Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A300 routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory (never use it), CoOnepass, DeltaSkymiles, AAdvantage
A300 routes

hey,
This summer i'm wanting to fly the AB6 since i've never been on them. On wich (domestic) routes can i be on the AB6, i know JFK-MIA is one.

Thanks,
Airfrancefan
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:50 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
The only ones I'm aware of involve the Caribbean (and I'm sure they're are probably more) including --- SJU-MIA, SJU-MCO, SJU-JFK. Althought it's technically considered "Domestic" it's kind out of the mainstream mid-con & transcon flights.

I have one set for Monday to MIA...

Sincerely, - jdburns11
Old Apr 21, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Mia-mco
Old Apr 21, 2007, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Temper your expectations. F has the brown leather slidey seats that many 757s have, and is only 2-3 rows. Y is 2-4-2, large, and somewhat cramped. The exit rows in Y have limitless leg room but don't recline fully. I guess if not full the high ceiling could give the Y cabin a feeling of spaciousness. IMO the 777 or any 767 or 777 is a better experience, and the A300 and the 757 are a close race.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
They run to SDQ from MIA and JFK too. (though not domestic- still may be a cheap flight).

As stated previously don't expect too much, they're old, falling apart and even the FAs are dying for them to get rid of 'em. I hear a reliable rumor that they will be phased out at the end of this year (at least for SDQ - hooray!!).
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The AB6s are old, cavernous aircraft that AA uses on primarily leisure routes (JFK-SDQ/SJU/MIA/etc.) that also are major cargo markets.

I would agree that the 772 and 762/763 are much, much preferable. I would say that the AB6 is better than the 752 only in that it is a widebody. But the lavs are absolutely disgusting. In the end, I suppose it's a toss-up.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The AB6s are old, cavernous aircraft that AA uses on primarily leisure routes (JFK-SDQ/SJU/MIA/etc.) that also are major cargo markets.

I would agree that the 772 and 762/763 are much, much preferable. I would say that the AB6 is better than the 752 only in that it is a widebody. But the lavs are absolutely disgusting. In the end, I suppose it's a toss-up.
That's the ONLY plane in AA inventory I have not flown, but that's about to change. In mid-May I'm flying the A300 from MIA to JFK. Can't wait...

I did take the exit row seat in the back. Seatguru says it's the seat to have. I'm waitlisted for e-VIP upgrade as well as my final destination is LHR.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:39 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
A300

I flew my first mainline AA trip in 7 years this week--JFK-MIA and back on the A300. I have to say it is about the most uncomfortable wide body airplane I have ever been on. I am only 5'10" and I was kissing my knees. And the forward bulkhead is ridiculously uncomfortable.

On the return, the F/A's did a beverage service and then disappeared for the rest of the flight--

I advise avoiding the 300.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrzej

I did take the exit row seat in the back. Seatguru says it's the seat to have. I'm waitlisted for e-VIP upgrade as well as my final destination is LHR.
Hate to disagree with seatguru but if it's a full flight I would go for the forward bulkhead behind F - slightly less legroom (than exit row but more than regular Y), but for whatever reasons Y on a full A300 is like being in a crowded street fair. You can count on people hovering around you as somehow the routes AA flies the A300 seems to attract friends and family that travel in groups of 14. The bulkhead behind F is part or three or four rows before Door 2 which are a bit quieter.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can, try to get row 6! You will have about four feet of leg room! Only GAs can assign them, so arrive early. Also, board as soon as you can because no overhead bins are available right overhead, so you will need to grab space nearby before somebody else does.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
It looks like the 2 rows, row 4 & 6 are blocked for airport assignment. Hopefully my upgrades will come through, but if not, I will try for one of the economy seats in the front. Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:42 am

I finally rode the A300 down to San Juan on my current trip. I was originally scheduled on a 757 (in 10A), but that flight was canceled when MIA was getting hit by thunderstorms, causing havoc with their operations. I got moved to the 'bus but couldn't score an exit row. I was assigned a B seat and fortunately, the A seat remained open until they closed the door. The plane wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be...the cabin did have an airier feel to it.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Temper your expectations. F has the brown leather slidey seats that many 757s have, and is only 2-3 rows.
Not all of them. A few, IIRC, got the blue seats when they were converted from 3-class to 2. I've only been on the AB6 once or twice, in F, and I liked that the cabin was small but wide.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjoalfa
As stated previously don't expect too much, they're old, falling apart and even the FAs are dying for them to get rid of 'em. I hear a reliable rumor that they will be phased out at the end of this year (at least for SDQ - hooray!!).
I doubt the reliability of that rumour; leases on three AB6s expire next year, three more in 2009, nine more expire in each of 2010 and 2011. AA owns 10 more of them. Despite being fuel hogs and maintenance hogs, they carry freight like nothing else in the fleet besides the 777s.

Some have posted their belief that AA might actually re-lease these airplanes for short terms rather than return them. Dunno whether that will happen.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I doubt the reliability of that rumour; leases on three AB6s expire next year, three more in 2009, nine more expire in each of 2010 and 2011. AA owns 10 more of them. Despite being fuel hogs and maintenance hogs, they carry freight like nothing else in the fleet besides the 777s.

Yes! They allow AA to make a killing on freight to/from SDQ! (thanks to CAFTA-DR)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.