Wiki Posts
Search

8A on 757 review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler
8A on 757 review

I just flew and sat in 8A. some people cautioned me about the exit door sticking into my leg space. I figured that it would be just a few inches of encroachment. Noooooo. over half my leg section was devoted to the door. It was mildly unpleasant. The only saving grace was the super extended leg space. oh, the other drawback is the lack of underseat storage and no tray table. so, i'll not be sitting here again. 7E looks like it will be a lot better.
Thanks for the warnings.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Since a lot of people warned you against doing it why did you go ahead and do it? Why ask, in other words?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:52 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Since a lot of people warned you against doing it why did you go ahead and do it? Why ask, in other words?
A LOT of people?

There were four replies to the OPs previous post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640234

One reply informed OP of Seat Guru.
Two replies gave constructive information (yes they both did not like 8A)
One reply was the OP thanking folks for the input.

Personally, I do not think two replies is a lot of people.

Guess a lot of people is a subjective issues .. 2 must be a lot of people to Canadians.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I actually like the 10A/F (8A/F on an ex-TWA 757) seat. In my opinion, the seat gives you the more of a "private feel." The seat also has a good view and it allows me to put my head onto the wall when I go to sleep. Maybe some of the taller members here may have some problems in crossing their legs from the protuding exit door, but at 5'11" it's not so bad.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
And the tray table should be in the arm like other bulkhead seats.

Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I actually like the 10A/F (8A/F on an ex-TWA 757) seat. In my opinion, the seat gives you the more of a "private feel." The seat also has a good view and it allows me to put my head onto the wall when I go to sleep. Maybe some of the taller members here may have some problems in crossing their legs from the protuding exit door, but at 5'11" it's not so bad.
IME, 10A is very different from 8A on the ex-TWA planes. The door is much further away from 10A than it is 8A. In 8A, I can't sit there without my left knee basically crammed into the door's protrusion; in 10A, I hardly notice it at all.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have said "a few inches" re: 8A in the other thread - it's indeed much worse than that.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:04 pm

Since the ex-TWA 757s are being returned shortly (first quarter 2007?) to the leassor, the entire AA/ex-TWA plane discussion really is no longer important ... they are history!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JGR01
Since the ex-TWA 757s are being returned shortly (first quarter 2007?) to the leassor, the entire AA/ex-TWA plane discussion really is no longer important ... they are history!
They initially said the leases expire in 2007 and 2008. Besides, it's still important if you're headed to Vegas for the Super Bowl this year, right?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:25 pm

thanks .. i thought they were going away sooner ...

since most of the ex-TWA 757 are thru DFW .. I only get them part of the time! ORD seems to only have AA 757s (catering carts are different on the ex-TWA birds so hard to stub)
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:46 pm

I rarely get them either. SAN has basically no 757 service anymore (just JFK and BOS). And I rarely see them on trips from DFW now, although I'm usually headed to SJU or MIA, and the TW ones don't (can't?) do those routes. I definitely steer clear for the Vegas trips if I can though...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:28 pm

I'm slightly over 6 foot tall and had seat 8A on a former TWA 757 on 28 Dec DFW-LAS flight and didn't think the legroom was all that bad due to the emergency hatch. LOL, best thing was we (8A & 8B, the upcoming Mrs. JohnnyUSMC) were the first ones to depart the plane when they opened the hatch.

S/F
-John
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes
I just flew and sat in 8A. some people cautioned me about the exit door sticking into my leg space. I figured that it would be just a few inches of encroachment. Noooooo. over half my leg section was devoted to the door. It was mildly unpleasant. The only saving grace was the super extended leg space. oh, the other drawback is the lack of underseat storage and no tray table. so, i'll not be sitting here again. 7E looks like it will be a lot better.
Thanks for the warnings.
Did you look in the arm rest for the table?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by SAN-man
I rarely get them either. SAN has basically no 757 service anymore (just JFK and BOS). And I rarely see them on trips from DFW now, although I'm usually headed to SJU or MIA, and the TW ones don't (can't?) do those routes. I definitely steer clear for the Vegas trips if I can though...

Not surprisingly, you see them through STL a lot. Out of the past 12 757 flights I've taken in the past year transiting to/from STL, all but two of them were ex-TW 757s. Had a nAAtive bird on an ORD segment and one on a DFW segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.