Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing Anomalies: Buying a BA ticket on AA.com or vice versa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
Pricing Anomalies: Buying a BA ticket on AA.com or vice versa

When purchasing a ticket on AA.com to travel on BA, I found a HUGE price anomaly between the two yesterday.

BA.com was quoting £792 ($1,490) for a return flight from LHR-NBO-LHR for July 3, returning October 15. AA.com sold me the same ticket for $935. Both were in discounted Y.

I know that I have benefited from this discrepancy in the past because AA does not have to pay some of the taxes/fees that BA pays, but a 50% pricing anomaly is INSANE.

I am not complaining, but was wondering if anyone has any insights on how/why this happens.

Of course, if this is a loophole that people don’t want BA/AA to pick up on, I am happy to edit this post and ask a moderator to close the thread.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAmerican_in_London
..Of course, if this is a loophole that people don’t want BA/AA to pick up on, I am happy to edit this post and ask a moderator to close the thread.
I don't think that'll be necessary.

BTW, any chance the higher fare that BA.com offered wasn't in BA -T--class-- WT+?

In any case, I would certainly think it's in a different fare class-- possibly yielding more EQM/EQP.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 1, 2006 at 9:26 am
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:22 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I've noticed the same. The difference is huge in some cases.
If I must travel by BA, I buy my tickets from aa.com usually.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More than likely aa.com finds different (US) availability than ba.com's (UK) availability. The $935 fare is the cheaper R class fare, which is not showing as available if you go onto ba.com

Usually the fare difference is small, and often just to do with lower taxes charged on aa.com, but sometimes you can find big differences.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:59 am

AA.com also usually finds lower fares than Iberia.com, especially for tickets wholly within Spain, which can also be around 50% lower than at Iberia. You also avoid Iberia.com's ticketing fee (even e-tickets purchased online face fees at Iberia) and lots of hefty European and Spanish taxes.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
I'd also call AA before ticketing BA tickets online too. I've generally received lower fares (just a few bucks) over the phone with AA than on AA.com for BA. Then again, if you're not EXP, you have to pay the res fee so it may not be worth it.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: BA, DL, AA
Wow.. that is a huge difference. I would say that you got lucky. I check on my August flight. AA.com is $0.02 cheaper than BA.com for the same schedule.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
The flights were in R class on BA.com bith ways, while it was H class for the outbound, and R class for the return on AA.com.

I actually booked on the phone with an EXP agent as I kept getting an "Invalid State Error" online.

You're right though - sometimes the difference is huge, and sometimes non-existent: I was looking for flights for my fiancee for Aug 12/Aug 19, and the difference was only $50.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA1MMEXP, DL1MMPM, UAExecPrem, IT Gold, Hilton Dia, SPG PL, Marriott Sil, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC5*
A lot of times there is a discrepency between fares you can find on US websites vs the UK or EU versions. I've found this on expedia.com as well as others. Technically if you reside in the UK you are not allowed to purchase tickets from non-UK websites. Most sites will "read" that you are browsing from the UK and will direct you to the UK version. Nothing a little creative web browsing can't get around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.