Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routes that you always get upgraded on...?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
Routes that you always get upgraded on...?

I fly Cancun-DFW or Cancun-MIA, well, a lot....I have never, and I mean never in some 10 years plus of flying these routes failed to be upgraded. The CUN-MIA is not so surprising...its a short flight.
Do any of you have similar experiences, or is it just the "luck of the Mexican-Irish"
Old May 27, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
sure ... SAT-DFW (and the return) nearly always has seats in F (it's only about 250 miles). The only time I bother is if I want an earlier flight and there's only room in F ... even then, I don't volunteer to use a sticker, I just ask if there's room on the plane ... it works most of the time.

cheers!
Old May 27, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Bos/dfw/ogg
Old May 27, 2007, 9:14 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
DFW-MEM and return. I have frequented this route for years and have always gotten the EXP upgrade. Now, if only SAN-DFW would clear I would be OK!!
Old May 27, 2007, 9:28 am
asl

Programs: AA EXP
YYZ-LGA has been a sure thing for me.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Since I only missed 1 domestic upgrade in the last 3+ years and that was SFO-JFK, so I guess that's the only route that I had not "always" got upgraded on.

Every other route and that includes but it is not limited to:

TPA-DFW/ORD/LGA/MIA - worked same way in reverse*
MIA-LAX/RDU/ORD/JFK/DFW/SFO/LAS- same as above*
DFW-too many to list - same as above*
ORD-same as above*
SEA-DFW/ORD - same as above*
HNL-DFW/ORD - same as above*
ANC-DFW - same as above*

about 30-35 domestic segments a year. Life is good at the top!
Old May 27, 2007, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by andrzej
Since I only missed 1 domestic upgrade in the last 3+ years and that was SFO-JFK, so I guess that's the only route that I had not "always" got upgraded on.

Every other route and that includes but it is not limited to:

TPA-DFW/ORD/LGA/MIA - worked same way in reverse*
MIA-LAX/RDU/ORD/JFK/DFW/SFO/LAS- same as above*
DFW-too many to list - same as above*
ORD-same as above*
SEA-DFW/ORD - same as above*
HNL-DFW/ORD - same as above*
ANC-DFW - same as above*

about 30-35 domestic segments a year. Life is good at the top!
I didn't get upgraded on DFW-TPA last Wednesday. In fact, I was #3 on the UG list, even though I requested in UG in late January, checked in 24 hours in advance, and got on the airport UG list nearly six hours before flight time. TPA-DFW and reverse is far from a sure thing now. But flying AA into/out of TPA beats flying TED, even when I don't get upgraded!
Old May 27, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1 Million; HH Gold; HGVC
Originally Posted by AAir_head
sure ... SAT-DFW (and the return) nearly always has seats in F (it's only about 250 miles). The only time I bother is if I want an earlier flight and there's only room in F ... even then, I don't volunteer to use a sticker, I just ask if there's room on the plane ... it works most of the time.

cheers!
As a PLAT: SAT non stop to just about anywhere is about 98%. In fact, I usually get me and a companion upgraded. Mon mornings and Fridays can be a problem for Golds.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1 Million; HH Gold; HGVC
I should have also mentioned in my post above that I am not fully aware of every single AA non stop from SAT. There certainly might be some routes hard to upgrade. I suspect that is not the case - but not sure.

My regular routes are: SAT - DFW; SAT-ORD; SAT-LAX; SAT-SEA (thru DFW); SAT-STL.

Once i hit one of the hubs: ORD, DFW, STL - it is a crapshoot from there.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
I didn't get upgraded on DFW-TPA last Wednesday. In fact, I was #3 on the UG list, even though I requested in UG in late January, checked in 24 hours in advance, and got on the airport UG list nearly six hours before flight time. TPA-DFW and reverse is far from a sure thing now. But flying AA into/out of TPA beats flying TED, even when I don't get upgraded!
I had a talk once with one of the wonderful TAs at TPA about this. She told me that lately there are more EXPs out of the area but one of the main reason are cruises. If your flight(s) happen to coincide with cruise traffic, many of the passengers pay for upgrades offered by cruiselines or just buy an F ticket on their own. She said that it cuts down on the number of seats.

The YUP/KUP fares also effect the availibility and let's not forget award tickets. This area has always been but it's becoming even bigger vacation destination for many that don't want to bother with passports. Perhaps in the past they went down to Carribean but now they are happy coming here.

Yet as I stated above, I have never missed one upgrade to/from TPA. ^
Old May 27, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
I've never missed on SMF-DFW or reverse. On a few occasions I've gone to the gate at DFW to get on an earlier flight back to SMF and even then I've always been upgraded as well.
Old May 27, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I'd be curious to see what international trips people "always" get upgraded on. Would be useful when chosing routes, or thinking on MRs later this year.
Old May 27, 2007, 1:05 pm
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
MIA-EZE. Flying very frequently in the last months, never failed.
Old May 27, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Segments between SFO and LAX are pretty easy, too.
Old May 27, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I've never missed between ORD and LGA as a PLT out of the last dozen trips I've done... kind of strange as I usually fly at peak times on this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.