Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peanuts allergy warning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
This thread caught my attention, because I am severely allergic to tree nuts. People often confuse peanuts and tree nuts, however, a peanut is not really a "nut." Nonetheless, peanut allergies are still extremely common.

Some in this thread stated something I have heard a few times before - "I don't remember these types of things when I was a kid." Unfortunately, things change. The world is a constant-changing place and new diseases and allergies are always forming or being discovered.

I carry an Epi-Pen and thankfully I have not had a reaction since my first (and hopefully last) one about 12 years ago. This is most likely due to my extreme caution in reading ingrediants and letting restaurant personnal know of my allergy - and stressing the severity of it so they understand. I frequently fly, but my allergy is not really affect by the particles being airborne...I can go into shock only if I eat it. However, the smell of certain nuts is enough to make my throat "scratch".

There are tons of allergies out there so it would be impossible for an airline (or school or whatever) to eliminate everything - or nothing would be left! However, it is nice when people around you (for example, in an enclosed pressurized cabin for several hours) are polite and care enough to sacrifice some nuts for a few hours (if they have knowledge of the person's allergy.)

Here are some helpful links if you want to read about common allergies:

http://www.foodallergyinitiative.org/

http://www.foodallergy.org/

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/401_food.html
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jaylenofan86
Ah, I remember that thread I started. She is now my ex and for a pretty good reason too. That trip to Vegas was complete hell; I had peanuts on way to Vegas flying AW in first. I used a lot of mouthwash before she flew in a couple of hours after I landed in Vegas, and I've always done this every time I flew out to see her. When she later found out that I had peanuts that day, she FLIPPED on me. Already the trip was on a bad foot. So we get to the MGM Grand where I find out that she's not only allergic to peanut, but to DOWN COMFORTING! We had to wait another hour for housekeeping to come and change the sheets and all. Worst sleep I ever got since it felt like I was sleeping on a rock. That, plus the fact that she never offered to pay for anything plus never thanked me for anything, including the nice 40,000 miles + $50. She had to get the boot! Thanks to whoever stated in that thread about me getting a new girlfriend! Also, I'm sorry about that thread; I wasn't thinking right and was dealing with a high-maintenance girl.
IIRC, that thread concerned your efforts to get peanuts banned from the plane. AA was countering that she could wear a surgical mask in F or be downgraded to Y to avoid nut exposure. Just out of curiosity, what was the outcome? How did she get to Vegas?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Some in this thread stated something I have heard a few times before - "I don't remember these types of things when I was a kid." Unfortunately, things change. The world is a constant-changing place and new diseases and allergies are always forming or being discovered.
Or else those with these types of allergies simply died at an early age with cause of death being a mystery or misdiagnosed.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:17 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Rampo
Or else those with these types of allergies simply died at an early age with cause of death being a mystery or misdiagnosed.
Very valid point! Thanks to new technology and scientific studies, there are now ways to prevent death and hopefully avoid very serious illness caused by food allergies. However, people must still be aware that a food allergy means someone can go into shock and possibly die - it does not just mean they get a stomach ache or something.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by ned
Like most people I had no idea about the peanut allergy until I learned that two of my grandchildren have the peanut allergy very severely. I like many who have posted would react very negatively to anyone who used the word sue. Unfortunately this allergy can be very deadly and I doubt any of us would want to be responsible for a death. Anyone with this problem needs to notify the airline well in advance of the flight, and I believe the airline needs to take appropriate precautions. My daughter travels with her children but is very careful in doing so.
But what constitutes "appropriate precautions"? Even if the airline contacted every single passenger and asked them to avoid bringing nut products onto the flight, they can't be certain of compliance.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ned
Anyone with this problem needs to notify the airline well in advance of the flight, and I believe the airline needs to take appropriate precautions. My daughter travels with her children but is very careful in doing so.
This is so unmanagably unmanageable as to be totally impossible to enforce in practice. The risk is owned by the passenger not the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.