Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA luggage allowance when on AONEx RTW ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
AA luggage allowance when on AONEx RTW ticket?

Hi,
For domestic AA segments which were only available in D (Biz) and the others in A (First Class), how much luggage am I allowed to bring?

The ticket says 2 pieces, does this mean 2 pieces of 32kg (~65lbs) each?

I have one large suitcase and one large golfbag (both well over 50 pounds) since I am on a 7 month trip. Do you think I will have any trouble going JFK-SJU-DFW-LAX?

And also, which seat is best (I just want to eat and sleep) on the premium service transcon on the B767?
The lone middle seat 1D?

Thanks for your clarification.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
And, as a BA Gold (OW Emerald) member, which AA Lounge can I use on my regular domestic A (First) flights and which lounge on my premium transcon?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
2 pieces, subject to each airline's rules about checked baggage (for airline checking in with).

As BA Gold you can use Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge (where available) on all AA flights regardless of class of service.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
The ticket says 2 pieces, does this mean 2 pieces of 32kg (~65lbs) each?

I have one large suitcase and one large golfbag (both well over 50 pounds) since I am on a 7 month trip. Do you think I will have any trouble going JFK-SJU-DFW-LAX?
You are allowed 2 pieces. AAs limit for a piece is 23Kg (50Lb) , though you can take 1 golf bag of up to 70Lb in place of 1 normal piece

So you can take the golf bag but if the other bag is over 50Lb, then expect to be charged excess

Dave
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Sorry to say that AA is very tight on this. No exceptions! Also, as some folks on FT have been advising packing non- golf items in golf bags, AA and other airlines are now checking the contents of some golf bags.

All over the world there are stores and shops so you can buy what you need along the way.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinions.

Stores and shops do not help when you want to live for 7 months a decent lifestyle. Do you suggest to buy everything new in Chiang Mai, Philadelphia, Muscat, San Juan, etc. and then throw everything away. You know what footprint this leaves on the environment and how much that costs?

I am so glad some airlines do not care about luggage limitations. Well, my golf bag will be full of golf equipment as I always carry two sets (which I cannot buy or replace easily). Thanks for the heads up of the 70lbs golf bag. Looks like I have to limit the weight of the suitcase and use a large carryon as well, what I usually do not do.
The rule only leads to filling the overhead bins and causing delays during boarding.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some things you can easily buy along the way without worrying about the environment. Toothpaste, hair stuff, shampoo, sunscreen and etc. I travel often and have to travel light as I can't carry heavy bags. You learn as you go along.

I do a lot of washing out of clothes along the way. Sometimes I send out laundry in parts of the world where doing so is reasonably priced. I am a small person. My clothes and shoes are small and weight less than for a larger person.

Look also to what luggage you are using. It may be heavier than it needs to be. Obviously put your golf shoes and some of your golf clothing in your golf bag.

Sometimes few weeks prior to making a long trip, I set all the clothing and etc aside that I intend to pack. Then I actually wear the clothes and use the items to see how much I really use in a period of time similar to my trip. A real learning experience.

JDiver, our moderator, has wonderful packing and travel skills. I have learned and great deal from him and from Mrs. JDiver. You can do a Search on FT to find his posts on packing or write him a private message for links. He is a very helpful person.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I am on a long trip (7-8 months in very different climate zones!). It is not my first one involving 20+ flight segments around the world.

I cannot wash my suits personally and, of course, I do buy / use hotel amenities in the bathroom. Problematic are my books and document folders (intellectual capital in written form is heavy). Further, I have lots of winter heavy clothes (Philadelphia is not Scottsdale) I am bringing back to my family in CA. My family then returns everything to Germany. LH allows in F for Star Gold Members 3*70lbs. That is really fair. BA allows 3*50lbs in F.

My golfbag is full with 2 sets, ten dozen balls, 3 pairs of shoes, I know, I take golf way to seriously . But I love it!!! ^

Thanks for your tips! Others will appreciate them as well.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Do you suggest to buy everything new in Chiang Mai, Philadelphia, Muscat, San Juan, etc. and then throw everything away. You know what footprint this leaves on the environment and how much that costs?

