Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) - 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update it.

Situation: You are flying AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to a non-AA partner airline; you would like to get the EQ/RDM for the flight.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AA; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit". (See more below.)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) - 2013

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The problem with a question like this is it completely depends upon the person you call. You will get answers from people who have gotten ORC, and those who have not. In the end, it will not be much help, and you're still going to have to call. There's no way for us to know the disposition of the person you'll get.

An opinion- I think asking for the 1.5x and the DFW bonus is a bit much. I'd settle for ORC as EQM, maybe the 1.5X on EQP if you're a points qualifier. Remember, they don't have to give you any of it. But these are just my opinions and mean nothing since the person you call will have their own interpretation of what's "right".

Cheers.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier
Hello All,
Yesterday my flight from PHX-DFW was cancelled due to mechanical failure (oil leaks from the left engine). I called AA customer aagents and they were helpful as usual. They could not accomodate me into first (I was flying the DTW-PHX-DTW mistake fare), however they could get me into a NW direct into DTW. My question is do I get the original routing credit plus the DFW bonus. I did send them a mail asking for the routing credit, not sure if they would give me the 1.5 EQM (since I was in first), the plat bonus plus the DFW bonus. Anyone had such things happened to them.

Thanks for helping,

Regards,

GRR_Flier
I have had them give me original routing credit before, and when they did, it just posted like any other flight, so all of the bonuses and EQ stuff posted. (I'm pretty sure this would be automatic if they actually posted the flights rather than doing a "customer service bonus".) I think it's probably a crap shoot on getting the original routing credit though. I believe both of mine have come with the "we usually don't give credit for flights not flown" disclaimer. I know at least one of mine was a canceled flight. I don't remember what the other was. I just got denied for 2 requests due to VDB. YMMV.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you took an involuntary reroute, you could request the original routing credit for the fare you purchased. You may have to ask again...

If you go to the "Unofficial Guide" sticky, you will find a link to a thread titled "Involuntary reroutes and original routing credit" with more information.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Without question you should get the original routing miles, bonus miles, EQMs and EQPs. The DFW bonus is a "maybe".

I recently missed my connection in NRT onto an AA codeshare to SIN because 167 was late leaving JFK. They put me on an MH set of flights the next day. I emailed AAdv cust service using the link on AA.com and refrenced my "record locator" and the two flights (167 and the codeshare) and the date. Within hours of my email they responded "no problem" and the next day my account showed the EQMs, EQPs, COS and EXP bonuses as if I had took the codeshare flight.

IMO, this should not even be an issue if you state the date, flights, and record locator (PNR).
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott PLT, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by inlanikai
IMO, this should not even be an issue if you state the date, flights, and record locator (PNR).
I've had occasion to request original routing credit. Always via aa.com contact form, but I've always included (after being asked the first time) the ticket number (001...if on AA ticket stock, etc) as well.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
Thank You !

Thank You,

I bow my head in appreciation.

Regards,
GRR_Flier
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Without question you should get the original routing miles, bonus miles, EQMs and EQPs. The DFW bonus is a "maybe"....
I'm 99% sure that if you get bonus miles, EQMs and EQPs you'd get the DFW bonus as well, just based on the way flight postings work. When they post a flight, they enter information like flight number, flight date, O&D, and class of service/fare and then everything else is calculated from that. So if the flight meets the qualification(s) for the DFW bonus, it would be automatic. The system really doesn't know WHY the flight is being posted and the code is the same whether it's through the automatic feed from SABRE or manually posted.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I have great success if I:

1)Ask the person re-routing me to make a note in my PNR requesting original routing credit.

2)Call the EXP desk about 1 day after the original flight(s) have completed with my PNR and ask for original routing credit.

3)Refer the EXP AAgent/Customer Service AAgent to the notes in my PNR if they balk.

Original routing credit for purchased class of service appears in 24-48 hours. Bonuses appear 24-72 hours, unless they are supposed to take longer to post.

The only times I've had to call back were for online booking bonuses and getting proper credit for a 6 segment day.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:33 am

Got It !

Today AA posted all the miles, Plat bonus, plus the DFW dbl bonus plus the first class bonus .. total miles posted for the DTW-DFW-PHX-DFW-DTW run is 13986 miles.

Regards,

GRR_Flier
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Congrats on getting all of it. It's more than I expected

A serious question- and I'm not trying to be combatitive ():

Since you had to call anyway to get this done, and say the same things that you would have said in any case- did the answers here really make nay difference in what you had to do to get the outcome you got? Did others' experiences with getting ORC matter? Just curious.

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by brp
Congrats on getting all of it. It's more than I expected

A serious question- and I'm not trying to be combatitive ():

Since you had to call anyway to get this done, and say the same things that you would have said in any case- did the answers here really make nay difference in what you had to do to get the outcome you got? Did others' experiences with getting ORC matter? Just curious.

Cheers.
Good question .. I was trying to get a feel what should I do if AA denied the original routing credit. Like if guys here did get their full credit (as someone posted) I would be sure to fight it out to get the same result. To me FT is a resource I always tap in and till date it has always delivered. Thanks to knowledgeable guys like you ..

Regards,

GRR_Flier
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Do we not get "original routing credit" if reroute due to weather?

I was booked TPA-ORD-AUS on 11/29, but my TPA-ORD was delayed, so I went TPA-DFW-AUS. When the miles showed up today, I called to request "original routing credit" and they said they can't give that to me if it's due to weather.

Huh!?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Cardinal rule of dealing with AA.

"Oh, okay, thank you."

Hang up, call back.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:33 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Also, always get "please give original routing credit" noted in your PNR by the AAgent at the time of rerouting. Makes those calls to customer service so much more pleasant. @:-)
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Well, I got the same answer twice already, "only get routing for the milage you actually flew." I had considered asking the original agent to put that note in my PNR, but I thought it was nearly automatic that they would happily give us the original routing credit, so I didn't bother.

Yikes! I was only going to be a few hundred miles over for requalifying, then yesterday I changed my AUS-ORD-DFW-TPA return to AUS-DFW-TPA, knowing it would be a walk in the park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.