Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been paged in the AC to work out a seat swap?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
OP bought an hour of wi-fi access. During that hour, OP was paged. I think someone owes OP the unused remainder of that hour. I agree with OP: it is not appropriate to page someone in the AC regarding a seat swap. Either page 'em at the gate, or have the GA ask 'em about the seat swap as they are boarding, or possibly have the FA ask about the swap once on board.

I value my time in the AC. Please don't take that time away from me by hunting me down and paging me.
Agreed.

Don't forget that we pay for the AC. If I'm paying for comfort, please don't disturb me unless it's an emergency or in my interest.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I am finding the diversity of opinion interesting.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
What I read was that the OP was online. So, the computer had to be disconnected and packed up. When I am sitting in an airport lounge, it's a pain to pack up. Granted, ten minutes isn't a lot of time, but it can mean wading through a significant number of e-mail messages.
Gathering my papers, disconnecting the power cord, powering down, repacking the carry on, going to the desk, finding another area to spread out a bit, unpacking, re-booting, re-sorting my papers, re-connecting to T-Mobile , all took more than 3-4 minutes.

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Leave your laptop (yes, I would still do that despite Glasgow) for 3-4 mins, answer the page, decline politely, settle back in your seat.
My papers are private. I was using a new laptop replacing the one I had stolen in March. In my bag was also a brand new video beamer, likewise replacing one stolen at the same time. In fact both my bags were brand new as the recent theft involved just taking everything that I usually carry on.

No, I am not yet ready to let my valuables out of my possession AC or no AC, but thanks just the same.

BTW, I did not decline. I accepted the swap to help the other people out. That is not the issue.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Yes, I was concerned about that, too. I asked the AAngel that first, and she told me straight away that the GA had only given the other pax my seat number sending him to insist that the AAngel look me up by seat and flight, then page. I didn't like that so much either, but it was not my main concern.
Since either the husband or wife was in the other seat, why would they NOT know your seat number already?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Teacher, Totally on your side here. No question it was a silly thing to be paged for. The guilty AA staff need a good debriefing.

I do up to 13 flights in 2-3 week periods always using lounge to write reports and prepare for meetings. I'd be most annoyed in such circumstances as yours.

As for the tears ..well....what a load of crock! It's good you made a point of voicing yr displeasure in a civil way you may well have saved lots of other FT'ers the same incoveinience.

Bravo to you mate^
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:29 am

[COLOR="Navy"]The head GA comped me for drinks the whole flight... ...now my only concern is whether my new seat mate will want the power port.
How does a GA comp drinks for the flight? Does s/he let the FAs know?

Had not realized there is only one power port on the AB or HJ side, assuming that's where you were seated.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:18 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
I was paged at the AC on a CDG/ORD flight last year. No big deal. Both business class seats and no change in FEBO for me and it was another case of a married couple wanting to sit together.

I, however, did not have a laptop, etc. to pack up so I can understand that this was an inconvenience for Teacher49. Other than that, though, I don't see this as unusual.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Well, I'm sure glad that the one time an AAngel did it for us, the person she paged wasn't one of the tough customers posting here

Cheers.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajacpril
How does a GA comp drinks for the flight? Does s/he let the FAs know?

Had not realized there is only one power port on the AB or HJ side, assuming that's where you were seated.
The GA had a sheet that she was preparing to hand, I assume, to the Purser. She wrote my name, and her comments on that.

Yup. One power port to serve both seats in row 21.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:00 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
It still seems selfish to have another passenger paged in order to fix your own minor seating problem (especially when these problems are routinely fixed either at the gate or onboard the aircraft). Is OP entitled to his/her own time in the Admirals Club before a flight? Or do strangers have the right to interrupt that time (even if only for a few minutes).

What if OP was on an urgent phone call? Or doing something even more important, such as posting something on ...

... oops, gotta run, I'm being paged.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 1:57 pm

""So you decided to give your problem to me?" I asked. I told that I had been inconvenienced by the page and why. Her colleague looked at her, frowned, smiled at me then rolled her eyes at her colleague. And turned away.

At this point, the woman actually began to get wet around the eyes and sniffle, "They just don't like me at the AC. It was not my fault.

Now thing is I was not speaking loudly, I was not abusive or even close to being inappropriate. I was not happy, but was expressing a dissatisfaction quite civilly. The tears, IMO, were the "I'm caught with no defense but tears" kind of tears."

Cold. Very cold. If your precious time was so interrupted, why did you continue to pursue the issue instead of letting it drop?
And then you got an upgrade, comped drinks and are still whining!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by artemis021

Cold. Very cold. If your precious time was so interrupted, why did you continue to pursue the issue instead of letting it drop?

Are you perhaps confusing pre-boarding with an upgrade?

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jul 2, 2007 at 2:58 pm Reason: Fixed the quote!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by artemis021
Upgraded? I was upgraded? Dang. I missed that part. I guess I was too busy just a making poor woman cry, cold as I am. Now I am really feeling whiny.

As bad as I am, I just cannot figure out why the senior GA treated me so extra special nice and thanked me for helping them out.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:33 pm

As bad as I am, I just cannot figure out why the senior GA treated me so extra special nice and thanked me for helping them out.
Presumably because she didn't want you to abuse her, too.

Frankly, I agree with the person a few post up who said that if your time was so precious, why did you keep pestering people about it? Why not let it drop?

Looks to me like you were looking for a fight.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
If someone interrupts me, and I also consider my time to be valuable, it makes sense to let the person responsible for the intrusion know that it is unacceptable. I don't think Teacher49 was looking for a fight at all; rather, the OP was trying to figure out who was responsible and tell that person it was not acceptable/appreciated so as to prevent it from happening in the future.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wonder how many people here who are of the "leave me the freak alone when I'm in the club" opinion would not appreciate if the same were done to help them by paging someone else. And I'm not talking about those that will post here "I'd be fine sitting wherever just so the other person wouldn't be horribly inconvenienced." I mean those that actually feel that way.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.