Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Lounge Day Passes Now Available on Self-Service Machines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Lounge Day Passes Now Available on Self-Service Machines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Admirals Club Lounge Day Passes Now Available on Self-Service Machines

FORT WORTH, Texas, July 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines has rolled out a new enhancement in its Self-Service Check-In machines, which will now offer travelers the opportunity to purchase one-day passes for Admirals Club® lounges as they are checking in.

"Our customers have asked us to make the purchase of one-day passes for American's Admirals Club lounges easier and faster," said Maya Leibman, American's Managing Director of Airport Automation. "With the flexibility and the ease of use that we have built into our Self-Service machines, we are able to deliver a simple solution that allows our customers to take full advantage of our premium services."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060725/datu027.html?.v=66
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
FORT WORTH, Texas, July 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines has rolled out a new enhancement in its Self-Service Check-In machines, which will now offer travelers the opportunity to purchase one-day passes for Admirals Club® lounges as they are checking in.

"Our customers have asked us to make the purchase of one-day passes for American's Admirals Club lounges easier and faster," said Maya Leibman, American's Managing Director of Airport Automation. "With the flexibility and the ease of use that we have built into our Self-Service machines, we are able to deliver a simple solution that allows our customers to take full advantage of our premium services."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060725/datu027.html?.v=66
Oddly enough, we customers seem to be clamoring for better ways to give AA our money, but we never seem to want a better flying experience.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Well, this is in the yawn category for me. (Not in any way directed at the OP or the thread..I'm glad we have Tom911 posting such info ^). Complete yawn from the AA standpoint.

Kind of like McDonald's announcing that they have an automatic french fry (or is it freedom fry ) dispenser.

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Now if AA announced the equiv of bringing back the McRib....
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:04 pm

I suppose this is a good idea for AA because it exposes the casual traveler to the possibility of visiting the Admirals Club. That being said, how is this actually of use to any passenger? I mean, you don't actually bypass any lines by doing this -- one way or another, youre going to spend a moment at the front desk of the Admirals Club, whether it be presenting your pass or purchasing it. The other kiosk functions -- getting a boarding pass, or same-day upgrade, for example, allow you to avoid the counter lines. And even if you could bypass the front desk, which you can't, its not like those lines are long to begin with. So why not just purchase it at the desk?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
I agree. For most travelers, they want to clear security first. And then see if they have any time leftover to go to the club. Why would you buy it ahead of time?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by brp
Complete yawn from the AA standpoint.
I imagine there's a portion of the flying public that doesn't even know about the airline lounges. If they sell 10 of these a day systemwide, that's $182,500 a year extra income, with little additional expense (the cost of an apple, or some additional snack mix). Sell 55 a day, and that's an extra $1 million a year (and with 43 individual lounges, they'd only need to sell 1-2 a day per airport to reach that goal). Although a lot of us here won't be interested because we have memberships, I see the potential of selling these and making almost 100% profit. If anything, it might help hold our renewal costs down some.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by brp

Kind of like McDonald's announcing that they have an automatic french fry (or is it freedom fry ) dispenser.

Cheers.
No, McDonald's customers might actually spend money to buy french fries. The AC daily fee is far too much in a world of dodging $10 phone fees, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rbessler
I suppose this is a good idea for AA because it exposes the casual traveler to the possibility of visiting the Admirals Club. That being said, how is this actually of use to any passenger? I mean, you don't actually bypass any lines by doing this -- one way or another, youre going to spend a moment at the front desk of the Admirals Club, whether it be presenting your pass or purchasing it. The other kiosk functions -- getting a boarding pass, or same-day upgrade, for example, allow you to avoid the counter lines. And even if you could bypass the front desk, which you can't, its not like those lines are long to begin with. So why not just purchase it at the desk?
It is all about the impulse--if you are checking in and see the offer, one is likely to take it instead of standing in line at security and debating whether or not to go upstairs or wherever to the lounge to buy the pass. So, once they have your money, you want to be sure you use it. I am sure the timing of it is what they are after. And I think the whole "customers are asking us..." is a complete line of bs.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
I imagine there's a portion of the flying public that doesn't even know about the airline lounges. If they sell 10 of these a day systemwide, that's $182,500 a year extra income, with little additional expense (the cost of an apple, or some additional snack mix). Sell 55 a day, and that's an extra $1 million a year (and with 43 individual lounges, they'd only need to sell 1-2 a day per airport to reach that goal). Although a lot of us here won't be interested because we have memberships, I see the potential of selling these and making almost 100% profit. If anything, it might help hold our renewal costs down some.
I just don't think that it will happen in large numbers, and I support ricktoronto's argument. As we've all noted, the flying public is, primarily, trying to save $10 on their airfare going to various sites, etc. The last thing they will do, IMO, is spring for $50 for the pass. Those who are not as price sensitive and may buy better fares (people like us) already know about the ACs and either have memberships, or know how to get a day pass if they want one.

