Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use AA mileage to book a reward using Horizon Air?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Can I use AA mileage to book a reward using Horizon Air?

I need to get from LAX-RNO. When I check AA website it says operated by Horizon Air. I would like to use my mileage for this. I looked on AA's website but don't see Horizon Air as one of their partners for mileage. Does AA book mileag with Horizon?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lkohawaii
I need to get from LAX-RNO. When I check AA website it says operated by Horizon Air. I would like to use my mileage for this. I looked on AA's website but don't see Horizon Air as one of their partners for mileage. Does AA book mileag with Horizon?
Horizon and Alaska are owned by the same company.
Go here and select Alaska
https://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/V...artnerType=Air

You need to call AA to book partner award travel

At 391 miles, it really isn't worth 25k miles, IMHO
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:03 am

No... please don't use 25,000 miles on this! The fares can be as cheap as $70 each way, and even fully-flexible Y is only $145.

Definitely not a good way to spend your hard earned miles.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Also, check on alaskaair.com, you may find a cheaper fare than on aa.com.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
So, the answer is "yes you can...but don't"

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:35 am

I'd only note, adding to this, that the answer is no different than the last couple of times you asked this exact same question (about the exact same route, in fact):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528017
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521384

(And I agree with everyone else here. This route is as low as $59+ each way right now -- there's no reason to use miles for it.)

Mike
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nako
I'd only note, adding to this, that the answer is no different than the last couple of times you asked this exact same question (about the exact same route, in fact):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528017
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521384

(And I agree with everyone else here. This route is as low as $59+ each way right now -- there's no reason to use miles for it.)

Mike
Doesn't post much, but very single-minded

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Sorry didn't know that Alaka Air and Horizon Air were the same airlines. I knew from previous posts that I would need to call into the call center. I knew that I could get an Lax-RNO route through miles. I found a flight I was interested in and it said operated by Horizon Air. I couldn't find Horizon Air anywhere on AA partner page and yes, I did do a search....but nothing came up about FF miles.
So, no I haven't been ignoring all the helpful advice. Sorry I was too ignorant to realize that Horizon and Alaska Air were the same company. Maybe I need to get off this island more often so I know these things.
Sorry to anyone who feels I wasted their time.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Sorry didn't know that Alaka Air and Horizon Air were the same airlines. I knew from previous posts that I would need to call into the call center. I knew that I could get an Lax-RNO route through miles. I found a flight I was interested in and it said operated by Horizon Air. I couldn't find Horizon Air anywhere on AA partner page and yes, I did do a search....but nothing came up about FF miles.
So, no I haven't been ignoring all the helpful advice. Sorry I was too ignorant to realize that Horizon and Alaska Air were the same company. Maybe I need to get off this island more often so I know these things.
Sorry to anyone who feels I wasted their time.
No problem - we'll blame it on the maui wowie. Aloha!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badjuju
No problem - we'll blame it on the maui wowie. Aloha!
Thanks for the understanding. I wish I knew a fraction of what all of you know out there. I can't post much because I don't have much experience with miles. I am greatful to all the experts here who give advice. :-:
You need info on Hawaii I'll gladly share that.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:26 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I can't post much because I don't have much experience with miles.
Lack of experience doesn't seem to deter people from posting!

The perceived backlash from your recent post was due to two things:
1 - you've posted the exact same question three times now
2 - it's a terrible waste of miles to book LAX-RNO when that ticket can be bought cheaply

However, from previous posts it seems you don't actually want a ticket LAX-RNO. You only want one segment LAX-RNO as part of a bigger trip. So, you did have a valid question, and you're right, it is not immediately obvious that Horizon is part of Alaska Airlines. Hopefully you now have all the info you need. If not, search for more info and/or ask more questions (preferably just one time).

Happy travels!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Doesn't post much, but very single-minded

Cheers.
This was the reason I said I don't post much. Thank you for taking the time to explain what the others were feeling. I didn't explain the whole flight. Yes, I should have seen that people were saying don't waste the miles. For curosity sake this is my route:
HNL-LAX (LAX stopover)
LAX-RNO
RNO-SEA I will pay for this per advice here
SEA-HNL (open jaw)

Thanks to everyone here I khow this is possible and through experience I have found that if I have a few flights in mind the redemption goes a little smoother. Difficulty with redemption has moved this ticketing back. So, I looked online for flights that I could give the agent. I saw Horizon Air...didn't see it as a partner and did a search on it didn't see anything. Looking back at a past answer I see that someone mentioned Horizon Air. Now that I realize Alaska and Horizon are connected that post makes a whole lot more sense.

This time I hope I've explained...sorry I wasn't clear in the past. Thank you. I've now gotten my answer. I've learned that all this is possible through all of you experts here. I've now gotten my answer (if I could redeem miles for a Horizon flight) As I learn more I hope to ask less questions and be able to answer more.

Last edited by lkohawaii; Feb 16, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.