Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Business - AA interested in "unbundled" pricing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bernardd
There are other groups who do care, and who will pay a little more for miles and status. The key to making this work is pitching a 100% mileage product at a price premium which that group (and their employers!) will pay. The level of premium that will work is going to vary from customer to customer, as well as being dependent on the competition from WN, B6, VX etc etc.
I think you'll find that the landscape of the typical corporate travel department is shifting pretty dramatically in terms of the discretion afforded to employees. Many are already very strict in terms of selecting the cheapest option regardless of carrier, and force travelers trying to book a more expensive fare when a cheaper is available on the same flights to go through higher-level approvals (e.g. going from a cheap bucket to a more expensive one).

T&E/T&I is becoming quite the target of late as cost cutting measures abound across the corporate arena.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:57 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by MrMan
Interesting Dallas News article with WN response to AA ala carte. WN is picking up Dallas business travelers. Highlight....

"In a 2006 survey taken in markets that Southwest serves, 17 percent of customers who had taken four trips or more said they had flown Southwest the most often in the previous year and 30 percent had flown American Airlines the most.

But in a survey taken this year, Southwest had captured 24 percent of frequent travelers, and American had dropped to 21 percent.

Mr. Ridley acknowledged that other airlines may be right that they can make more money by charging fees despite the annoyance factor.

But they may be picking up $300 million in fees while losing $600 million in fares from passengers who go to Southwest or other airlines that don't charge fees, he said. "

Should be more interesting once Wright is gone in a couple of years

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.26ebba1.html
What's that old saying about your nose to spite your face? It would apply here.

Another example would be how GM cheaped out the old Malibu to save money upfront. It condemned the car to rental lots and not selling without significant incentives. The new Malibu is the complete reverse of that and GM can't build the car fast enough.

Cheapening the product rarely ever works.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by ndhapple

Another example would be how GM cheaped out the old Malibu to save money upfront. It condemned the car to rental lots and not selling without significant incentives. The new Malibu is the complete reverse of that and GM can't build the car fast enough.

That's must be why I can't get Avis to give me a damned Malibu.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by ndhapple

Indeed--American is trying to make their product worse and get people to pay the same money for it. A more successful strategy might be to make the product better to get them to pay more for it.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by jordyn
Indeed--American is trying to make their product worse and get people to pay the same money for it. A more successful strategy might be to make the product better to get them to pay more for it.
Isn't the usual counterargument based on the failure of MRTC?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
If AA messes with EQM/Segments and charges more for them I will jump ship I go to WN. DAL is a more convenient airport and is spite of all the jokes WN is a quality airline.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Isn't the usual counterargument based on the failure of MRTC?
That's the usual counterargument.

The counter-counter arguments are the premiums that actual good airlines are able to charge, statistics like the movement of fliers to Southwest in the article quoted above, and the ability for premium players in every other segment of the travel and service industries to command price premiums based on quality.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:25 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by jordyn
That's the usual counterargument.

The counter-counter arguments are the premiums that actual good airlines are able to charge, statistics like the movement of fliers to Southwest in the article quoted above, and the ability for premium players in every other segment of the travel and service industries to command price premiums based on quality.
And you're also forgetting the added brand equity that any such move would bring as well as the loyalty it would engender from the most important customers in the business, the frequent flier.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:13 am

Why are we reading this when oil is down 38% from its high??? It is trading at < $88 / bbl as of 08 October 2008. With the economy slowing down and airlines chasing fewer paying travelers, this seems like exactly the wrong time to do something so customer-unfriendly as introducing reduced- or no- EQM fare classes. If AA takes the AC approach, it may just push me all the way to always just flying the cheapest carrier regardless of affiliation (which would mean a lot of WN - but I would take them of only to spite AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.