Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hard rock concert on laptop, no headphones

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
Rules aside, some of these dolts just amaze me. Do they not know that what they are doing is rude? Or just not care? It's just remarkable.
My guess is that most don't care; a few poor souls (like the tobacco chewer of another thread) aren't well raised enough to know they're being rude.

Its the "I deserve better than you" Masters of the Universe types I find most appalling. They know darn well they're being rude, but don't care - because they "deserve better".
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by joe_s
My guess is that most don't care; a few poor souls (like the tobacco chewer of another thread) aren't well raised enough to know they're being rude.

Its the "I deserve better than you" Masters of the Universe types I find most appalling. They know darn well they're being rude, but don't care - because they "deserve better".
I disagree...I think a lot of these dolts don't really think about it...and it just doesn't occur to them that they're being asses.

As opposed to others who do feel they deserve better then the rest...people like me

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:25 pm

Completely rude I agree... but still, I want to know what kind of laptop he had that several people could hear over the engine noise!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Individual sound/smell proof cocoons are the only way to go at this rate. Put each pax in a sealed tube, feed through a small hatch and vent "gasses" ouside

I wonder if this is a growing problem or just people are more sensitive to it nowadays - or maybe we just have more ways to complain about it.

I am not sure what I would have done. Normally I plug myself in to my laptop and watch TV so other people wouldnt affect me if they were listening to their machines. Mind you if I could hear them over mine I would go straight to the FA rather than the PAX - I just cant be bothered debating manners/acceptable behavious with other pax....
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
There are advantages to being of a certain age. I am entirely willing to give someone my best teacher marm look if I feel they are being rude.

I would have gotten an FA on this situation pronto, even if to do so I had to write a note.

I don't want to be imposed upon by someone else's taste in music, movies or just plain noise.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
Originally Posted by brp
I disagree...I think a lot of these dolts don't really think about it...and it just doesn't occur to them that they're being asses.

As opposed to others who do feel they deserve better then the rest...people like me

Cheers.
I agree it's more the clueless than entitled, though I've seen enough of both. In this case the perps were oilfield service workers (company name very clear on the shirts), were the only people I noticed in the cabin order drinks (on a short flight, and 2 per person a that), and were pretty clueless that dude, not everyone thought the show was excellent.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
when i first got my laptop probably about 10 years ago now, I was watching a movie in coach and had all of my seatmates watching as well and they all wanted me to not plug in the earplugs so they could hear.. I did have a set of earplugs, but I did what they asked, and also i got in trouble, or asked to stop that.

I immediately plugged in the earphones and everything was find. I wasn't trying to bother people, but it was so loud in coach from the plane I figured people couldn't hear it, but I clearly was wrong.

I haven't made the same mistake again, the only problem I have now is watching movies that I don't know what they are going to show and i don't want to give a show(ie pg13 or more movie) to anyone behind me. I either don't watch it or I try to move the laptop so that the screen can't be easily seen.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:40 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm glad the OP said something. This affects more than just that one flight. The next time that same inconsiderate pax wants to break the rules (both the airline's rules and the rules of common courtesy), he/she is likely to think twice about doing so. OP made the world a better place, not just for that one flight but for umpteen future flights as well.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Dec 13, 2006 at 12:06 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I flew LAX-DFW a few months back, evening departure, fairly quiet on the plane, lot of people napping..until the parents of 2 kids in the middle section of Y on a 767 set up their kids with a loud cartoon DVD, no headphones, very annoying soundtrack. I was incredulous that they would blast that noise without headphone, but they seemed clueless that they were bothering a lot of people.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I wish more people would speak up, so I don't have to.

Last onboard incident, I had no problem telling granny to stop taking pictures with her flash/SLR camera of her grandkids.... from 15 rows back!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
FUnny, I had this same exact thing happen yesterday for the first time that I recall. It was a 40'ish lady in coach two rows up and across the aisle. Flight in progress for about 45 min, I'm nodding in and out of sleep and wake up to hear loud music coming from somewhere. I suspected she didn't realize she was 'broadcasting' and it would stop shortly. It didn't and it was quite loud. Several nearby passengers staring and shaking heads but not saying anything, I snagged an attendant walking my way and asked if she could ask her to tune it down. She did and the music stopped.

I've never heard anyone do this before and I kept thinking ....do you not realize that everyone within 30 ft of you wants to listent to that music that loud.

What are people thinking?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by lalala
We spent January 2, 200something coming back from Oakland the day after some GD reunion show thingie (No, Jerry was not there) and the whole first class section other than us had been there.
2002. The show was "The Other Ones", "Phil and Friends" and "Crusader Rabbit" in Oakland. String Cheese Incident was playing across the bay in San Francisco. Great New Years Eve show. And yes, Jerry was there in spirit. All in all a great weekend of music in the bay area. I would have guessed that I was on your flight in 1st except I flew into and out of SFO.

I thought we were a rather restrainted but friendly lot. I guess your milage may vary.

Anyway, back the point. Last week I was in the AC in the computer cubicle section in LGA minding my own business doing some work when a middle aged gentleman sat down across from me. He pulled out his laptop, fired it up and started watching a movie at a rather loud volume. I politely asked if he would mind using headphones and even offered to loan him my headphones. He became indignant and started talking with his Texas accent about how this was a public place and how people were distrubing him talking on their headphones and how I was being rude asking him to use headphones. I let the whole thing go. I still think people should be considerate of others and use headphones when listening to music or movies in public spaces. That's my 2 cents.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HedgeFundFlyer
This is one of the stranger encounters I've had on a flight. On a recent short flight the guy across the aisle and 1 row forward got out his laptop, fired it up, put on a DVD which was a (very cheesy) hard rock concert, and started blaring the music.
I would have just powered up my own Toshiba Qosmio with its harman/kardon stereo speakers and play a nonstop loop of Justin Timberlake's "Sexyback" video at full volume. Maybe that would give that guy a hint that there are other passengers affected.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Actually, on the AA website, under "Electronic Equipment and Personal Devices" it clearly states:

You may use audio and video devices only with a headset.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...horEvent=false
Well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but it is against the law for passengers to disobey crew member directions. The lead FA should have confronted the man and told him that if he didn't comply this would be his last flight on AA for a while, and that if he continued his belligerent attitude he'd be met by some LEOs on arrival.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
I flew LAX-DFW a few months back, evening departure, fairly quiet on the plane, lot of people napping..until the parents of 2 kids in the middle section of Y on a 767 set up their kids with a loud cartoon DVD, no headphones, very annoying soundtrack. I was incredulous that they would blast that noise without headphone, but they seemed clueless that they were bothering a lot of people.

So what happened? What did you or anyone else do about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.