Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed awaiting flight attendants..who are at McDonalds!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
You clearly shouldn't be directing any disrespectful name calling to anyone just because they disagree with you or don't wish to debate you. Read the TOS of using this website. Calling people suck ups makes you just as infantile as those wishing vile things to happen to you.
Funny you didn't call out the people who attacked me.... If nobody has anything worthwhile to post besides admonishing me, I think this thread is done and deserves to be closed.

Last edited by MileageGoblin; Jul 19, 2007 at 9:49 pm
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator hat on

This thread will remain open for now - and will either die of because it is no longer relevant, or it will be closed if members' posting of ad hominem* requires it. I would hope we are adult enough to keep on topic, disagree civilly and rationally and drop all the ad hominem, including pointed accusations.

Thanks.

Moderator hat off

* From The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition, 2000 (in part.)

Ad hominem / ad hom·i·nem

Adjective: Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.

The phrase now chiefly describes an argument based on the failings of an adversary rather than on the merits of the case: Ad hominem attacks on one's opponent are a tried-and-true strategy for people who have a case that is weak... The expression now also has a looser use in referring to any personal attack, whether or not it is part of an argument, as in It isn't in the best interests of the nation for the press to attack him in this personal, ad hominem way... Ad hominem has also recently acquired a use as a noun denoting personal attacks, as in “Notwithstanding all the ad hominem, Gingrich insists that he and Panetta can work together” (Washington Post). This usage may raise some eyebrows, though it appears to be gaining ground in journalistic style.

It doesn't wash well on FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Funny you didn't call out the people who attacked me.... If nobody has anything worthwhile to post besides admonishing me, I think this thread is done and deserves to be closed.
If you read his post he very much does call them out also... he puts you and their comments in the same category.

FA's deserve food. Your position has been that, 'yeah they deserve food, but getting that food shouldn't cause any delay or issues to MY flights, regardless of what the circumstances are - they should have planned better', and the overwhelming majority of FTers on this thread has been contrary to your opinion. I know that might be a bummer for you, but it is what it is.

Calling out to close the thread because you're getting widely disagreed with probably doesn't help your cause much .
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Moderator hat on

This thread will remain open for now - and will either die of because it is no longer relevant, or it will be closed if members' posting of ad hominem* requires it. I would hope we are adult enough to keep on topic, disagree civilly and rationally and drop all the ad hominem, including pointed accusations.

Thanks.

Moderator hat off

* From The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition, 2000 (in part.)

Ad hominem / ad hom·i·nem

Adjective: Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.

The phrase now chiefly describes an argument based on the failings of an adversary rather than on the merits of the case: Ad hominem attacks on one's opponent are a tried-and-true strategy for people who have a case that is weak... The expression now also has a looser use in referring to any personal attack, whether or not it is part of an argument, as in It isn't in the best interests of the nation for the press to attack him in this personal, ad hominem way... Ad hominem has also recently acquired a use as a noun denoting personal attacks, as in “Notwithstanding all the ad hominem, Gingrich insists that he and Panetta can work together” (Washington Post). This usage may raise some eyebrows, though it appears to be gaining ground in journalistic style.

It doesn't wash well on FlyerTalk.
Great... now we're going to have endless debate on which posts do or don't qualify as Ad hominem, and what the compensation for that should be, and whether or not it should be spelled as AAd hominem...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.