Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does any know if Raleigh-Durham /RDU has Sky Caps?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Does any know if Raleigh-Durham /RDU has Sky Caps?

I haven't seen them the times that I've picked people up from there. How much should one tip a sky cap?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:12 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
RDU has Curbside checkin.

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/curbside.jhtml

Whether RDU charges $2 per bag (plus tip) to check you and your bag in is an airport by airport matter. MORE and more AA locations are going to that scheme .. so I would plan for it.

$2 per bag for the curbside checkin service
$1-$2 per bag tip is reasonable unless we are talking 5 sets of golf clubs.

==========
just looked at the fine print on the link provided .. RDU is NOT one of the airports where †No fee is charged at these airports for Curbside Check-In service.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
RDU has Curbside checkin.

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/curbside.jhtml

Whether RDU charges $2 per bag (plus tip) to check you and your bag in is an airport by airport matter. MORE and more AA locations are going to that scheme .. so I would plan for it.

$2 per bag for the curbside checkin service
$1-$2 per bag tip is reasonable unless we are talking 5 sets of golf clubs.

==========
just looked at the fine print on the link provided .. RDU is NOT one of the airports where †No fee is charged at these airports for Curbside Check-In service.
Thanks. I read that link and it mentioned that if "If you have bags to check, please use Curbside Check-In". Is this some sort of mandatory thing with AA? I've checked in on-line before and used the skycap to check my bags with CO in JAX and PHX. I would hope that AA would allow one to do the same.

Edit: The site does say that you can check in online and use curbside to check your bags.

Last edited by Playboy; Jul 29, 2007 at 3:41 pm
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:46 pm

Yep, AA has curbside checkin at RDU for $2/bag. Skycaps are available at baggage claim for tips.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Yep, AA has curbside checkin at RDU for $2/bag. Skycaps are available at baggage claim for tips.
So the Skycaps aren't outside when they take your bags and place onto the conveyer?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Playboy
So the Skycaps aren't outside when they take your bags and place onto the conveyer?
No, there are skycaps both outside (at ticketing level/level 3) to check your baggage and at baggage claim (level 1) to help you with your baggage. We have skycaps at both ends.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:43 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The difference is that Departure sky caps tag your bag. This is the $2 plus tip charge.

Sky caps at arrivals (baggage claim) only transport your bags to the curb. They work only on times and probably should be tipped a bit more than the checkin people.

Personally for arrivals at baggage claim I use one of those $3 Smart Carts and do it myself.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
upon departure, I don't think it makes much sense to use them if they cost money. It's just a few steps from the curb to the checkin counter (or machines), and unless you come at a very busy time (RDU-LGW) the wait is not bad (even without status).
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Even here we have not reached $2 as an excessive amount to pay for something ($10 is).

Not yet anyway, give it time.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:26 am
hm3

Programs: AA Gold, 1 mm
A bit OT, but I will be checking in at RDU next week for the first time; I have always been in transit before.

I have a 7:30am flight to MIA in F on Wed. From reading FT, I gather there is an elite check in in Terminal C. Is that still the case and can anyone suggest how early I need to check in at that time of day? Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: EXP 1MM
Aa @ Rdu

Originally Posted by hm3
A bit OT, but I will be checking in at RDU next week for the first time; I have always been in transit before.

I have a 7:30am flight to MIA in F on Wed. From reading FT, I gather there is an elite check in in Terminal C. Is that still the case and can anyone suggest how early I need to check in at that time of day? Thanks.
There's an AA first class check in Terminal C as well as a first class line thru security and an AC. I usually get to the airport 1 hour in advance of flight departure time, i.e. 1:15 at Preflight parking.

J...
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:33 pm
hm3

Programs: AA Gold, 1 mm
Thanks very much, mclejc. and RDUWanderer.

Last edited by hm3; Jul 30, 2007 at 4:01 pm Reason: Just getting all my thank yous in......
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:38 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$2+ per bag as an excessive amount.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by hm3
I'd leave my house around 1:30 before the flight, arrive at the airport about 1:15 before the flight, park, etc. That would leave a LOT of time.

If you're one of those "swing onto the wing as the plane departs" people, you could probably squeeze out another half hour or so.

In Terminal C, there's rarely a line at regular security and I've never seen one at first-class security. Kiosk check-in, if necessary, is trivial.

Non-status check-in lines can be long.

FC check-in line can be long before the RDU-LGW flight (departs around 6:30 p.m.).
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
The difference is that Departure sky caps tag your bag. This is the $2 plus tip charge.

Sky caps at arrivals (baggage claim) only transport your bags to the curb. They work only on times and probably should be tipped a bit more than the checkin people.

Personally for arrivals at baggage claim I use one of those $3 Smart Carts and do it myself.
Yeah, departure is what I'm referring to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.