Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in Time Question @ JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Check-in Time Question @ JFK

I posted this on the AA forum since I'm flying AA tomorrow morning. Hopefully that's ok. (I apologize for not searching, but search isn't working for me on this computer w/IE7)

I am taking AA 1407 tomorrow morning (JFK-SJU). I'm AA nothing The flight is scheduled to leave @ 8:05am with a ~7:30am boarding time.

I'm staying @ the Doubletree at the airport, so I imagine the shuttle will only take 15 minutes at most to get me to the terminal. The shuttle leaves at the top and bottom of every hour.

So my question: Should I take the 5:30am, 6:00am, or 6:30 am shuttle? Will arriving at 6:45am give me enough time to check bags, get through (non-elite) security, and make the flight? Also - can I use my United Premier card for the elite security line?

Sorry for the question - I'm sure it has been answered before but can't search. Thanks to the JFK/AA experts for an answer!

Chris
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by chrislacey
I'm staying @ the Doubletree at the airport, so I imagine the shuttle will only take 15 minutes at most to get me to the terminal.
The shuttle takes you to the train and not to the terminal.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (Lifetime Plat)
I would take the 6:00am. Non-elite bag check can take up to 45 minutes. No, they will not let you use your United elite card to go through the elite security line. I have never seen very long non-elite security lines at JFK.

I am assuming you are going out of the new terminal (9).
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkirk2
I am assuming you are going out of the new terminal (9).
According to AA.com the flight is leaving out of terminal 9 - gate 38. It sounds like I'll be on the 6am shuttle.

How long does it take once I get to the train station to get to the terminal?
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by chrislacey
How long does it take once I get to the train station to get to the terminal?
It's amazing what one can find on the Internet:
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jitcfram.htm
http://www.airtrainjfk.com/airtrain/around_jfk.html
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would think 6AM would be ok, but a few notes...when I stayed at the Doubletree, I had no issues, but, upon return, when the bus pulled up to the Doubletree door, there was a quite distraught pilot there who said he had been waiting 45 minutes for a bus, and none had shown up.

Also, on Monday, I took the JFK AirTrain, and the "All Terminal Loop" was not working...this added 10 minutes to the trip. When you get to terminal 1, if the "All Terminal Loop" is running (it usually is working just fine), you should swith to it to go to terminal 8/9. It was working upon my return on Thursday. The whole trip from hotel door to check-in is closer to 1/2 hour. The walk from Airtrain to terminal 9 takes 4-5 minutes, the shuttle/train about 15-20.

Check online for operation status:

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain

There will be a scrolling status bar next to Airtrain Updates.

Upon return to JFK, take Airtrain back to Station C (Federal Circle). You wait for Doubletree shuttle bus there. Call Doubletree and tell them when you get to Federal Circle.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the detailed information. I'm going to take the 6am bus with the hopes of reaching the terminal by 6:30. 7:15 should be the latest I clear security which should be (hopefully) in plenty of time for my 7:35am boarding time.

It will be calling it close - but hopefully we'll be fine.

Does everyone think this will work?

Thanks!!!
-Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.