Community
Wiki Posts
Search

exp desk: is it ok to ask for advice on vip usage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp, 4.4mm; hh diamond
exp desk: is it ok to ask for advice on vip usage?

I've got 2 vip's that expire on 2/28/07. Is it appropriate to ask the exp desk to suggest trips between now and then that would let me burn these? The trips I've tried to book have been C=0 on EF. I'm flexible as to dates, and don't really care where I go (as long as I don't need to buy a visa).
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by haruspex
I've got 2 vip's that expire on 2/28/07. Is it appropriate to ask the exp desk to suggest trips between now and then that would let me burn these? The trips I've tried to book have been C=0 on EF. I'm flexible as to dates, and don't really care where I go (as long as I don't need to buy a visa).
I say go for it. Most would be happy to help - the worst thing they can say is no.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Being specific about "FROM-TO" would help but your comments sounded odd to me so I went on EF and had trouble finding days that didn't have C availability ex IAD.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp, 4.4mm; hh diamond
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Being specific about "FROM-TO" would help but your comments sounded odd to me so I went on EF and had trouble finding days that didn't have C availability ex IAD.
Sorry, I was looking at PVG on a Thursday, returning on Saturday. EF showed no C availability.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Some agents will be more willing than others to help with such a broad search. But it would help if you had a few destinations in mind, at least to get things started.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:49 pm

Programs: Skyteam, Starwood, DMV Point Program
I've tried something similar, a few times. My advice is just to call, and if the person on the other end obviously isn't interested in what you're doing, thank them for their time, hang up, and call back. There are a good number of folks on the other end who understand the thrill of finding some place new and interesting, and it's worth trying to find them.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by SuiJuris
My advice is just to call, and if the person on the other end obviously isn't interested in what you're doing, thank them for their time, hang up, and call back.
That's excellent advice. No point spending time with an agent who isn't interested in helping out.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Defintely ask for advice...

AND realize that there is sometimes availability that EF does NOT show (at least if an EXP is on the reservation). Theis happened again to me last week when EF showed zeros, but I was able to get 2 both ways agross the Atlantic.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:34 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Sorry, I was looking at PVG on a Thursday, returning on Saturday. EF showed no C availability.
PVG requires a visa .. which is part of your original requirement that the location NOT require a visa.

As I recall, PVG and DEL require visas for US citizens. I also understand Brazil (GIG and GRU) also require visas but the turnaround time on getting them is a bit easier.

SCL lets you buy one when you arrive ($100).

There may be more .. but this is the 'list' I am aware of in cities AA serves.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
SCL doesn't sell visas on arrival - they charge you a reciprocity fee to make up for the fee you charge Chileans to refuse to grant them a visa (most times). It is valid for the life of the passport. The "visa" such that it is, is a tourist card given out on the plane and it is free. Brasil are same day if you have a consulate where you live, just a tax grab, not any sort of real screening.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Originally Posted by 925
Defintely ask for advice...

AND realize that there is sometimes availability that EF does NOT show (at least if an EXP is on the reservation). Theis happened again to me last week when EF showed zeros, but I was able to get 2 both ways agross the Atlantic.
How often is this the case? Is there another predictor within EF that I could use to gauge C availability (for instance, if it shows F>5)?

I just signed up for EF specifically to find ways to use my eVIPs. I have already encountered C0 on some flights I wanted to take.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:20 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by pistonsdc
How often is this the case?
Anecdotal evidence in the forum seems to indicate that having a higher EQP number than an EQM is an indicator of whether or not it will happen.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
You can get a visa to India within a day as well if you go in person to a consulate. Worst case scenario it may take a week. Again, there is really no major screening for US Citizens (not of Pakistani descent) and it is just a resiprocity fee.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by magic111
Anecdotal evidence in the forum seems to indicate that having a higher EQP number than an EQM is an indicator of whether or not it will happen.
I think not. I do not have a high ratio, and have had this happen. What I was told by the agent is that they have access to 'C' for EXP that will not show up on searches. The implication was that it was for any EXP, and that points ratio was not relevant.

Cheers.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:06 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Might wanna try a less competitive destination (i.e. try a route with a shorter flight time and/or more flights per day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.