Wiki Posts
Search

AC access - did I get this right?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
AC access - did I get this right?

Hi all. I'm a PLT traveling ORD-MIA (Y) on Tuesday, then MIA-LIR (upgrade confirmed) on Wednesday. On the return trip, LIR-MIA-ORD (Y, upgrade requested) is all the same day.

After reading all of the information on AC access, this is what I think I can do:

No access at ORD
Access at MIA before flight to LIR
No access at MIA on return trip

Did I get that right?

Thanks!!!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I believe that your class of booking/traveling has no bearing on your AC access since you are PLT. You do get in based on your status.

Also, I believe that you have access to the ACs if you are on an international trip for the same day. But, from what I have read on here, most ACs will let you in since you are on an international itn even with a stopover and you are not continuing on the same day....
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Deltahater.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by polkacat
Hi all. I'm a PLT traveling ORD-MIA (Y) on Tuesday, then MIA-LIR (upgrade confirmed) on Wednesday. On the return trip, LIR-MIA-ORD (Y, upgrade requested) is all the same day.

After reading all of the information on AC access, this is what I think I can do:

No access at ORD

Did I get that right?

Thanks!!!
You get access on the return in MIA, as it is part of your same day intl travel...
If your really nice, they may even give you outbound access at ORD, seeing you are connecting in MIA, and your only way to connect to the LIR flight is flying from ORD the night before. Its worth a try.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
As a Plat, traveling to LIR, you will have access to ORD and MIA AC during the outbound part of the trip and LIR(if available) and MIA when returning.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by andrzej
As a Plat, traveling to LIR, you will have access to ORD and MIA AC during the outbound part of the trip and LIR(if available) and MIA when returning.
There are no lounges at LIR. The departure lounge is under thatched roof with no walls. The OP will need to pay the departure tax in USD and bills larger than fifties are not accepted.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
andrzej is correct. The admit policies can be found at http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...Policies.jhtml. Take a look at the "Austin to Dallas/Fort Worth to London Gatwick" example. It is the same scenario as the OP's itinerary. (Actually, the example is for admittance based on class of service, not status, but the OP can gain admission based on PLT status.)

BTW, there does not appear to be a club at LIR.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for helping me out! As always, FT is the place to go for answers.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
There are no lounges at LIR. The departure lounge is under thatched roof with no walls. The OP will need to pay the departure tax in USD and bills larger than fifties are not accepted.
The lounge in LIR is getting a seat under one of the fans in the summer

Also, we usually pay our departure tax at the resort/hotel before going to the airport. I think they charge you an extra dollar or so, but it is one less line to stand in...
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by stl2112
The lounge in LIR is getting a seat under one of the fans in the summer

Also, we usually pay our departure tax at the resort/hotel before going to the airport. I think they charge you an extra dollar or so, but it is one less line to stand in...
LOL! I was orignally going to say the bar charges for drinks just like a domestic AC!

I also pre-pay the departure tax at the hotel. Based on the long lines to pay, I was under the impression not all hotels offer that service. It always happens that a sunburned tourist is frantically looking for someone else to break a $100 bill.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on paying the departure tax at the hotel - I'll have to check and see if that's possible. Avoiding lines is a very good thing!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Same day Access Only

No access at ORD

Did I get that right?

Thanks!!!
andrzej, on what are you basing your assertion that he will have access at ORD on the outbound?

The rule for plat access says: "*AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ and AAdvantage PlatinumŽ members must be departing on a oneworld operated/marketed flight that day."

The rule for premium cabin passengers says: "American Airlines First Class# (including eligible guest) and Business Class passengers traveling on, or connecting to or from, an American Airlines international* flight have access to the Admirals Club lounge on the day** of their international flight....**Connection must be in conjunction with international segment. Stop overs are not permitted"

Since the OP has no international segments until Wednesday, I don't see how he is entitled to any lounge access on Tuesday under either rule.

I would be grateful if you would clear up my confusion for me.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
LOL! I was orignally going to say the bar charges for drinks just like a domestic AC!
Funny, I was pretty hungry last time at LIR awaiting LIR-DFW-ORD... My wife would only let me buy the drinks! The food preparation area looks slightly suspect...
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

The results are in!

Thanks to everyone for their input. AC access was 3 for 3 - although the gentleman at the ORD AC before my departure hemmed and hawed a bit and left me with the impression that it was not quite by the book, at least in his opinion.

As a side note, I found it quite odd that the little shop at LIR would only allow the purchase of one (mini) bottle of alcohol per person! I guess this is due to the restrictions on liquids in carry-ons....
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Thanks to everyone for their input. AC access was 3 for 3 - although the gentleman at the ORD AC before my departure hemmed and hawed a bit and left me with the impression that it was not quite by the book, at least in his opinion.
Did you dazzle him with your brilliance or baffle him with a bit of b.s.?
I guess it doesn't matter, as either way, it worked. Good for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.