Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAToday = 1,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by mvoight
You could also do this from the beginning by buying a gift subscription.
I wish I had thought of that. I would have had it sent to my sister.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by jmplatinum

I got the same letter and I had opted out of EZ PAY.

In addition, the bottom of the letter says that I will get my 1,000 bonus points after the 4th renewal. That was not part of the original agreement.

Has anybody had any luck in calling and getting the miles and cancelling at the same time per the original T&Cs?
Unfotunately it is in the T&C..

Cancellations prior to the fourth renewal are not eligible for the 1000 bonus sign-up miles. One subscription per member per year.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by afang

Cancellations prior to the fourth renewal are not eligible for the 1000 bonus sign-up miles. One subscription per member per year.
I got 1500 miles???
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:40 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think that USA Today's normal bonus program includes the 1,000 bonus points and requires EZ payment and 4 months of active subscription. For a while, and it may still be active, there was a 1,500 point bonus offer that didn't include the 4 month requirement or the EZ payment enrollment. But it seems USA Today realized they missed some loop-holes in their T&Cs and then updated them and may be trying to retroactively apply them.

I do believe that is what has been dominating most of this thread.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by afang

This was also in the confirmation:

You have earned 1500 AAdvantage Miles and they will be deposited into your account within 6-8 weeks.
Kinda hard for that to happen when you have to renew over 4 months.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think that USA Today's normal bonus program includes the 1,000 bonus points and requires EZ payment and 4 months of active subscription. For a while, and it may still be active, there was a 1,500 point bonus offer that didn't include the 4 month requirement or the EZ payment enrollment. But it seems USA Today realized they missed some loop-holes in their T&Cs and then updated them and may be trying to retroactively apply them.

I do believe that is what has been dominating most of this thread.

Just to clarify, there were actually several offers, all of which had identical T&C's (before USA Today changed them). There was an offer for 400 miles, an offer for 750 miles, one for 1,000 miles and one for 1,500 miles. They all had identical T&C's, which did NOT require any renewal beyond the first 4 weeks to receive the miles, and was not limited as to how many subscriptions you could sign up for (nor who was eligible for signing up for them--they now claim the 1,500 mile one was for elites only). They added new T&C's later, which required 4 months, and limited you to one offer, but those T&C's were not in effect when I signed up.

They are now trying to change the terms of the contract and try to get out of honoring the terms which many (most) of us signed up for.

Goph
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Anyone else who signed up for multiple subscriptions having trouble getting USAT to honor the T&C's? If they did dispute the T&C's, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who either did resolve it satisfactorily or was told that USAT would not honor the T&C's.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tazi
I wish I had thought of that. I would have had it sent to my sister.
No problem to change the address later, it just takes days to become effective.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:34 pm

I signed up for this under the original terms as well and today I noticed that AA has deducted the 1500 mile from my account. Has anyone else seen this yet?

I had already called to cancel my account at the end of the 4 week trial period and they suspended it instead of cancelling since I mentioned I may sign up again at some point. But I did receive it for the full 4 weeks.

I've contacted AA customer service but no response from them yet. Figured I might have better luck with them than with USA Today after reading here.

Gail
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gailmjohnson
I signed up for this under the original terms as well and today I noticed that AA has deducted the 1500 mile from my account. Has anyone else seen this yet?

Gail
Outrageous.
Did you inform AA that USAT changed the terms and then decided to make them retroactive. I can't even get USAT to admit they did this.
They ignore my emails.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:14 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I've actually been on the phone with USA Today about this, and nothing. I am rather upset, and plan at this point on disputing the charge with Citi
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
I've actually been on the phone with USA Today about this, and nothing. I am rather upset, and plan at this point on disputing the charge with Citi
I think Citi knows about it already
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:18 pm

Sorry, I only read the first page, and didn't realize how long this thread was. Please disregard my response.

Alex

Last edited by AlexS; Jul 11, 2006 at 9:20 pm Reason: Misread
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:35 pm

1500 miles gone! What to do?

Originally Posted by AlexS
Sorry, I only read the first page, and didn't realize how long this thread was. Please disregard my response.

Alex
Anyone have a copy of the original terms. I had 1500 miles and now they are gone. I signed up for 4 weeks and had to call to cancel after the papers kept coming. Really poor service. Who would ever do business with USA Today after this farce.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I think Citi knows about it already
I've had the same troubles with USAToday as everyone else here. In fact, I've posted some of my comments in the past.

USAToday refuses to honor their part of the deal.... they insist that the T&C (presently on their web site) have always been there. Of course, it wasn't true at the time of my order... I looked diligently before I ordered 9 subscriptions. And they did eventually retract my miles.

I talked with Citi and they state they cannot help either. They asked if I received my subscriptions as promised and that is true. They said that as long as I received the subscriptions (that were purchased) they cannot dispute based on a incentive item. They did suggest that I contact AA with a complaint to see if American can pressure USAToday. I did this and have not received a response yet.

I also intend to file a complaint with the Virginia Attorney General's office as their advertising for this offer was misleading.

I encourage everyone who has had problems to contact AA. And I encourage everyone to consider filing a complaint with the Virginia AG if you are unable to resolve it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.