Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 'approved electronix' list and XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Question AA 'approved electronix' list and XM Radio

Pioneer will soon begin shipping their portable XM radio/MP3 player.

The shopping catalog on AA planes has a full page ad for the product saying 'use it ANYWHERE'. So I guess if AA promotes it for pax to buy they would be thinking ahead that 'gee anywhere will mean on our airplanes!'.

I have one on order ... and its due to ship like soooooon!

In looking at the AA 'approved' and 'not allowed' list of onboard electronics .. the issue seems to be in the transmission of a signal. It states:

During flight, never use cellphones (to make or receive calls), two-way pagers, radios, TV sets, remote controls (example: DVD, CD, game, or toy remote controls), a cordless computer mouse, commercial TV cameras, or Global Positioning Systems. Radio transmission using personal communications devices (example: walkie-talkies, two-way pagers, or wireless headphones) is prohibited, as it may interfere with the aircraft's communications and navigation systems

Has anyone approached AA on the XM portable sattellite reception devioes??

I actually bought the device for my car that came without XM .. (hooked on the adult comedy channel).

Yes I searched for 'XM Radio' and got lots of 'radio' hits but when searching XM only got nothing....
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:28 pm
Suspended

XM rules. I have the current portable and will be getting the new one the second it's available. It works in flight as long as you're on the "south" side of the plane (essentially.) However, it is not currently approved that I know of, and-- if I had to guess-- won't be anytime soon.

Opie and Anthony!!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
JonNYC: Do you have to have the unit near the window for reception? I know the portable units work indoors in the city because they have terrestrial rebroadcasting stations. I didn't think they would get reception indoors when away from the rebroadcaster.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
OT: CBS (Viacom, whatever) has hired Opie and Anthony to replace David Lee Roth in the mornings in something like 7 major markets.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Any radio receiver is also a low-powered radio transmitter. That's an unavoidable consequence of the laws of physics and how the circuitry used to pick up the signal works.

As a result, it is very unlikely that an XM receiver is ever going to be treated any differently than any other radio receiver.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:05 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
XM rules.
Are you on crack?

Everyone knows it's all about Sirius. I mean, who can live without the Jimmy Buffett station?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Are you on crack?

Everyone knows it's all about Sirius. I mean, who can live without the Jimmy Buffett station?

omegadeal, definitely have to be exposed to Southern sky if you are in an area w/o terrestrial repeaters. Overall, once you have it you will wonder how you lived w/o it.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by JonNYC

omegadeal, definitely have to be exposed to Southern sky if you are in an area w/o terrestrial repeaters. Overall, once you have it you will wonder how you lived w/o it.
This 'southern sky' thing bothered me all night on my MIA-MSP flight. Since I was somewhat flying South to North .. a bit west .. would I have enough 'south' exposure??

Life sounds like it is getting too complicated... FEBO, less room in First A/B on MD80s now Southern Side....
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JGR01
This 'southern sky' thing bothered me all night on my MIA-MSP flight. Since I was somewhat flying South to North .. a bit west .. would I have enough 'south' exposure??

Life sounds like it is getting too complicated... FEBO, less room in First A/B on MD80s now Southern Side....
Well, the antenna on the new ones is supposed to be much better than it is on my MiFi. Thing is, you could easily solve the problem by holding the unit up to the window (or an external antenna on the window) but that brings us back to the OP-- I wouldn't do that for fear of an FA asking "what the hell is that thing!!??"
Maybe someone else has more personal experience using it in-flight on non-trancons.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
Get an external antenna with a wire about 3 feet long. Close the shade and put the antenna behind it then run the wire behind your back to the reciever. Works great.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Excuse me, but why aren't planes crashing all the time if all you guys are using these radios in flight?!?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
Get an external antenna with a wire about 3 feet long. Close the shade and put the antenna behind it then run the wire behind your back to the reciever. Works great.
"Mr. MacGyver, could you kindly remove your contraption from the window? Also, could you use this duct tape, this screw, and these sticks to modify our ovens to allow for 'eat when you want' service we boast we can provide?"

ps - I have XM, but must say Stern is better than O&E.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:53 am
Suspended

Me personally? Wouldn't do it-- You're right and I'm wrong-- but I wouldn't do it (the wire under the window shade part) until sat. radio joins the acceptable list.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just that it works great!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:48 am
Suspended

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just that it works great!
And ya' never get some Nosey Nellie asking you (or, worse, a FA) "what's that wire running from the passenger to the window-- that he's trying so hard to conceal?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.