Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAXIMUM baggage check-in time?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
MAXIMUM baggage check-in time?

What is the maximum amount of time before a flight that you can check bags?

Reason I ask is that my mother-in-law is flying in to SFO on NW tomorrow, and flying out on AA on a separate ticket. She's got about a 7-hour layover, and we're trying to figure out if she can check her bags with AA as soon as she gets to SFO. The EXP desk said the max is 4 hours before the flight, but I can't find anything to confirm that on AA.com.

If it is 4 hours, does anyone know from experience whether there's any leniency?

(I'm also checking on the NW board to see if they could check her bags through to her final destination, even though the final destination is on a separate ticket.)
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by Flyer23
What is the maximum amount of time before a flight that you can check bags?

Reason I ask is that my mother-in-law is flying in to SFO on NW tomorrow, and flying out on AA on a separate ticket. She's got about a 7-hour layover, and we're trying to figure out if she can check her bags with AA as soon as she gets to SFO. The EXP desk said the max is 4 hours before the flight, but I can't find anything to confirm that on AA.com.

If it is 4 hours, does anyone know from experience whether there's any leniency?

(I'm also checking on the NW board to see if they could check her bags through to her final destination, even though the final destination is on a separate ticket.)
Can they not check it all the way through even though it's on a different ticket? She could also always just pretend to want to go standby (or actually want to go standby) on an earlier flight. They'll just put her bag on that flight and give her a priority verification slip.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
NW/AA have an interline agreement, so no problem checking bags through even on a separate ticket as long as you have the NW ticket number with you (not just the PNR number). It is easier if the airlines are in the same alliance, but still possible with competing alliances.

The max checkin time is set by the airport as well as the airline, thus it varies by airport. For many airports it is indeed 4 hours (they don't have storage space for baggage!). Often the computer enforces the time limit (the agents cannot print out the baggage tag earlier, without an override).
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you get stuck, there is baggage storage in the non-secure area of the international terminal.

The Airport Travel Agency is a full service travel agency located in the International Terminal Main Hall, Departures/Ticketing Level, near the security checkpoint for Boarding Area G. Services include travel reservations, travel insurance, luggage storage, overnight express delivery, Notary Public, Western Union, faxes and photocopies.

Open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Telephone: (650) 877-0422

http://www.flysfo.com
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I just spoke with my mother-in-law. Turns out her first flight was actually with CO, and they were able to check her bags through to SYD. I'm not sure what information she had to give them, but I did make sure she had both her PNR and her ticket number along with her.

Thanks all for your help... you have no idea how much easier this makes my day

BTW, I just have to share my mother-in-law's full itinerary. She was originally scheduled to go AUS-IAH-MSP-SFO-LAX-SYD, with AUS-IAH on CO, IAH-MSP-SFO on NW, SFO-LAX on AA, and LAX-SYD on QF. Given that UA flies nonstop AUS-SFO and QF flies nonstop SFO-SYD, I think that itinerary makes her an honorary FT'er

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.