Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Comparison: 777-200 vs. 767 as Int'l. Business Class Definitive Thread (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparison: 777-200 vs. 767 as Int'l. Business Class Definitive Thread (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 2:20 am

If I were paying for J class , I would use IB rather than AA on a 767. I would use AA on a 777 only if I could use a EVIP to 1st. AA J class is fairly poor product all around especially on the 767 IMHO. The entertainment system is a joke. J class on AA is for upgraders and corporate clients tied to AA only. It is nice if you can get a 767 on a domestic route but on longhaul BA,LA,RJ,CX,JL and even IB have a better hard product.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 6:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by anc305
If I were paying for J class , I would use IB rather than AA on a 767. I would use AA on a 777 only if I could use a EVIP to 1st. AA J class is fairly poor product all around especially on the 767 IMHO. The entertainment system is a joke. J class on AA is for upgraders and corporate clients tied to AA only. It is nice if you can get a 767 on a domestic route but on longhaul BA,LA,RJ,CX,JL and even IB have a better hard product.
Other than to complain, what does this have to do with the comparison that the OP is asking for? How does knowing about all these other airlines (and how much better they are) address the comparison on AA)?

By the way, I was recently on an AA 777 and our J seats were inop, so they moved us to F. The improvement was marginal at best. So, find the comment that F is a substantial improvement over J to be questionable, at best. Finally, comparing international carriers to domestic US carriers is apples and oranges.

"Hi, who makes the better burgers, A or B."
"Burgers suck, I only eat chicken because it's better."

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Just got back form ORD-LHR-ORD in J (777 of course) and was fairly satisfied with the product, and having flown in NGBC in the past I knew what to expect. I agree though that the IFE is terrible given it is a J product. While it is AVOD, the screen resolution could really be improved as could the brightness.

I also find the seats to be starting to fall apart as some panel were starting to come off my seat and the back panel with the scissor emblem came completely off my seat mates seat.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is the longhaul J product on IB, JL and RJ better than on AA? Please enlighten me; AFAIK, the AA seat specifications are superior, in terms of the lie-flat angle and the number of motors to adjust the seat. I've never flown those three, so I'd like to know.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
By the way, I was recently on an AA 777 and our J seats were inop, so they moved us to F. The improvement was marginal at best.
I have a hard time believing that you truly believe the difference between the J and F seat is only "marginal." You get nearly twice the personal space!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
The only plus I can think of for the 767 is that the video resolution is much better than on ther 777. Otherwise, I'd go for the T7. The seat is wider, and the footwell is larger (which makes a huge difference if you're tall). the T7 cabin also feels more spatious.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Other than to complain, what does this have to do with the comparison that the OP is asking for? How does knowing about all these other airlines (and how much better they are) address the comparison on AA)?

By the way, I was recently on an AA 777 and our J seats were inop, so they moved us to F. The improvement was marginal at best. So, find the comment that F is a substantial improvement over J to be questionable, at best. Finally, comparing international carriers to domestic US carriers is apples and oranges.

"Hi, who makes the better burgers, A or B."
"Burgers suck, I only eat chicken because it's better."

Cheers.
Clearly YMMV. You seem to only travel in a pair, and in that regard i think the difference is not as much as you probably took the less desirable middle seats in F to sit together- understandable. As an often single traveler the window FS is outstanding- and IMO as much an upgrade from 777 J as that is from Y.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Clearly YMMV. You seem to only travel in a pair, and in that regard i think the difference is not as much as you probably took the less desirable middle seats in F to sit together- understandable. As an often single traveler the window FS is outstanding- and IMO as much an upgrade from 777 J as that is from Y.
Exactly my thoughts as I read that "marginal" comment. IME, AA 777 F is a very nice product.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
To get back to the original topic....

On the 772 you also get individual air vents above your seat (which you can turn on/off/rotate etc). You don't get this on the 763 and have to make do with whatever temperature the crew set. Usually they'll turn the heating up on night flights to make everyone sleep.

Last edited by aSWUplz; Apr 11, 2009 at 5:36 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 11, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: 2,894,211 AA miles and counting
777 v 767 J

I just did NRT to LAX and LAX-MIA on the 777 and then BRU to ORD on the 767. I preferred the 767. True the seats are slightly smaller. The 767 IFE is like a laptop kind of docked in the seat back in front of you instead of built in. But the IFE seemed to have the same kind of selection of movies and about the same ease of use.

The one advantage of the 767 is that the meals are plated, better, and the portions a bit more generous. No pile of food heated together in the warming the oven in one big dish. Each item came from one aluminum tray and then was plated. An upscale touch...

