Wiki Posts
Search

'Direct flight' questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
'Direct flight' questions

Please excuse the question, but I'm fairly new to AA.

I'm looking at booking a MCI-JAX 'direct' flight (flt. 2006; 1-stop) on Jan 1st. A couple questions:
- Does this mean the aircraft will be the same on MCI-DFW and DFW-JAX?
- If it is the same aircraft, what are AA policies on staying on the aircraft, etc. for the 40 minute ground time?
- If purchased as a direct flight and trying to upgrade, to both segments have to clear in order for the upgrade to go through? (And also, am I only charged the 500'ers for MCI-JAX instead of MCI-DFW-JAX?)

Thank you!!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by UAalltheway
Please excuse the question, but I'm fairly new to AA.

I'm looking at booking a MCI-JAX 'direct' flight (flt. 2006; 1-stop) on Jan 1st. A couple questions:
- Does this mean the aircraft will be the same on MCI-DFW and DFW-JAX?

Typically yes.

- If it is the same aircraft, what are AA policies on staying on the aircraft, etc. for the 40 minute ground time?

You will be able to stay on board.

- If purchased as a direct flight and trying to upgrade, to both segments have to clear in order for the upgrade to go through? (And also, am I only charged the 500'ers for MCI-JAX instead of MCI-DFW-JAX?)

Both flights are treated as one for the purpose of upgrades.

Thank you!!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
The bad news is that you will only get MCI-JAX mileage.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Thanks for the replies!
The wierd thing is when going to purchase the flights, the return is listed as two seperate flights (MCI-DFW, DFW-JAX, but both have the same flight number), but when you scroll down to the upgrade options, it's listed as a single "Dep. MCI, Arr. JAX" upgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I do not know about this route, BUT a single flight number for two consecutive flights does NOT inherently mean it will be the same airplane (or even in the same terminal!). Checking the seat map can be ONE indicator of what will happen.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
But the answer given by millionmiler above (Typically yes) is still true. Not necessarily so, but usually the case.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; DL Gold; UA 2P
Direct Flights Mileage and Upgrades

I've twice been able to book a direct flight and have it show up as two separate legs in the upgrade summary, which has the negative of requiring potentially more stickers (unless you're an EXP), but the positive of receiving mileage individually and having the upgrades clear separately (or in my case, only upgrading one of the segments). I've been able to do this by using the multi-city booking option, and by entering each leg of the direct flight separtely. I remember reading this tip somewhere here on FT. Also, in both cases the itinerary did not price differently (e.g. the fare was not split).

N.B.: In both cases I've had problems selecting seats online for the two segments separately and had to speak with a CSR over the phone.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: NWA PE, AA EXP, SPG GE
Does anyone know if there is there any way of having AA split the record after it has been ticketed?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by 925
I do not know about this route, BUT a single flight number for two consecutive flights does NOT inherently mean it will be the same airplane (or even in the same terminal!). Checking the seat map can be ONE indicator of what will happen.
A good example used to be AA61 which used to start as AUS-DFW and be flown by an MD80 then transform itself into a 777 for DFW-NRT. Depending on where the MD80 was going next, you usually had to change terminals in DFW.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:32 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mplsmdflyer
Does anyone know if there is there any way of having AA split the record after it has been ticketed?
Yes - call the AAgents and ask them to do so. They can and will.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:08 am

I have called twice and was told "not possible to split direct flights" both times. Specifically, I am on flt 454 MSP-RDU (with a stop in ORD). Any suggestions how I can ask properly on my third call?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
I have called twice and was told "not possible to split direct flights" both times. Specifically, I am on flt 454 MSP-RDU (with a stop in ORD). Any suggestions how I can ask properly on my third call?
Even if you can get a supervisor to split the flight, the Rate/Tariff Desk may not actually reissue the ticket to make the split official.

I had this exact problem with AA450 (ELP-DFW-STL) last week. A reservation supervisor agreed to split the direct flight into two legs, but the Rate/Tariff desk denied the reissue of the ticket.

I had no problem asking AAdvantage Customer Service for credit for 2 segments and ELP-DFW-STL mileage (instead of the 1 segment credit and ELP-STL mileage that posted).
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:54 am

You called after the flight, I assume? Did Advantage Customer Service balk at splitting the flight at all (i.e. We'll do this just this as a "one time" request) or was it a simple request that was easily accomodated?

I am asking because others on FT have had good luck getting original routing credit for reroutes while I have only had that happen once and have been told numerous times no.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: Herts Gold, Avis Select, Hilton VIP, AAdv Gold
:-: not a problem record can be divided at anytime before or after tktd and even during trip.
QUOTE=mplsmdflyer;7039093]Does anyone know if there is there any way of having AA split the record after it has been ticketed?[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:34 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
"For an upcoming trip, I'd like the option of going standby or getting bumped. I understand this is much more difficult if both segments have the same flight number. Can you verify that both segments on my upcoming flight carry the same flight number? Do you know of a way to either change the flight number, or make 'em into two separate segments instead of one long segment? I appreciate your help and expertise, so very much. AA's agents are simply the best, and I try to fly AA whenever possible for this very reason because y'all have so much knowledge which is appreciated so very much."

Okay, maybe the last few sentences are a bit of an overdo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.