Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extreme last minute milessaver award travel - is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Extreme last minute milessaver award travel - is it possible?

Today is Thursday, and I'm looking to get out of the country on Sunday using my points. Ideally I'd like to go to italy, and the agent from AA said there were tickets for me there, but no tickets for the way back. Is there any way around this? I tried using my points online, and that didn't work either. any help is appreciated!
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:37 pm

Alternatives

Can you take a night train from Venice, Italy to Munich, Germany and fly home using an open-jaw ticketing arrangement (if there is a flight back from Germany.)

Tony
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
what is open jaw ticket agreement?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by frebay
what is open jaw ticket agreement?
It's exactly what was described in that post -- flying into one airport and out of another, which is allowed on a standard AA award.

Mike
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:19 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by frebay
Today is Thursday, and I'm looking to get out of the country on Sunday using my points. Ideally I'd like to go to italy, and the agent from AA said there were tickets for me there, but no tickets for the way back. Is there any way around this?
Call back, try to find an AAgent who will spend the required time to find a routing. There are literally hundreds of ways to get from there to here. Many of those ways involve multiple stops and/or partner airlines. It seems likely that there is at least one possible routing that will work. It's just a matter of searching long enough until you find it, or in this case getting an AAgent to search for you.

Many frequent flyers subscribe to ExpertFlyer.com, which lets us do our own searches. But if you need this info only occasionally, it's probably best to call AA and try to get them to search for you.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Call back, try to find an AAgent who will spend the required time to find a routing. There are literally hundreds of ways to get from there to here. Many of those ways involve multiple stops and/or partner airlines. It seems likely that there is at least one possible routing that will work. It's just a matter of searching long enough until you find it, or in this case getting an AAgent to search for you.

Many frequent flyers subscribe to ExpertFlyer.com, which lets us do our own searches. But if you need this info only occasionally, it's probably best to call AA and try to get them to search for you.
Are you suggesting that there is always at least one milesaaver seat available in summer for a return flignt from Europe on the date the OP wants it?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you suggesting that there is always at least one milesaaver seat available in summer for a return flignt from Europe on the date the OP wants it?
I don't believe that's what he said.

Mike
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:25 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Perhaps suggesting only what was said?

It seems likely that there is at least one possible routing that will work.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Try a AA partner award. They have free date and flight changes (no routing changes), and in my experience a lot of availability has opened up at the last minute (at least with BA).

I suspect, if you can't get your return now, you can get the day you want a day or two before it happens, though it's no guarantee.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:33 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm not even slightly suggesting that. It appears likely the AAgent checked only AA's non-stop routes. Certainly if the OP tried to book it onlilne, he/she checked only AA's routes. So I suggested finding an AAgent who would do a more thorough search.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
It seems likely that there is at least one possible routing that will work. It's just a matter of searching long enough until you find it, or in this case getting an AAgent to search for you.
a westbound transatlantic saver level award seat in august, on short notice, could be a very long search indeed...
Old Aug 18, 2007, 1:38 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by martin33
a westbound transatlantic saver level award seat in august, on short notice, could be a very long search indeed...
Everywhere except Rome has availability on 80% of Dates at Saver Level, MAD, FRA, etc.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

A newbie posts a somewhat arcane question and then disappears. Wow, that never happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.