Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) - 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update it.

Situation: You are flying AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to a non-AA partner airline; you would like to get the EQ/RDM for the flight.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AA; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit". (See more below.)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) - 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Any time you have irregular ops, ask the AAgent to make a note in your PNR stating that the customer is to receive Original Routing Credit.

Works like a charm.

AAdvantage: "We don't do that"

Spiff: "Please read the notes in the PNR"

AAdvantage: <type, type> "Ok, I have credited those segments; they should show up in 24-48 hours. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
This above poster was 100% correct. This is the correct way to ensure your mileage will post. If you do things any other way and get denied your mileage you can't be upset about it. If you're changing your routing you NEED to make sure that the PNR is noted.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:12 pm

This happened to me once before and I had no problem with an email on the 1st try. I would keep trying.

Peace!
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes keep trying.

Got bumped with a different routing. I called a few times and finally got the original credit posted last week - just enough to push me over 100,000 EQM.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I've had no trouble getting original routing credit, BUT - and this is a big "but" - I haven't had a situation that called for it in a year or more. Things change. The suggestion of having the agent who reroutes you put a note in your PNR is an excellent one, which I'll follow if/when it comes up again. This means you have to follow up fairly quickly, though, as they lose the PNR information after - what is it? A month? (Not that any FTer would wait that long for miles and points!)
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My apologies for being duplicative - I still think this may be a bug with AA doling out miles on through flights as if the flight had been non-stop.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
My apologies for being duplicative - I still think this may be a bug with AA doling out miles on through flights as if the flight had been non-stop.
While JDiver may well be right that the through flight thing complicates it, this has been the subject of a thread about once a month here on Flyertalk ever since I've been here. The experience of those who do nothing at the time of reroute and attempt to get original routing credit later has always been variable - some get it, some don't. The experience of those who ask that their PNR be noted for ORC before they accept the reroute has always been that they get it. I don't remember anyone ever being refused the notation, or anyone with the notation ever being refused ORC. I see nothing at all new here, just a repeat of our monthly thread on the subject.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I never had any problems getting the original routing mileage and I never had a note put in my PNR.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrzej
I never had any problems getting the original routing mileage and I never had a note put in my PNR.
While helpful, this is probably only a few data points.

For a helpful insight into this problem, take a look at post #9 in last month's discussion of this very topic:

Should I get original routing credit? Longtime and highly respected FT member Olimaspecto asked the AAdvantage CSR after the flight for ORC, and was denied until he pointed out that it was noted in the PNR by the EXP desk that he would receive it. Then, no problem.

I repeat that there is absolutely nothing new here. This is exactly the same situation that is discussed here every month. If you ask for notation in the PNR, you get it. If you get it, you get ORC. If you don't ask for the notation, you may still get it, but you may not.

The following is meant in general, not directed at andrzej:
If you don't want to ask for the PNR notation, it doesn't bother me. Be sure to start another thread here proclaiming a shift in AA policy on ORC on those occasions where you don't get ORC.

Last edited by gemac; Sep 14, 2006 at 9:16 am
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by gemac
While helpful, this is probably only a few data points.

For a helpful insight into this problem, take a look at post #9 in last month's discussion of this very topic:

Should I get original routing credit? Longtime and highly respected FT member Olimaspecto asked the EXP desk after the flight for ORC, and was denied until he pointed out that it was noted in the PNR that he would receive it. Then, no problem.

I repeat that there is absolutely nothing new here. This is exactly the same situation that is discussed here every month. If you ask for notation in the PNR, you get it. If you get it, you get ORC. If you don't ask for the notation, you may still get it, but you may not.

The following is meant in general, not directed at andrzej:
If you don't want to ask for the PNR notation, it doesn't bother me. Be sure to start another thread here proclaiming a shift in AA policy on ORC on those occasions where you don't get ORC.

I always call AAdvantage desk for problems with miles, etc. I have had nothing but great service from the AAdvantage desk agents. Maybe I just got lucky......I found that EXP desk is not very helpful or in some cases not even very knowledgeable when it comes to AAdvantage mileage issues.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrzej
I always call AAdvantage desk for problems with miles, etc. I have had nothing but great service from the AAdvantage desk agents. Maybe I just got lucky......I found that EXP desk is not very helpful or in some cases not even very knowledgeable when it comes to AAdvantage mileage issues.
Sorry. My bad. It was the AAdvantage desk agent that denied him originally, then granted him ORC after reading the notation in the PNR. It was the EXP desk that put the notation in his PNR. I have corrected my prior post.

I think it is evident that you have, in fact, been lucky.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by Efrem
This means you have to follow up fairly quickly, though, as they lose the PNR information after - what is it? A month? (Not that any FTer would wait that long for miles and points!)
Actually, not sure whether she was accurate, but when I called for my credit that she approved, I told her to pull up my PNR and see how I had changed routing and she said that the PNRs disappear 24 hours after the travel is completed and that she could no longer see my old PNR.

Luckly, she took my word for it and credited it with no questions asked.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good point! PNRs are indeed recycled after a time; ticket numbers remain unique, but have little information relevant to the discussion here, while the PNR contains a multitude of data but disappear quickly. That means we should strike quickly, while the iron is hot, so to speak; thanks for the reminder.

(It also makes me miss the ability to see our PNRs (and print them out) on FT even more.)

Originally Posted by jmplatinum
Actually, not sure whether she was accurate, but when I called for my credit that she approved, I told her to pull up my PNR and see how I had changed routing and she said that the PNRs disappear 24 hours after the travel is completed and that she could no longer see my old PNR.

Luckly, she took my word for it and credited it with no questions asked.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
please help: trip to GIG, delayed at EWR, original routing credit? suggestions?

see thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601875

Last edited by salut0; Sep 14, 2006 at 4:22 pm Reason: cross posting removed
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:21 am

In mid-July 2006, I was flying MEM-ORD-NRT-BKK (AA codeshare on JAL for the last leg). ORD-NRT was delayed due to mechanical problem, so missed the NRT-BKK flight and was rerouted on JAL the next day. The JAL flight gave me less mileage value (bonuses and EQMs), so I called AAdvantage customer service and they gave me credit for the original flights, without any problem (it was surprisingly easy). They erased the JAL flight from my AAdvantage statement and replaced it with the flight I was supposed to fly but didn't. All they wanted were the original ticket numbers and flight numbers, and it was handled over the phone in about 20 minutes.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:42 am

Question Involuntary reroute, including AA to QX - what do I get?

Yesterday my son and I gave up our seats on the 12:00 PDX/DFW flight and were booked on the 3:05 PDX/DFW flight. Just as soon as the 12:00 flight backed out they canceled the 3:05 flight due to weather in Dallas and the next flight out of PDX is the 11:50 redeye.

The GA rebooked us on Horizon/Horrorizon to SEA and then on the 5:05 flight to Dallas that ended up not leaving until 7:00 which is good or we would have never made it.

My question is do we get miles and segments from PDX to SEA and then to Dallas or do we just get the PDX/DFW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.