Wiki Posts
Search

lost upgrades on "complimentary" upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: double EX-PLT
lost upgrades on "complimentary" upgrade

I checked in with the GA for my SAN-STL-IND flight to see if it was OK for my girlfriend to board with me since she was group 4 and I'm PLT.
The GA said "I'm glad you came up, I need your seats, I'll put you together up front." Girlfriend was impressed, only her second flight in 10 years, I don't get excited since I figure it's cheese pizza for a snack and I don't eat cheese with a cholesterol level of 196. When I tried upgrading my Christmas day flight back I found out that 4 of my 6 upgrade segments had been taken from my account.
I bought 2 to get from ORD-SAN and emailed the AAdvantge folks to complain and see about a $60 refund.
Got the "Sorry Charlie" routine (I'm showing my age here).
Anybody else had this happen?

gripe #2 (I had a slang term for a female dog instead of "gripe" but it got edited...)

Back in October my IND-STL eagle flight had a mechanical and was canceled, but the official status was "delayed". As soon as the GA made the PA 15 people lined up to get changes made. I wiped out the nextel and called the plt desk thinking I was way ahead of the game. Because the status was delayed I couldn't rebook over the phone, had to wait in line like a normal person (yuck!) and missed out on a flight to ORD that was leaving about the same time.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jaytcsd
I checked in with the GA for my SAN-STL-IND flight to see if it was OK for my girlfriend to board with me since she was group 4 and I'm PLT.
The GA said "I'm glad you came up, I need your seats, I'll put you together up front." Girlfriend was impressed, only her second flight in 10 years, I don't get excited since I figure it's cheese pizza for a snack and I don't eat cheese with a cholesterol level of 196. When I tried upgrading my Christmas day flight back I found out that 4 of my 6 upgrade segments had been taken from my account.
I bought 2 to get from ORD-SAN and emailed the AAdvantge folks to complain and see about a $60 refund.
Got the "Sorry Charlie" routine (I'm showing my age here).
Anybody else had this happen?

I am a bit confused. If they took 4 upgrades, then they owe you 4.
Did you ask to be upgraded?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: double EX-PLT
>>Did you ask to be upgraded?

No, we were already in 21A+B. Girlfriend is a nervous flyer and sitting over the wing helps to calm her since she looks out on the wing and not directly at the ground. I know that doesn't make much sense but one thing I've learned about dating blonds is to never confuse them with facts and logic...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I'm not saying that this happened here, but just so others don't get in the same predicament in the future, here is a suggestion:

If you are happy with the seats you have and you did not request an upgrade, but are offered one, before accepting it, please ask the GA whether it's comped or are your stickers being pulled? If the stickers are being pulled, kindly thank the GA for the effort but decline the upgrade, and take your seats in the back. If the GA tells you it's an op-up, then write down the GA's name so you could remember it later (just in case), if something went wrong.

I had one op-up few years ago as a PLAT. It was MIA-TPA (I know - wow!), but I still made sure it was an op-up. I would have been very happy to sit in 21B for this 35 minute flight. I was assured it was an op-up. My stickers or in this case 1 sticker never left the building.

This will save you a great deal of time and frustration later trying to get the stickers back.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:29 am

I think this happens quite a bit:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=sticker
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Back in October my IND-STL eagle flight had a mechanical and was canceled, but the official status was "delayed". As soon as the GA made the PA 15 people lined up to get changes made. I wiped out the nextel and called the plt desk thinking I was way ahead of the game. Because the status was delayed I couldn't rebook over the phone, had to wait in line like a normal person (yuck!) and missed out on a flight to ORD that was leaving about the same time.
This is a good example of how an Admiral's Club membership could be helpful to someone (just like me) who has 'some' status, but no access to the real miracle workers at the EXP Desk. (As noted many times on other posts jaytcsd, there isn't actually a PLAT desk...just a phone number that gives your call priority with the regular CSRs.) Even if you don't live in a city with an AC (or a good one...) you can join the club somewhere else, and typically get excellent service by calling them for help once in a while.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:26 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
The GA said "I'm glad you came up, I need your seats, I'll put you together up front."
... I found out that 4 of my 6 upgrade segments had been taken from my account.
I think GA simply made a mistake. Write or E-mail AAdvantage Customer Service and get your stickers back. The key phrase is when/if the GA says "I need your seats".
I've been in this same situation (flight shows it's still operating but in actual fact it has been canceled). AAgent on phone looks at her screen and tells me the flight is merely delayed; I reply I'm at the airport, looking at a queue of 15 people, and the flight is truly cancelled. AAgent is then happy to help.

If AAgent still won't help, simply hang up, call back and get a different AAnswer.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, US Air- CP, United 1P, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
This is why I always ask the agent to put a note in the PNR saying it was a copy. I received a copy on SAN-ORD for me and my companion on 01/01/07 and I made sure that the note says it was a comp.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
The key phrase is when/if the GA says "I need your seats".
Exactly. They need to give you the stickers back. Unfortunately, you were stuck with buying a few because of them being taken but I doubt you could get a refund. Stickers yes, refund no.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:21 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I know that doesn't make much sense but one thing I've learned about dating blonds is to never confuse them with facts and logic...
Not sure about the meaning behind that, but my wife is a blonde, and she has a Ph.D. in Geophysics

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.