Of course we had a concierge on the 777 instead of a purser on the 767 (who makes up silliness like this)?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
Also, on the 763 the desserts come round on a trolley - just like 772 F and some long domestic F legs. As far as I can remember 772 J they just come back from the galley and put your dessert choice on your tray!

You also don't get the fruit/cookie offering on 772. It's just the pizza and that's it!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:39 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Just got back from South America and flew in J on the 767. I honestly feel that the meal service (nice large salad, plated meal with larger portions, more relaxed approach to the meal) really stood out to me as a positive difference over the 777. I really feel that AA could improve the overall 777 experience in J by providing the 767 meal service on the 777 and making the improved product consistent with AA. It just seemed less "cattle car" than the 777.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by aSWUplz
On the 772 you also get individual air vents above your seat (which you can turn on/off/rotate etc). You don't get this on the 763 and have to make do with whatever temperature the crew set. Usually they'll turn the heating up on night flights to make everyone sleep.
It would make more sense to turn the temperature down, since colder temperatures signal the body that it's time for sleep (and make the duvet useful).

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Of course we had a concierge on the 777 instead of a purser on the 767 (who makes up silliness like this)?
Really? A concierge? I've not yet run into that on any flight. Is this a new AA thing? Is there one per cabin or one per flight? (I'm used to Cabin Services Directors and In-Flight Service Managers on foreign carriers).
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:24 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
If I were paying for J class , I would use IB rather than AA on a 767. on longhaul BA,LA,RJ,CX,JL and even IB have a better hard product.
There are many CX flights longer than a TATL AA flight where you have awful Last Generation Business Class seats, also JAL especially their 767s are many many years behind AA, even their new 777ER aircraft dont have True Lie Flat seats in Business.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:25 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Comparison of Business class on different routes (two 767, one 777)

Have flown three different longhaul routes in J this year on AA, all with somewhat different amenities/service. Thought I'd share and see if this mirrors other people's experiences and how many other types of seats/service/IFE one might find on AA's fleet.

In the first two flights, the 767 had only two classes of service. In the 3rd, it was a 777 with 3 classes. I suppose it's no surprise that you get less of a 1st class experience when there is a higher class of service on the plane ;-)

Route 1) MIA-SSA (Salvador, Brazil). 767, J class is the only premium class of service. This plane has IFE that needs to be "installed" in the seat back. The crew on this route graciously brought out the IFE while we were on the ground, allowing for us to start watching a movie right away. This timed perfectly with the meal about an hour into flight and a subsequent good night of sleep as the movie ended. The meal was very good, steak IIRC, and the made to order sundae was delicious as it always is (when it's made to order! - see note on flight 3 below). The seat is almost lie flat and despite the frustration I always feel about being *this close* to being flat, I was able to get a nice 7 hours or so of sleep and wake rested for the day. This was my favorite of the J class experiences.

Route 2) JFK-CDG. The configuration was exactly the same as MIA with one major exception. They didn't bring out the IFE units until meal service was underway! This made it impossible to finish a movie and get a full night of rest. I did ask for them to bring it out sooner but was denied. Makes me wonder what official AA policy is but it hopefully is to bring it out before take off or at the least as soon as airborne and at a safe altitude. The meal was similarly good although there were no menus on this flight. I assume that be be a snafu somewhere and not intentional so I won't count that as part of this route's experience, per se. The other annoyance was the collection of the Bose headphones a full hour before landing. Why so early? Between not getting the headsets until meal time and having to be prepared for them to wake me an hour before landing to collect them, it was kind of a PITA.

Route 3) LHR - JFK. One big plus on this route is that the IFE is built in to the seat! Yay! No hoping/waiting/pining to be brought my IFE unit. The seat felt very similar to the 767 seat (is there any difference?). Same complaint about having to give back the headphones what seemed to be a bit early. I'll also add that I don't find the Bose headphones very comfortable - after a while it feels like they are squeezing my head.

There was also a middle seat in this J configuration but nobody on my flight was stuck in one.

Other than that, the differences here (compared to other J service, not compared to the 777 F service) seem to be in food - no cheese bowl - just the warm nuts. And the made to order sundae was replaced by a scoop of ice cream - of one flavor, no choice... if you don't like it don't have dessert. That was a bit of a let down as the made to order sundae washes down a meal so well and in this case I indeed did not have the ice cream since I didn't like the chosen flavor. I asked about the sundae and was told that was in F only. I guess it makes sense as you need to give F pax more - but still a let down when you otherwise seem to have the same seat as on the 767. In my opinion, longhaul J class should be the same whether on a 767 or 777. But again, I understand why they would try to differentiate - no matter how tiny the differentiation - as I guess the only other difference J -> F is the seat and access to the Flagship Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.