I am so glad some airlines do not care about luggage limitations...
These two comments appear to be contradictory. I applaud your concern for the environment, but luggage places a burden on fuel efficiency, so in a sense, your "excess" bags contribute to the very problem you seem to be concerned with.
Two sets of clubs appears excessive. While I have a set I am fond of, it is no longer advantageous to bring it with me on golf trips involving air travel. The risk of loss or damage is too great. Further, most premium courses recognize this and are happy to provide an adequate set of rental clubs.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

I noticed AA does have a fair carryon allowance of one rollaboard that can be quite heavy (good for my reading material) and one regular laptop bag.
http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...llowance.jhtml

Honestly, 5-10kg extra weight do not lead to much higher fuel consumption. There are usually many pax with carryon only, so even if 50-100pax bring 5kg extra, it wouldn't matter much.

I am glad about some airlines that are easygoing regarding luggage, simply since I do not have to worry about anything when I fly with them.

Rental golf clubs are not what you want to use when you play at my level. Further, they do cost 40-60$ usually (times 50 rounds on my trip...adds up). Equipment does make a big difference, especially the shafts, look at the way the pros are hitting the ball nowadays ^. I have one golfbag with two sets of irons and woods (same Callaway clubs, different shafts) depending on the course and climate I use one or the other.

Sometimes few weeks prior to making a long trip, I set all the clothing and etc aside that I intend to pack. Then I actually wear the clothes and use the items to see how much I really use in a period of time similar to my trip.
That's interesting, however, have you done this for a 7-8 month trip through very different climate zones from 100F to 20F? Are the functions you attend the same you attend at home?

Circumstances alter cases!

Actually what bothers me is that AA allows everyone to bring the same amount of luggage, whether Oneworld Emerald in paid F or just discounted economy. This is too egalitarian!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA's F baggage allowance is a disgrace; Star Alliance is indeed much more friendly to those who shell out $12k for a ticket.

If you have any international segments on AA on your round the word ticket, I suggest you switch them to another carrier to avoid hassles; AA is the only carrier (at least on the transatlantic routes) with such restrictive premium class limit. My experience in Rome with a 28kg bag on AA on a paid premium ticket was terrible: after checking in I had to stand 15+ minutes in a separate line to pay the fine. And I ended up being charged the equivalent of $26 after two foreign exchange roundings.

Incidentally, you might want to fire off your thoughts to http://www.aa.com/contactaa
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
These two comments appear to be contradictory. I applaud your concern for the environment, but luggage places a burden on fuel efficiency, so in a sense, your "excess" bags contribute to the very problem you seem to be concerned with.
Carrying an extra 10-15 kgs of stuff on a 20 segment trip is far more environmentally efficient than buying and discarding same stuff 20 times.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
Carrying an extra 10-15 kgs of stuff on a 20 segment trip is far more environmentally efficient than buying and discarding same stuff 20 times.
Hillrider, Thanks for your support.

Not only environmentally, but also economically. Makes me wonder what some of you guys here wear...if you suggest to buy new all the time or wash yourself or give clothes to some developing country laundry service (theft!).

Of course, I tried to avoid AA as much as possible and did fly in on CX to JFK and will get back to Europe on BA (I have to as I use the BA exec. Club). Even BA's 3 bags of 50pounds is ridiculous, you cannot bring two really heavy bags.
Star Alliance allows 3 times 70 pounds on F RTW for Star Gold. Also, never had a problem when taking my parents luggage on my Star Alliance flight to make sure they have no hassle and can go with the carry-on only.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is all very interesting to me. I have never ever had an item of laundry stolen in all my travels. I never carry more baggage than I can handle entirely on my own. As I am getting older, I can carry less weight.

Yes, I do rehearse my clothing. I know how much I really need and the care required to make sure it looks nice. As I said early on in this thread, I am a small person. One pair of my shoes weighs far less than a pair of men's heavy shoes.

I wish the original poster of this thread safe travels and fair weather.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:35 pm

When we visit winter and summer climates in the course of a single trip, we add a down jacket and a warm sweater and not much else. OP's needs are more extravagant, bringing to mind "steamer trunk". That's well and good and not intended as a critical comment, but I wonder why a person who lives a lifestyle that demands all that stuff doesn't simply take along another 50 lb. bag and pay the fees for it when asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.