Search

Rule 240 for paid FC? - no help at the AC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KVS
What exactly are you trying to "hold them to"?

Notice that nowhere at http://www.AA.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml does it state that AA is obligated to reroute you on another carrier ("OA"), under "Rule 240".

I'm thinking of the part (not mentioned in the CoC) that says that for any schedule change (without specification of time, so even 1 minute would count) you can get a refund (to voucher if less than 90 minutes) without assessment of fees.

Cheers.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:07 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I'm thinking of the part (not mentioned in the CoC) that says that for any schedule change (without specification of time, so even 1 minute would count) you can get a refund (to voucher if less than 90 minutes) without assessment of fees.
You can probably still do that under Section 10 of the Domestic CoC:
"Involuntary Refunds
In the event the refund is required because of American's failure to operate on schedule or refusal to transport, the following refund will be made directly to you -

1. If the ticket is totally unused, the full amount paid (with no service charge or refund penalty), or
2. If the ticket is partially used, the applicable fare for the unused segment(s)."
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no such thing as rule 240. With the AGLOBnn ticket , your compensation for travelling in economy on NW will be approximately zero given the value of the sector.

Dave

incorrect. There is a rule 240, there is also a rule 80.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Deltahater
incorrect. There is a rule 240, there is also a rule 80.
if you look at KVS's comments at post 72 , you will see that there isn't for AA

Dave
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
if you look at KVS's comments at post 72 , you will see that there isn't for AA

Dave

While I love his tool, I disagree with him on this one, as it pertains to AA

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml
Rule 240
Domestic tariff rule which states AA's obligations to our customers when their flights are changed or cancelled as a result of schedule changes/ irregularities.
-Rule 240 applies to travel wholly within the 50 U.S., travel between the U.S. and Canada and travel between the U.S. and Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands.

Rule 80
International tariff rule which states AA's obligations to our customers when their flights are changed or cancelled as a result of schedule changes or schedule irregularities.
-Rule 80 applies to all international travel except travel between the U.S. and Canada and/or between the U.S. and Puerto Rico/ U.S. Virgin Islands.
-Rules 240/80 protect all ticketed passengers/including AAdvantage, AA codeshare and agency free/reduced rate.
-AAirpass® tickets should be handled in the same manner as revenue tickets and are considered ticketed at all times.

I think I agree with BRP that since it is posted as such on AA.com the rule/protection exists. Whether it is technically rule 240 or CoC 10, does not matter much during a non-legal dispute.

I for one, have been traveling with a printed copy of the aa.com rule 240/80 pages so I can show that to the agents when needed. Of course, I would never demand/insist/invoke my right to fly on another airline due to rule 240/80/CoC 10

Last edited by Deltahater; Nov 30, 2006 at 3:47 pm
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I asked the gate agent at the airport about rule 240 a few hours ago. This one agent said it no longer existed under that name, but some section 1.20 or 1.22 [he was guessing] and that it covered AA metal flights only [regardless of where purchased, fare basis, etc.].

He stated the new rules stated basically what the old rules stated:

a) if we cannot get you to your destination because it 'is our fault' (mechanical) we will do whatever it takes to get you to your destination including putting you on a different airline.

b) if we cannot get you to your destination, but it is not our fault (weather) we will do whatever it takes to get you to your destination, but we will not 'send the revenue to another airline.' He did say they would make exceptions to platinums, etc. 'we want to keep you happy.'

Again, this is a survey of one and I am posting because it agrees with what I and others have been saying [previous rule 240, written documentation found so far, others experiences, experiences from my specific case, etc].
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:06 pm

While I love his tool, I disagree with him on this one, as it pertains to AA

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml
That is a travel agent's reference page to detail to agents what to do in such situations rather than a general consumer page of AA. As pertains to an end customer, the Conditions of Carriage apply ( in which reference to handling of such situations is referenced ) .

Dave
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I love his tool
Thanks!

I for one, have been traveling with a printed copy of the aa.com rule 240/80 pages
I would also love to see AA's current [non-existent] Rule 240 (Domestic) .
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:27 pm

I think I agree with BRP that since it is posted as such on AA.com the rule/protection exists. Whether it is technically rule 240 or CoC 10, does not matter much during a non-legal dispute.

