Wiki Posts
Search

So how bad are the "old" Int'l J seats?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, DL FO, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
So how bad are the "old" Int'l J seats?

Are they the same pitch and recline as those offered on the domestic routes (e.g., to/from HNL)?

If the new J is "almost lie flat", how would one characterize the "old J"?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by RPRocket
Are they the same pitch and recline as those offered on the domestic routes (e.g., to/from HNL)?

1. If you were on a 763 from ORD or DFW (and some flights from LAX) to HNL you were in the seat in question. If you were on a 757 you were not.

2. A cradle where your feet are about 18 inches below your head.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Depends also on whether you were on a 763 or a 772. Most prefer the 763 beause of the extra recline and pitch, especially if you are tall. Recline I believe is the same, or differs only marginally.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I personally dislike the J seats because most of them are broken. Everytime I'm on B777 from DFW-MIA or DFW-ORD the J seats have some sort of problems. Last time the footrest has tapped off and the video screen wouldn't even turn on.

Overall the seat was a dissaster. Can't wait for the seats to be replaced with the new ones.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:29 pm

Real bad in my opinion. I actually prefered the old, old seats.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:53 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They were horrible. On an 11-hour flight from LAX-LHR, I would be lucky if I could sleep 2 hours in those seats.

OTOH, with true "lie-flat" seats, I can get 8 hours of sleep. It remains to be seen whether the new seats will provide the same.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Hoc
They were horrible. On an 11-hour flight from LAX-LHR, I would be lucky if I could sleep 2 hours in those seats.
I just booked LHR-LAX for November, and the one thing that does save me in those business class seats is the pillows. AA does have pretty decent pillows up front. Give me a good pillow and I can fall asleep in any seat
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by Hoc
Seems to me that if the 763/777 J seats were horrible, pax would not be upgrading. Sure, these are not *wood's Heavenly Bed, but most can get reasonably comfortable in them. If you want a reality check, turn around and check out the passengers in coach.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Not bad for lounging, can be pretty uncomfortable for sleeping. Pitch is good enough, but recline on the 777 isn't great, the legrest isn't well designed, and the headrests can be incredibly uncomfortable.

Obviously much better than Y, but not top of the line...
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Gld, AA MM
Don't fly international much, but when I do I prefer not to do a redeye because I cannot sleep comfortably in the old J seats. Not sure what it is - the angle or slope, but I just cannot get any rest in those things. Funny, because I have a much easier time falling asleep in an exit row Y or domestic F seat. So, if you take a non-redeye flight and stay awake, they are fine... at least for me.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

If you were on a 763 from ORD or DFW (and some flights from LAX) to HNL you were in the seat in question.

Yack! I have been on several 763's from DFW-SFO. The seats are certainly nice for domestic F - superior to the MD80 and 738's IMHO.

I've asked this question previously - is it worth an extra leg or two up to YYZ to fly BA J over water. I hate to add this much complexity to the trip but these reviews are scary.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold

There is no differentiation on 763 routes- they're all flown by similarly configured aircraft. There is only one current generation 767 configuration, which has 30 J seats at 60 inches of pitch.

(Ironically, the sole NGBC aircraft has been doing quite a few Hawaii runs)

That aside, not having too much experience with the new seats, I would say that they're pretty dismal. They are of course nicer than 757s in F, but it has never been particularly easy for me to get in a comfortable sleeping position in these seats. Okay for lounging, but not so much anything else.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

If you were on a 763 from ORD or DFW (and some flights from LAX) to HNL you were in the seat in question.

Yack! I have been on several 763's from DFW-SFO. The seats are certainly nice for domestic F - superior to the MD80 and 738's IMHO. I would have hoped the int'l product was something different. I know that DL and CO have specific int'l configurations with better seats on the same aircraft they fly domestically

I've asked this question previously - is it worth an extra leg or two up to YYZ to fly BA J over water. I hate to add this much complexity to the trip but these reviews are scary.
EDITED - SORRY FOR THE POSTING ERROR
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:49 pm

So much depends on your point of comparison:

Y - they're great

domestic F - eerily familiar or better

major carrier int'l J - sadly lacking
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:04 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MDSD
If you want a reality check, turn around and check out the passengers in coach.
The reality check was when I got on an AF flight from LHR to Paris after my AA flight from LAX-LHR. I tossed and turned without being able to sleep on the AA flight in J. Slept a total of about 2 hours, fitfully, in 20-minute spurts. But when I got on the AF flight in coach, the seat was finally comfortable enough that I was able to sleep straight through the whole flight.

I really don't see any significant difference (sure, the seats look different, there are footrests, and there's always the "neckbreaker" headrest in the J seat) between the AA seat in coach and the AA seat in J. I recently flew ORD-DUB in coach on AA, and saw no meaningful difference in the seat. In fact, the old J seats on AA are so bad that I see no reason to upgrade from coach when flying to Europe, and I save my miles for F on CX, or other uses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.