EXP, PLT, GLD downgrades

 
Old Aug 17, 07, 4:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,016
EXP, PLT, GLD downgrades

Say you're an EXP or PLT and you fail to qualify for even GLD the following year. Does AA step you down one level (EXP-->PLT, or PLT-->GLD) or is it a "go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200" sort of thing while they strip you back down to non-elite?
oneant is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 4:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St Louis, MO
Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Posts: 2,912
Originally Posted by oneant View Post
Say you're an EXP or PLT and you fail to qualify for even GLD the following year. Does AA step you down one level (EXP-->PLT, or PLT-->GLD) or is it a "go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200" sort of thing while they strip you back down to non-elite?
Usually a one level drop... a "soft landing" as it were. But that was last year. This year could be different.
pkerr is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 4:26 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Here's just one of many threads discussing the soft landing at AA:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...t=soft+landing
FWAAA is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 4:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Posts: 6,411
Originally Posted by oneant View Post
Say you're an EXP or PLT and you fail to qualify for even GLD the following year. Does AA step you down one level (EXP-->PLT, or PLT-->GLD) ...
Yes, it's the so-called "soft-landing" approach. I don't know if every carrier does it, but DL certainly does. I had status with DL for almost 3 years after I quit flying them completely. AS does -not- do it. I stopped flying them and lost all status on January 1 of the new year.
CloudCoder is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 5:22 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC (but temporarily MIA)
Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Posts: 29,628
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
Yes, it's the so-called "soft-landing" approach. I don't know if every carrier does it, but DL certainly does. I had status with DL for almost 3 years after I quit flying them completely. AS does -not- do it. I stopped flying them and lost all status on January 1 of the new year.
Um, you might have got lucky there. DL never had a soft landing policy that I know of. But they made exceptions in 3 specific years: the year of the ComAir strike (where you actually retained your status), 2003 (when draconian changes were made to the program), and 2007 (after emerging from bankruptcy).
vasantn is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 8:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy View Post
Yes, it's the so-called "soft-landing" approach. I don't know if every carrier does it, but DL certainly does. I had status with DL for almost 3 years after I quit flying them completely. AS does -not- do it. I stopped flying them and lost all status on January 1 of the new year.
UA certainly doesn't bother with a soft landing, even for those who have been 1K members for multiple consecutive years.

I didn't leave UA; UA left me as they've essentially pulled out of the NYC market--relegating it to a feed market + 2 PS routes.
Globehopper is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 8:27 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,620
Originally Posted by Globehopper View Post
UA certainly doesn't bother with a soft landing, even for those who have been 1K members for multiple consecutive years.

I didn't leave UA; UA left me as they've essentially pulled out of the NYC market--relegating it to a feed market + 2 PS routes.
There are MANY reasons never to fly UA. Thanks for adding a couple more.
millionmiler is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 9:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 444
I have a coworker who claims to have dropped straight from Platinum to nothing; and this was just two years ago.
SuperSnoop is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 9:43 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC (but temporarily MIA)
Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Posts: 29,628
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
I have a coworker who claims to have dropped straight from Platinum to nothing; and this was just two years ago.
No offense, but why post this? It's purely anecdotal and 100% untrue. Guaranteed. All it does is introduce misinformation.
vasantn is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 9:49 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 22,480
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
Um, you might have got lucky there. DL never had a soft landing policy that I know of. But they made exceptions in 3 specific years: the year of the ComAir strike (where you actually retained your status), 2003 (when draconian changes were made to the program), and 2007 (after emerging from bankruptcy).
I had a "soft landing" from Delta for a couple of years around 2000, after moving my flying to AA. I got no direct benefit from it, as I didn't fly DL at all during that period, but it let me win the "most years of consecutive elite status with any one airline" award at the San Diego FT Do in July 2001. I had 10 or 11 with Delta, the most recent two at that point without flying them at all. (IIRC, the prize was a baseball cap advertising a movie.)
Efrem is offline  
Old Aug 17, 07, 9:55 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC (but temporarily MIA)
Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Posts: 29,628
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
I had a "soft landing" from Delta for a couple of years around 2000, after moving my flying to AA. I got no direct benefit from it, as I didn't fly DL at all during that period, but it let me win the "most years of consecutive elite status with any one airline" award at the San Diego FT Do in July 2001. I had 10 or 11 with Delta, the most recent two at that point without flying them at all. (IIRC, the prize was a baseball cap advertising a movie.)
I think 2 of the 3 occasions I referred to were consecutive, and that is what you and SquareDanceGuy might have benefited from.
vasantn is offline  
Old Aug 18, 07, 2:11 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,016
Seeing as how I asked about AA and not all the other airlines I DON'T fly (this being the AA forum and all...thx to the rest of you anyway), I presume that pkerr, SDGuy, and FWAAA answered the question. Thanks you three. Much appreciated.

By the way, that's a fantastic policy. If you've hit EXP or PLT, you really deserve more than just that following years worth of benefits.
oneant is offline  
Old Aug 18, 07, 7:16 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SAT
Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
Posts: 5,796
Originally Posted by oneant View Post

By the way, that's a fantastic policy. If you've hit EXP or PLT, you really deserve more than just that following years worth of benefits.
Yes, it is a great policy, but why do you feel you DESERVE this? Do you believe that since you paid a movie theater to watch Rush Hour 3 that you are entitled to watch Spiderman 3 as well, since it is older and less 'hot'?
Deltahater is offline  
Old Aug 18, 07, 7:38 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Posts: 5,107
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
No offense, but why post this? It's purely anecdotal and 100% untrue. Guaranteed. All it does is introduce misinformation.
Welcome to the new and improved FT. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?
pauleeepaul is offline  
Old Aug 18, 07, 7:44 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA, United
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
I have a coworker who claims to have dropped straight from Platinum to nothing; and this was just two years ago.
Did she platinum on a challenge or get a gift of status? that might explain it.
brentley is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: