Search

AA 436 DFW-MIA (Feb7) Business is Booming

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum
AA 436 DFW-MIA (Feb7) Business is Booming

At boarding time on this 777 flight:

First Class Booked Full and Checked in Full (16); 19 EXP, PLT and GLD upgrades didn't clear.

They sell only two classes on this flight, so luckily I snagged a seat in the "business class" section. Those crusty old business class seats were feeling mighty good; I'm sure some of our fellow elites weren't so lucky.

FORTY (40!) people on the standby list. The screen at the gate was four pages (screens) long. Who knows how many they ultimately accomodated.

The earlier flight (2036) was also oversold and my standby didn't clear.

Probably others have seen this before, but I can't remember an upgrade list of 19 and standby of 40 on the same flight in a long time (if ever).
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It's an everyday occurrence nowadays. Flights are so full that all it takes is one delayed or cancelled flight and all of a sudden you have 150 passengers who need to be reaccommodated.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I walked by the DFW-TPA 7am flight on Wednesday and it was oversold, and they were solicitiing volunteers. Must be a lot of folks heading for the warmer climate in Florida this week.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
I walked by the DFW-TPA 7am flight on Wednesday and it was oversold, and they were solicitiing volunteers. Must be a lot of folks heading for the warmer climate in Florida this week.
Yeah, I can't even access the online seat assignment for my TPA-DFW flight on 2/25 because the seat map has already gone to airport control...
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:43 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The current once-a-day 777 is a nice flight for elites and upgraders compared to the Slave Ships or even Doggies. The premium cabin however many times is heavily booked with South American premium fliers or Europe fliers so it makes upgrades a challenge.

Hey is warm in MIA . what you expect . .people want to get out of the -10degree temps up north (I had -29 without windchill Saturday and would have loved SoBe had I had the opportunity ... ).
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
MIA-DFW 777 is the only upgrade I've had not clear so far this year. Although I don't think a standby list of 40 is all that out of line on a 777 flight. I've recently seen a standby list of 70 on a 737 ATL-DFW, and they weren't soliciting any volunteers!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:47 am
21A

I once saw a standby list of ~70 on an afternoon DFW-MIA 777. All groups had been called and only about 10 were still hanging out in the gate area, so I guess most saw how far down the list they were and gave up.

Although, incidentally, don't the pages show about 20 or 30 each? So 40 should only be about 2 pages...
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I used to fly AA 1614 DFW-MIA (the 11:30am 772 departure) regularly and always used miles to upgrade at least 9 months in advance (connecting at MIA to international), partly because I wanted to sit in the FS on DFW-MIA! Yes, the flight ALWAYS was overbooked.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Evening flights to MIA are full of non-revs. Especially on Fridays.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Evening flights to MIA are full of non-revs. Especially on Fridays.
Presumably not if there's a waitlist of 40 revenue passengers.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
MIA-DFW 777 is the only upgrade I've had not clear so far this year. Although I don't think a standby list of 40 is all that out of line on a 777 flight. I've recently seen a standby list of 70 on a 737 ATL-DFW, and they weren't soliciting any volunteers!

Seeing the same thing out of JFK where the gate board is rolling to multiple pages with standby names. Also agree that AA is not asking for volunteers but instead is rolling the names over to the next flight. Since I do not take many night flights (talk about delays) I am not sure what GAs are doing when the last flight of the day is coming up. Mabye some of our AA FT can provide their experience-are GAs asking for bumps of just forcing standbys to come back the next day.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
Presumably not if there's a waitlist of 40 revenue passengers.
Point is nonrevs are included on the standby list so it doesn't represent an accurate picture of "business is booming"
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Point is nonrevs are included on the standby list so it doesn't represent an accurate picture of "business is booming"
Good point. I never thought about whether the standby list includes non-revs, but I guess it makes sense that it does. Those guys need to be prioritized just like everyone else.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Seeing the same thing out of JFK where the gate board is rolling to multiple pages with standby names. Also agree that AA is not asking for volunteers but instead is rolling the names over to the next flight. Since I do not take many night flights (talk about delays) I am not sure what GAs are doing when the last flight of the day is coming up. Mabye some of our AA FT can provide their experience-are GAs asking for bumps of just forcing standbys to come back the next day.
AA will not ask for volunteers to accommodate stand-bys who are standing by on their on volition.
You can try to get on a different flight as a stand-by, but if it is the last flight of the day AA will advise you to simply show up for your correct, booked and paid for flight the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.