Search

Need Upgrade Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Talking Need Upgrade Advice

hi folks:

Need some upgrade advice. PLT here- on a ORD to SJC flight on thursday night. Upgrade has not gone through yet even at 72 hours.

Expert Flyer is showing 2 first class seats that are open. I know after the 72 hours- things devolve into another way of deciding who gets the open seats.

I think I read somewhere that checking in online as close to the 24-hr period is helpful. Is that true?

In addition, I'm a new admirals' club member- can they help me there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Lately, upgrades have been clearing much later (i.e at the airport). On a route like that, you really shouldn't expect it to clear at 72 hours.

Nothing changes after 72 hours passes, what you're thinking of is after 3 or 4 hour mark passes, which is when the upgrade list goes under airport control and you have to re-request at the airport.

Make sure you check in at exactly 24 hour mark so that you can have priority among PLATs.

With only two seats showing, it is very likely that it will not clear until the airport and I wouldn't count on it clearing for you even then as EXPs will have a higher priority than you.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
To save time, we have distilled this down to a 3-step process:

1) SEARCH.

2) READ.

3) LEARN.

If that's too easy, you can add:

4) Check back with us after you've invested a small fraction of the time in this stuff that the rest of us have.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=15 (although calling at 100 hours won't work for you, since you're a PLT... only works for EXPs)
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:42 am

Leftistblue:
Don't let some of these responses get you down.
Yes, upgrades seem to be clearing later and later; and AA is holding back more and more seats until the last minute. It's not like it used to be, and clearly AA is desperate for any last-minute revenue they can find.
You're already in the queue for an upgrade, but with only 2 seats left, it won't happen until nearer departure. If AA can't sell those 2 seats, then they'll go in the usual order: EXP, Plat, Gold. If the 2 seats are still open the day of your flight, I'd advise you to check in as early as possible.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:51 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Yes by God leftistblue don't search or do anything to learn, just mooch answers from people, a good and valid point, Roadrunner2.

Actually, OP: send PM's to Roadrunner2 with your questions vs. posting.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
thanks Roadrunner.

I actually did try and search, but the search function was not working.

It amazes me th energy people put out just to be snarky and ask people search. Why respond at all?

This board becomes less friendly all the time.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:11 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF
To save time, we have distilled this down to a 3-step process:

1) SEARCH.

2) READ.

3) LEARN.

4) Check back with us after you've invested a small fraction of the time in this stuff that the rest of us have.
Hoping YOU never get another upgrade.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's pretty sad that some here are requiring posters to type "I did a search" before they offer any help. Do you think we might be running people off the AA board by this approach (or do you really care)?

I've met some FTers that have said this forum has a reputation of being less than hospitable to newbies. I can see why they come to that conclusion.

Last edited by tom911; Jun 20, 2006 at 8:26 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Yes by God leftistblue don't search or do anything to learn, just mooch answers from people, a good and valid point, Roadrunner2.

Actually, OP: send PM's to Roadrunner2 with your questions vs. posting.
What search string would you use for this search?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
He did try to do a search. It does not always work. Maybe you could have provided a link to where the information was available?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by CO FF

Maybe you could have provided a link where the information was available? The OP did try to do a search, but it was down.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
He did try to do a search. It does not always work. Maybe you could have provided a link to where the information was available?
Right - exactly. What are you going to search for? "Upgrade"?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Right - exactly. What are you going to search for? "Upgrade"?
You'd likely get 10,000 responses. Good luck! I just can't see why folks are not more helpful on this forum.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
I've met some FTers that have said this forum has a reputation of being less than hospitable to newbies. I can see why they come to that conclusion.
Oh, please, like this is the only forum where people tell others to do searches first. It happend quite frequently on the CO forum, and there was one poster in particular who always "encouraged" newbies to search first. Sadly, he is no longer with us.

In any event, the whole reason for 10,000 posts about upgrades is in part due to people not searching first! Vicious cycle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.