Wiki Posts
Search

DFW - Terminal D Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
DFW - Terminal D Questions

I'll be passing through DFW a number of times during upcoming months, each time with about 2 hour layover. From the DFW website, I see a number of eating options in terminal D. Are any of them worth leaving either A or C to get a bit to eat? How long does it take to get to/from terminal D? Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by wintersummer
I'll be passing through DFW a number of times during upcoming months, each time with about 2 hour layover. From the DFW website, I see a number of eating options in terminal D. Are any of them worth leaving either A or C to get a bit to eat? How long does it take to get to/from terminal D? Thanks.
YES! I'm a big fan of Cousin's BBQ, and make the "trek," which is probably 5-10 min ride on the SkyLink depending how far you are. There's also plenty of sit-down type places there too, I just haven't gotten tired of Cousin's yet.

Remember, go which ever direction has the LEAST NUMBER OF STOPS, not the shorter distance.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Don't forget the AC in Terminal A. I am of the opinion that it is vastly superior to all the others, including even the new club in D.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Using the skylink , ( it is inside security), 5-10mins.

You can also walk airside from C I think via the overhead walkways to D ( 5-10mins)

There are quite a few eating places in Terminal D ( flew out from D on BA DFW-LGW on 12th June)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I prefer La Duni. You can enjoy a quick bite or a top shelf meal. I've been known to arrive extra early just to partake. I recommend the mojitos and cuatro leches cake, just not together.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Remember, go which ever direction has the LEAST NUMBER OF STOPS, not the shorter distance.
Please explain. Where is there a case that the shortest distance isn't also the fewest stops? Assuming you're not going to a specific location in D and even an equal number of stops, the train is so fast that the difference between clockwise (longer) and counterclockwise (shorter) is under a minute. It seems like the only station that this might make a difference would be Low C. But even in that case, the advice should be to just take the first train available.

Last edited by dayone; Jul 1, 2006 at 3:36 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Please explain. Where is there a case that the shortest distance isn't also the fewest stops?
When the train takes you past where a future "Terminal F" would be built... longer distance, but no stops there.

I've had trains stop at a station for upwards of 2 minutes, so the timing is variable.

Looking at the map, if I was in Terminal C (either stop), I would take the SkyLink towards E (clockwise), as there are at most 3 stops until you reach the first D stop. If I was in A or B, I would take it counterclockwise.

YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I guess MMDV. The route of the map is imprecisely approximate. Low C is a coin toss.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Ate couple of times at the Mexican/South-west place on the second level at D and the food is suprising good, with fairly decent sized portions.
Definately better than the usual Food Court/Fridays fare and the place has a more open feel to the "trapped in a box" feeling you get at the other eateries.

mike
Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:41 pm

Terminal D definitely has some of the best restaurants and now we race over there when we have 2 or more hours of connection time. We love Reata Grill when really hungry. Good steaks, chicken frieds, and even a Mexican plate and fast too. Cool River is good, Champps Bar and Grill has great burgers. And I too have heard that the Mexican place is good. Forget Funddruckers (Marche) - you'll walk a long way unless your gate is nearby and it was slow and not that great.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:00 pm

A couple of people have mentioned the "mexican food" in Terminal D. Just to clarify, there are two: La Duni (which is more of a general Latin American restaurant with dishes from various countries, except Brazil) and Cantina Laredo (which is Tex-Mex). Both are "real" Dallas restaurants with locations outside the airport and both are good, although La Duni is a bit more upscale.

You can also use the fitness center at the new Grand Hyatt in Terminal D.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
You can also use the fitness center at the new Grand Hyatt in Terminal D.

How does this work? I will be at DFW for about a 7-hour layover on Tuesday, and since the C.R. Smith museum will be closed, I'm looking for things to do. One of them should be to work out. Does the Hyatt offer day rates? Or how does one go about using the fitness center without being a guest? Is there someplace to store my carry-ons?

Thanks! Sorry for the barrage of questions.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:55 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ESpen36
... I'm looking for things to do. One of them should be to work out. Does the Hyatt offer day rates?
The Admirals Club in DFW Terminal A has a fitness center. (There may also be one in D, I don't recall.) An AC day pass is probably cheaper than the day rate at the Hyatt, plus the day pass can be applied towards membership.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:25 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Since everyone is talking about 'transit time' on Skylink, I thought I would pass on what an airport employee told me.

Maximum waiting time at a station (oops just missed train) is 2 minutes
Trains stop at a station for 1 minute
Time from station to station is 1 minute

Count your stations .. double and add 1.

C27-23 to B9-21 would be 9 minute travel time by this estimate.

Granted the 'future F' terminal with no stations but track will take longer to go station to station. So it all depends on your 'direction' Using the above example it may take 12-13 minutes to go 'the long way' around.

All this estimate excludes escallator time, deciding to turn left or right after exiting Skylink and the issues with someone holding the doors or a train going out of service (yes it does happen).

YMMV but within a minute or two this is a good estimate.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:41 pm
TR35R

Ah... Yes, there is a indoor rock climbing facility near the gate 29/30 in terminal-D. Please don't confuse it with "Mountain Aluminum".
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
There may also be one in D, I don't recall.

Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
The Admirals Club in DFW Terminal A has a fitness center. (There may also be one in D, I don't recall.) An AC day pass is probably cheaper than the day rate at the Hyatt, plus the day pass can be applied towards membership.

Thanks, I am an AC member and am aware of the fitness center at the AC in Terminal A. I have used it many times during shorter layovers. I was just wondering, given my long layover, if I might have better options if I went outside security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.