecutive years.

I didn't leave UA; UA left me as they've essentially pulled out of the NYC market--relegating it to a feed market + 2 PS routes.
There are MANY reasons never to fly UA. Thanks for adding a couple more.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
I have a coworker who claims to have dropped straight from Platinum to nothing; and this was just two years ago.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
I have a coworker who claims to have dropped straight from Platinum to nothing; and this was just two years ago.
No offense, but why post this? It's purely anecdotal and 100% untrue. Guaranteed. All it does is introduce misinformation.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
Um, you might have got lucky there. DL never had a soft landing policy that I know of. But they made exceptions in 3 specific years: the year of the ComAir strike (where you actually retained your status), 2003 (when draconian changes were made to the program), and 2007 (after emerging from bankruptcy).
I had a "soft landing" from Delta for a couple of years around 2000, after moving my flying to AA. I got no direct benefit from it, as I didn't fly DL at all during that period, but it let me win the "most years of consecutive elite status with any one airline" award at the San Diego FT Do in July 2001. I had 10 or 11 with Delta, the most recent two at that point without flying them at all. (IIRC, the prize was a baseball cap advertising a movie.)
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
I had a "soft landing" from Delta for a couple of years around 2000, after moving my flying to AA. I got no direct benefit from it, as I didn't fly DL at all during that period, but it let me win the "most years of consecutive elite status with any one airline" award at the San Diego FT Do in July 2001. I had 10 or 11 with Delta, the most recent two at that point without flying them at all. (IIRC, the prize was a baseball cap advertising a movie.)
I think 2 of the 3 occasions I referred to were consecutive, and that is what you and SquareDanceGuy might have benefited from.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Seeing as how I asked about AA and not all the other airlines I DON'T fly (this being the AA forum and all...thx to the rest of you anyway), I presume that pkerr, SDGuy, and FWAAA answered the question. Thanks you three. Much appreciated.

By the way, that's a fantastic policy. If you've hit EXP or PLT, you really deserve more than just that following years worth of benefits.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR

By the way, that's a fantastic policy. If you've hit EXP or PLT, you really deserve more than just that following years worth of benefits.
Yes, it is a great policy, but why do you feel you DESERVE this? Do you believe that since you paid a movie theater to watch Rush Hour 3 that you are entitled to watch Spiderman 3 as well, since it is older and less 'hot'?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
No offense, but why post this? It's purely anecdotal and 100% untrue. Guaranteed. All it does is introduce misinformation.
Welcome to the new and improved FT. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: AA, United
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
Did she platinum on a challenge or get a gift of status? that might explain it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.