I for one, have been traveling with a printed copy of the aa.com rule 240/80 pages so I can show that to the agents when needed. Of course, I would never demand/insist/invoke my right to fly on another airline due to rule 240/80/CoC 10
well, there's plenty of outdated and invalid stuff floating around on aa.com. perhaps they just never delete anything. for instance, not long ago someone posted a link to aa.com showing the "first class" on 763's...

I'm curious, though, when did airlines cease having to file formal tariffs for domestic?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:38 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by martin33
I'm curious, though, when did airlines cease having to file formal tariffs for domestic?
In 1978: http://www.fly.FAA.gov/FAQ/faq.html
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Summary To Date

A summary, for those who don't want to read and decode the whole thread.

1. AA no longer has a Rule 240 in their CoC, which is the "official" document.

2. However, AA still has a page (last updated October 31, 2006, so very current) which tells Travel Agents how to handle "Rule 240" situations.

3. In other words, it is still correct to refer to Rule 240, even though there isn't any rule by that number.

4. Rule 240, by any name, does not require AA to place you on another carrier.

5. Customer experience (and good customer relations) says that many of us, when requesting favors, have received favorable treatment, notwithstanding the rules.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Exc Plt (3m+), AS
First, I don't see anywhere in the Rule 240 (or the Rule 80, which probably(?) applies to this international ticket)

It's Rule 240 for Domestic Ticket and Rule 260 for International. A full refund of the original value of the ticket is allowed with no penalty. You then have the option to purchase a ticket on any other airline. The reason that they have the reticketing option with other airlines is because at the last minute a ticket on another carrier is usually a lot more than what was paid.

In this situation with the price of your ticket take the refund and then go where you want.

The rule states that protection will be done on the next available AA flight in the same class of service. If your original class of service is no longer availabe then you can be put in a higher class. Another airline is an option if it's a delayed that's the airlines fault (not weather) and that the other airline arrives earlier then the next scheduled AA flight.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by blondieblue
First, I don't see anywhere in the Rule 240 (or the Rule 80, which probably(?) applies to this international ticket)

It's Rule 240 for Domestic Ticket and Rule 260 for International. A full refund of the original value of the ticket is allowed with no penalty. You then have the option to purchase a ticket on any other airline. The reason that they have the reticketing option with other airlines is because at the last minute a ticket on another carrier is usually a lot more than what was paid.

In this situation with the price of your ticket take the refund and then go where you want.

The rule states that protection will be done on the next available AA flight in the same class of service. If your original class of service is no longer availabe then you can be put in a higher class. Another airline is an option if it's a delayed that's the airlines fault (not weather) and that the other airline arrives earlier then the next scheduled AA flight.
Can you provide a source for your 260 rule quote?
I agree with most of what you say, except for the "another airline is an option..." part. Unless your position is that it is an option at AA's discretion. I too have been placed on other carriers when I was not entitled to it, but AA decided it was a good business decision to do so. But, it was nothing I could have "invoked", "demanded", or "otherwise insisted upon".

Last edited by Deltahater; Dec 1, 2006 at 10:41 am
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Can you provide a source for your 260 rule quote?
I agree with most of what you say, except for the "another airline is an option..." part. Unless you position is that it is an option at AA's discretion. I too have been placed on other carriers when I was not entitled to it, but AA decided it was a good business decision to do so. But, it was nothing I could have "invoked", "demanded", or "otherwise insisted upon".
I have no idea what this "260" is, but I think the "another airline is an option" stems from the fact that the ruls stipulates a full refund (although it may be in the form of a voucher); then one is able to buy a ticket on any airline given that the AA ticket has been refunded. Then, truly "another airline is an option".

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by brp
I have no idea what this "260" is, but I think the "another airline is an option" stems from the fact that the ruls stipulates a full refund (although it may be in the form of a voucher); then one is able to buy a ticket on any airline given that the AA ticket has been refunded. Then, truly "another airline is an option".

Cheers.
But for the refund the cost of the sectors already flown would be deducted from the cost of the ticket purchased. If part way through an ATW trip, the cost of the journey already taken could easily exceed the value of the ticket

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.