I agree that there is no real downside to offering this, so I wasn't critical of AA for doing it- by all means go ahead...I just think of it as a non-announcement. Even the return of cloth towels to J/F meant more to me

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I think this new enhancement has the potential to bring in substantial revenue without making the clubs too crowded.

However, it does open a HUGE can of worms. Until now, self-service check-in machines have been advertisement-free. But now?

You know how sometimes when you log in to Bank of America, or stop at a gas station that has a car wash attached, you get a "pop-up"-type prompt? Something like: "While you're here, don't you want to sign up for a _____?" and you have to keep pressing "No Thanks" until you finally get to the main screen. Know what I mean?

I think it would be irritating if EVERY SINGLE TIME you used self-service to check in, you would have to see: "Do you want to add a Day Pass?" screen, and have to click "No Thanks." That would be tedious! And just think, what could be next--those self-service machines are just dying for more advertising.

I can see it now.

You swipe your card....

"Hello, [name]. While we search for your itinerary today, would you like to sign up for a Citi AAdvantage card?"

{and you press "No Thanks"}

"Would you be interested in an Admirals Club Day Pass?"

{"No Thanks"}

"Would you like to view some more partner offers?"

{"No Thanks"}

"Would you like to pre-pay for your rental car at [destination]?"

{"No Thanks"}

"Would you like to pre-pay via credit card for your on-board snack box and alcoholic beverages?"

{Pax tears hair out of his head and walks over to WN counter}

Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Last edited by ESpen36; Jul 25, 2006 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by brp
I just don't think that it will happen in large numbers, and I support ricktoronto's argument. As we've all noted, the flying public is, primarily, trying to save $10 on their airfare going to various sites, etc. The last thing they will do, IMO, is spring for $50 for the pass. Those who are not as price sensitive and may buy better fares (people like us) already know about the ACs and either have memberships, or know how to get a day pass if they want one.

I agree that there is no real downside to offering this, so I wasn't critical of AA for doing it- by all means go ahead...I just think of it as a non-announcement. Even the return of cloth towels to J/F meant more to me

Cheers.
Just one data point but at ORD last week the two people in front of me (looked like mid-30s business types) both bought day passes. Someone's doing it obviously...
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hilton-gold
It is all about the impulse--if you are checking in and see the offer, one is likely to take it instead of standing in line at security and debating whether or not to go upstairs or wherever to the lounge to buy the pass.
That is quite true. AA definitely will get the impulse buyers' market with this new enhancement. It's kind of like those as-seen-on-TV ads that boast, "and for just $50 more, you can add a Day Pass!"

It is exceptional value for AA with regard to those "impulse buyers" who likely will not spend very much time (if any at all) in the AC after purchasing a Day Pass.

Why?

Well, in order to make a Day Pass worthwhile, you need to spend a considerable amount of the time at one club or multiple clubs. But, most travelers will not arrive with enough time at the airport to take proper advantage of their Day Pass before their flight departs. That's why overcrowding won't be an issue. In fact, some folks might buy a Day Pass, then get into the Y line for security at MIA , and by the time they get through the line, they have to go straight to the gate! (How about some pure revenue for AA! Those passes are non-refundable!)

And frankly, I myself sometimes just go into the AC to use the restroom, check email, and get something to drink. In and out in 10 minutes or less. That's not making the most of my memberhip. But 6 hours in a club when I'm stranded for a WX delay DEFINITELY makes up for it!
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f9999
Just one data point but at ORD last week the two people in front of me (looked like mid-30s business types) both bought day passes. Someone's doing it obviously...
Right...and they already know how to get the day pass, being in the class of folks I mentioned who would consider this. My feeling is that those who don't know already (and are alerted by the kiosk) are not likely he types to do that. Sure there will be exceptions (I'm a member, and I've never yet seen a person buy a day pass, but I've seen people leave after being told how much it was), but I don't think it will be common. Just MO.

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:26 pm

Irregular Ops -- Suspend Sales?

I think it's a great idea for AA to make a bit more revenue by selling daypasses --- except when the ACs are already packed because there are irregular operations due to weather, etc. It is on precisely such days that a traveller might decide to invest $50 in a day pass.

I hope that AA will undertake to limit availability of ACs and suspend sales of day passes (whether at the counter or by kiosk) at times when the AC is already full of "regular" members. The unkindest insult, I believe, would be to have daypassers filling up the club (as foul weather members) when the "regular" members are crowded out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.