Wiki Posts
Search

4 million miler question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tokatya
1. how long have you flown
2. how frequently to get to get to 4 million miles?
3. I wonder if any other airlines give you something more.
4. sounds like I have a long way to get there.
I'm guessing...
1. A long time.
2. Almost every week.
3. A few do; most don't.
4. Yes, you do.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tokatya
Just from curiosity how long have you flown since and how frequently to get to get to 4 million miles? Yeah I agree the rewards you get for it seem nominal for American Airlines. I wonder if any other airlines give you something more. Either way, sounds like I have a long way to get there. lol
Sounds like someone has a coupon they want to "connect".
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:55 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by DFWRaider
Personally, I think it's pretty cool that they even keep up with your lifetime mileage after 2MM, let alone give VIPs for each threshhold.

It would be great if they gave lifetime EXP, but as an EXP who doesn't want the tier level diluted I'm glad they stop at lifetime PLAT (which in and of itself is a pretty darn good perk).
Delta (yeaI know bankrupt) HAD their top tier as lifetime for 4MM and above .. they recently cancelled that 'allowance'. Not certain what happened to those who had that status from prior mileage. Think this happened maybe 2-3 years ago (was post 9/11).

Delta HAD a tier above their top level (above EXP in AA terms). It was called Flying Colonel. It was invitation only thru existing Flying Colonels... you had to have someone sponsor you. It allowed confirmed First seats at time of booking on any fare basis (no stickers or anything). This was also eliminated several years ago .. I knew a FC but have not talked to him in years so have no idea what happened to the 'status'. I'm assuming it all went away ...

I have no issue with the current GLD (1MM) and PLT (2MM and above) lifetime status. I'll earn my EXP for a few more years until retirement then see where things are at! Maybe SOME DAY I will get to use up my many many miles!
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:30 am

I also knew a FC but he might as well have been living on a plane. Home in ATL, but not really.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Sounds like someone has a coupon they want to "connect".
Late to the game, but I agree with ya on this one

Cheers.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by JGR01
Delta (yeaI know bankrupt) HAD their top tier as lifetime for 4MM and above ..
The 4MM required for Lifetime PM status on DL are BIS miles and does not include CC purchases, bonuses, etc., and so I don't think too many people qualified. I use DL & SkyTeam only as a second choice to AA & OW because the 4MM BIS target on DL/SkyTeam is almost impossible for me to achieve.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by JDiver
They actually used to have other gifts - but now it's the same 4 VIPs, two luggage tags and new status card with 4 million logo. Congratulations! You will now be Platinum for two consecutive life sentences...
I had a colleague a while ago (I'm thinking around 2000) who hit either 3MM or 4MM and said got a Tumi hanging bag (he said he was able to select from a list of possible gifts) and also used to get invites from AA for things like a day at the Byron Nelson golf tournament or special sporting events. Funny thing was, he was lower $$ than I was (I knew his travel spend) and also was only EXP the first year of the program but never after that. He also supposedly picked up 1MM of his total from a contest on AA that he won.

I always wondered how accurate some of his statements were. He wasn't a designated VIP with our comany on our AA accounts although he did have the MM tags on his bags. And he knew precious little about the program itself - I found myself constantly educating him with tidbits I learned on FT and through my own experience - so it certainly gives some credibility to those folks that many of you like to make fun of (the EXPs who stumble on FT and know nothing about their benefits)... I seem to run into a lot of them flying too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.