Wiki Posts
Search

My screw-up / AA to the rescue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
My screw-up / AA to the rescue

A short time ago I went to Vegas for a bachelor party. I booked the flight JFK-LAS with miles a few months ahead of time through the PLT hotline. On departure day I got to the airport, checked in, and went to the gate. The gate showed a flight JFK-LAX, which I assumed was the previous flight since I was a little early. But not that early. Actually, the flight left at the same time as mine, from the same gate. I looked at my boarding pass and it was to LAX! I thought there was a screw-up, but I looked at my original email itinerary and it was JKF-LAX! I had never checked the itinerary closely, and had even gone through kiosk check-in and never noticed. Man, did I feel like an idiot. The reservationist must have misunderstood Las Vegas as Los Angeles.

But I called the PLT hotline, explained the situation, admitted I was at fault for not checking, but could they please reroute me to LAS. After a few back and forths, she told me if I could get to LGA in 1 hour they could route me through DFW. I ended up getting in a few hours later than I wanted but all in all a good trip, and really generous work by AA. In all my years of travel I had never had anything close to this happening.

I know you can point out that I was an idiot, at fault, etc. and I realize that. My main point is how accommodating AA was, one of the many reasons I prefer AA to CO, even after moving here to Houston.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by HedgeFundFlyer
I know you can point out that I was an idiot, at fault, etc. and I realize that. My main point is how accommodating AA was, one of the many reasons I prefer AA to CO, even after moving here to Houston.
AA has rescued me from myself a few times over the years, which I have greatly appreciated. Glad it worked out for you this time.
(I take it you made it home OK? )
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH

Cheers.
We all make mistakes / overlook things. It's great to know that AA was about to take care of you.
BTW, how was Vegas?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badjuju
BTW, how was Vegas?
I'll just say the craps table was kind to me.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...My main point is how accommodating AA was, one of the many reasons I prefer AA to CO, even after moving here to Houston.

Cheers.
As a Plat on CO since 2001, there have been occasions where CO has helped me out of similar jams, and in some cases I have called the Plat line asking them to help a non-elite, and they have helped. A bit of an unfair shot at CO, IMO.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
As a Plat on CO since 2001, there have been occasions where CO has helped me out of similar jams, and in some cases I have called the Plat line asking them to help a non-elite, and they have helped. A bit of an unfair shot at CO, IMO.
I think CO is just fine, but after a recent relocation to Houston, a gold status match from CO, frequent flights for business on CO, and some family trips on CO just for the convenience of non-stops with the little one, I just don't think CO offers the same all around friendly help as AA. I think CO is better than most of the others out there, but if it makes sense at all I'm willing to fly up to DFW just to stick with AA metal.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I think CO is just fine, but after a recent relocation to Houston, a gold status match from CO, frequent flights for business on CO, and some family trips on CO just for the convenience of non-stops with the little one, I just don't think CO offers the same all around friendly help as AA. I think CO is better than most of the others out there, but if it makes sense at all I'm willing to fly up to DFW just to stick with AA metal.
Well, I was Plat on AA before CO, and I won't complain at all about AA's service. What I don't miss is those connects at DFW. When I started flying CO DEN-IAH, I remember flying over DFW and thinking "wow, I don't have to LAND there anymore".
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:04 am

I just don't think CO offers the same all around friendly help as AA.
Where's the eyes-bulging-out smiley when you need it? Has AA turned the negative vibe tide? ^
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Good for AA... but I'm wondering if flying JFK-LAX-LAS would have been better.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
AA rescued me, too. I just booked flights on aa.com for my family of 4 to Nevis for the wrong dates-I called the next day and, being used to United, expected to reach an Indian call center. I was steeling myself for difficult communication and huge change fees, but I was pleasantly surprised! I spoke to a very nice woman who waived the $100 per ticket change fee and charged me the fare difference, which was minimal, $150 for the 4 of us. I received the e-ticket within minutes with the correct dates. I'm not sure if this was an anomaly, or the norm, but I'll be looking at AA more often...
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat,Marriott Silver,Starwood Gold
AA saved me as well. I had booked a flight for my mother on miles, and forgot to change the name on the ticket. So, I had my name on the ticket instead of my mothers. I called AA and they changed the passenger name without any issues.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think we all have stories where AA has saved us. I can see it now...Gerard Arpey in front of a live audience. Poor, pathetic people with flight issues walk up, and Arpey saves them. Even as we watch, upgrades clear, itineraries are changed for NO FEE (yes, you heard me say that...I've seen it happen). Praise the CEO!!

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
A short time ago I went to Vegas for a bachelor party. I booked the flight JFK-LAS with miles a few months ahead of time through the PLT hotline.
How can you not post to a thread that starts with "bachelor party" and "LAS"?

With the right circumstances and attitude, and asking nicely, you can usually get something that's not unreasonable. Since you were starting on the other side of the country, there should have been plenty of choices to help you out. I'm sure there's other instances where even this forum would have laughed, and said "yea, right, you wanted what?".

But good to hear that it all turnd out well, and that the airline was actually reasonable in their re-accomodation.

Steve B.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It today's airline environment of cut costs, cut costs, it is nice to know that AA will be there for you when you really need them. Some of that I think depends upon the TA or GA (this poster got lucky) and their desire to bend the rules to help out a loyal customer. And while AA could have made some money off the poster's mistake, the agent understood the long term implications for retaining a loyal PLT member, probably now for life.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
AA saved me a few weeks ago - I was taking my regular flight back to BOS from LAX. My flight was at 11:10. When I woke up at 11:05pm in the Admirals Club, I knew I was in trouble. I got down to the gate as the AA guy was coming back from closing the door. He immediately knew who I was by name and booked me on the next flight through DFW.

Thanks AA - I screwed up and they didn't even try to charge me for the re-route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.