Weekly JFK->LAX->JFK flyers

Old May 15, 2006, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Weekly JFK->LAX->JFK flyers

Hey all,

I was wondering if some experienced ExP can comment on how often they get upgraded taking JFK->LAX flights on Sunday nights or Monday mornings and LAX->JFK flights back on Thursday nights or Friday.

This is my first year flying a substantial amount in the USA and I take these flights weekly and have yet to be upgraded once (as a Plat) - i'm hoping once i hit ExP these might clear at least now and then? (i really hope so cause flying economy every week is killing me)

Another quick question - if you board the plane do you get removed from the upgrade request list? I was #2 for upgrade the other night and the plane was boarding early so wasn't sure if I should wait it out or get on.

Adam
Old May 15, 2006, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by kamarge
Hey all,

Another quick question - if you board the plane do you get removed from the upgrade request list? I was #2 for upgrade the other night and the plane was boarding early so wasn't sure if I should wait it out or get on.
I don't know the answer to your first question, but I have been upgraded after boarding before - and let me tell you it is not fun trying to get from the exit rows of an MD80 to F against the flow of traffic.
Old May 15, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by Tambreet
I don't know the answer to your first question, but I have been upgraded after boarding before - and let me tell you it is not fun trying to get from the exit rows of an MD80 to F against the flow of traffic.
IME, its best to generally wait until the traffic flow has stopped. Even if they announce for you to come to the front just push the call button, wait, and then go up after the traffic has died down.
Old May 15, 2006, 9:51 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if some experienced ExP can comment on how often they get upgraded taking JFK->LAX flights on Sunday nights or Monday mornings and LAX->JFK flights back on Thursday nights or Friday.

This is my first year flying a substantial amount in the USA and I take these flights weekly and have yet to be upgraded once (as a Plat) - i'm hoping once i hit ExP these might clear at least now and then? (i really hope so cause flying economy every week is killing me)

Adam
These flights are notoriously hard to upgrade on, but it does happen. I just flew one last night LAX-JFK (upgraded on an eVIP) and both J and F were completely full. I fly SFO-JFK redeyes regularly too and the story is quite similar, but I have had more success midweek than on the peak days you are talking about. If you do a search you will hear loads about this, and the difficulty in upgrading. Upgrades, even for an EXP on this route are extremely tough.
Old May 15, 2006, 9:51 pm
formerly sirgolf82

I too wonder the same on the reverse flights...I'm booked in Y, waiting for a sticker upgrade on this friday's JFK-LAX flt 133 at 4pm. Expertflyer shows 0's across the board on all F and J fares. There are a few empty seats on aa.com, but we know that isn't reliable.

Anyone else waiting in line too? Looks like the upgrade chances are slim. Let's grab a beer at JFK.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
These flights are notoriously hard to upgrade on, but it does happen. I just flew one last night LAX-JFK (upgraded on an eVIP) and both J and F were completely full. I fly SFO-JFK redeyes regularly too and the story is quite similar, but I have had more success midweek than on the peak days you are talking about. If you do a search you will hear loads about this, and the difficulty in upgrading. Upgrades, even for an EXP on this route are extremely tough.
Your sig says 44 of 46 upgrades as ExP this year though?

I normally do online checkin at 24 hours prior which brings me within the top 3-4 on the upgrade list (as Plat), I would assume there would be more than 2-3 ExP's on these flights so I gather the rest have been upgraded?

Or am I forgetting something?
Old May 15, 2006, 10:16 pm

Your sig says 44 of 46 upgrades as ExP this year though?

I normally do online checkin at 24 hours prior which brings me within the top 3-4 on the upgrade list (as Plat), I would assume there would be more than 2-3 ExP's on these flights so I gather the rest have been upgraded?

Or am I forgetting something?
Haha, yeah my upgrade stats this year have been quite good (even on the transcons) though last fall was a different story.

If you are indeed third or fourth on the list as a PLAT then that is pretty good, and some other EXPs may have already cleared. I have also been on flights where full fare Ys have not been upgraded and were sitting in coach too. Monitor the flight on EF closely and then continue to maximize your chances (as it sounds like you already are).
Old May 15, 2006, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tambreet
Even though i'm sure its happens a bunch of times, i really doubt on a full 762 flight they would bother to fetch me from the back of the plane on such a full flight - at least thats my impression - i'm sure they would just give it to one of the many other Plats who had yet to board (the upgrade request list was just under 2 pages on the screens).
Old May 15, 2006, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Haha, yeah my upgrade stats this year have been quite good (even on the transcons) though last fall was a different story.

If you are indeed third or fourth on the list as a PLAT then that is pretty good, and some other EXPs may have already cleared. I have also been on flights where full fare Ys have not been upgraded and were sitting in coach too. Monitor the flight on EF closely and then continue to maximize your chances (as it sounds like you already are).
i'll make EXP in another 3-4 weeks so will see how i go then. how effective is the tactic of calling the automated upgrade line 4 hours prior to departure? its just i take the 7am or 8am monday flights and am not too mad on waking up 4 hours prior - but if it gets me the upgrade, i might just do it
Old May 15, 2006, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by sirgolf82
I too wonder the same on the reverse flights...I'm booked in Y, waiting for a sticker upgrade on this friday's JFK-LAX flt 133 at 4pm. Expertflyer shows 0's across the board on all F and J fares. There are a few empty seats on aa.com, but we know that isn't reliable.

Anyone else waiting in line too? Looks like the upgrade chances are slim. Let's grab a beer at JFK.
Hate to tell you, but I'm waitlisted to BUY a J seat on both 117 (2:30pm) and 133...but if I have to end up on 133, and I think I'll make the AC, I'll PM you.
Old May 16, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: AA 1MM, DL Silver, SPG Lifetime Gold
Hey all,

Adam
In about 20 RT flights in the last 2 years, I have failed to get upgraded twice on the JFK-LAX returns. They often do not clear until check-in though.
Old May 16, 2006, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kflyer2
In about 20 RT flights in the last 2 years, I have failed to get upgraded twice on the JFK-LAX returns. They often do not clear until check-in though.
peak time flights? or mid-week? i would guess the 2 which didnt clear were definately the peak flights correct?
Old May 16, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: AA 1MM, DL Silver, SPG Lifetime Gold
peak time flights? or mid-week? i would guess the 2 which didnt clear were definately the peak flights correct?
They were on the 2:30 p.m. flights--, flight #117 on Fridays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.