Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you book this upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
Yes, they've added AA383 and AA1520 (MIA-LAX and LAX-MIA) to the list of 3 class transcons in the exceptions:
Very interesting. I wonder what the pricing for this route will be.

I would also imagine that this could be a marketing/scheduling nightmare -- only one flight per day is 3 class, and all others are 2 class.

To the OP -- I'd request an u/g with stickers on the domestic legs and stay on the waitlist for the international legs. If you want, send me a PM and I'll run a quick EF analysis for you.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Interesting, I thought the only three class domestic flights operated as such by AA was JFK-LAX/SFO.
Well, for the past 3 years or so, that's generally been true. But prior to that, we had AFS on BOS-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX/SFO; JFK-SAN and perhaps another route or two.

Until early 2004, when the LAX-NRT flight began, we did have a 777 3 class AFS flight MIA-LAX.

I assume that this flight will feature AFS identical to JFK-LAX/SFO.

Perhaps if the current legacy airline recovery continues, UA and AA will be moved to do what they did throughout the 1990s: Expand 3 class transcon service. One sure way to differentiate themselves from the B6s and WNs of the world. We can certainly dream.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Ceasy
Very interesting. I wonder what the pricing for this route will be.

I would also imagine that this could be a marketing/scheduling nightmare -- only one flight per day is 3 class, and all others are 2 class.
JFK-SFO has been this way for a while, hasn't it?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
JFK-SFO has been this way for a while, hasn't it?
I don't think so -- aren't all JFK-SFO flights AFS three-class flights?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ceasy
I don't think so -- aren't all JFK-SFO flights AFS three-class flights?
Nope - 3 daily 763s (2 classes) and 2 daily 762s (with 3 classes)
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: aa exp
I have taken this flight 4 timesthis year and i got the upgrade aprox 10 days before the flight they always seam to have open seats in biz class
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyboyNYC
In November, I'm flying GIG - LAX via MIA in coach. Currently, there is no C availability from GIG to MIA (although J is wide open), so I am on the upgrade list. There is, however, C availability from MIA to LAX.

Therefore, I have two choices:

1. Book the upgrade from MIA-LAX now for 15K miles and stay on waitlist for the leg from GIG-MIA (which will be an additional 25K + $250, if it clears). This would be a total of 40K miles + $250 for a one-way upgrade.

2. Not book the MIA-LAX upgrade now and wait to see if the whole trip clears. This means I may end up in C all the way from GIG to LAX for 25K + $250, or I may end up in coach all the way, if the C availability from MIA to LAX disappears.

What should I do?
Actually my question for you is, since it is on a 777 from MIA-LAX... how did you purchase this ticket? Did you book the MIA-LAX portion separate or is this a roundtrip LAX-GIG via MIA. Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that if you book LAX-GIG in coach, you are restricted to the coach area for the duration of the flight... and it remains a 3 class service for you... for those flying domestic then it is a 2 class service with the upgrade being in F, not J cabin.

If you booked the whole thing together, how are you being able to split your reservation to upgrade one leg and not the rest? Maybe I am a little rusty but this doesnt sound right to me.....

If you did this separate, i say take the 15K upgrade if you can and get your butt up in F... if you dont get the upgrade to J from GIG to MIA then it would be nice to be able to rest in a flat bed for 4-5 hours of your trip dont you think?

-Eli
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-2MM EXP
Originally Posted by Eli Gorin
Actually my question for you is, since it is on a 777 from MIA-LAX... how did you purchase this ticket? Did you book the MIA-LAX portion separate or is this a roundtrip LAX-GIG via MIA. Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that if you book LAX-GIG in coach, you are restricted to the coach area for the duration of the flight... and it remains a 3 class service for you... for those flying domestic then it is a 2 class service with the upgrade being in F, not J cabin.

If you booked the whole thing together, how are you being able to split your reservation to upgrade one leg and not the rest? Maybe I am a little rusty but this doesnt sound right to me.....
The original ticket = JFK - GIG (stop in GRU); GIG - LAX (connection in MIA); LAX - JFK all in V or G class.

They are selling the MIA-LAX 777 service (even the domestic-only piece) as 3-class; therefore my upgrade would be to J(C), not F. I have no problems dropping 15K miles on an upgrade to C on a domestic cross-country flight, I just don't want to drop 40K + $250 on an international upgrade if I don't have to.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Eli Gorin

If you did this separate, i say take the 15K upgrade if you can and get your butt up in F... if you dont get the upgrade to J from GIG to MIA then it would be nice to be able to rest in a flat bed for 4-5 hours of your trip dont you think?

-Eli
I think you are very confused about this... First of all, MIA-LAX is being sold as 3 class, so it's not 2 class for anybody. Second, GIG-LAX is two different flight numbers, so even if MIA-LAX was 2-class (which it's not), the OP could sit wherever he wanted on either flight, and upgrade either flight. Third, GIG-MIA is 2-class service on a 767-300.

What you're describing sounds like what would happen if someone was flying on the 777 service AA908 EZE-MIA-DFW which is 3-class EZE-MIA, and 2-class MIA-DFW, but this is a COMPLETELY different scenario IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.