Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Christopher Elliott on AA aainflightservice.com documents & FlyerTalk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Christopher Elliott covers travel matters on his blog and for the New York Times.

Today he posted a blog entry, EmbAArrassed, discussing the aainflightservice.com documents that were discussed here last week (link now leading to an error message, because FT staff deleted or hid the thread). Chris's comments:
So American Airlines got a little careless and made its employee-only Web site accessible to the world. And for a few hours, anyone with a Web browser could read everything from its dress-code manual to a tutorial on how to use chopsticks.

It's hardly the first airline to make a similar mistake. A few years ago, archrival Southwest Airlines inadvertently opened a back door to its intranet.
Chris goes on to discuss the fact that AA shortly removed the documents from his web site. He concludes:
[H]ere's where the story takes an unfortunate turn. [S]omeone at Flyertalk hit the panic button and deleted the entire string [of discussions].

I don't know why. Maybe an American Airlines attorney called Flyertalk publisher Randy Petersen and demanded the removal of the string. Then again, maybe the decision happened at a lower level, initiated perhaps by an overly cautious moderator.

Either way, the move seriously undermines Flyertalk's reputation as a place where ideas about travel can be freely discussed, without fear of censorship. Since all of the links to the pages within in the string are now password-protected, Flyertalk should restore the pages and allow the discussion to continue.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bedelman
Either way, the move seriously undermines Flyertalk's reputation as a place where ideas about travel can be freely discussed, without fear of censorship. Since all of the links to the pages within in the string are now password-protected, Flyertalk should restore the pages and allow the discussion to continue.
Zi paperz pleez.

Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:07 pm
Suspended

As I have posted before (and was deleted), FT is a Chinese Democracy. Even more so now than it used to be. Not really a complaint. Just a statement of fact. It is what it is.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, Skywards, Flying Blue, Miles & More
Not to worry, we've all saved the Flight Service bulletins and are about to post them on a different site!!!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Interestingly, I believe that if Mr. Elliott had posted that blog entry himself on FlyerTalk, it would be considered in violation of the ToS! (In particular I am talking about the first sentence of the last paragraph that is quoted above.)
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:15 pm

I am curious, why would anybody be interested in our dress code manual? Was there truly something interesting there?
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:17 pm
Suspended

I think Christopher hit the nail right on the head:

"Then again, maybe the decision happened at a lower level, initiated perhaps by an overly cautious moderator."

I love the "lower level."
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by skylady
I am curious, why would anybody be interested in our dress code manual? Was there truly something interesting there?

Actually, yes, there were other interesting things, such as cross-cabin visits, and row 17 on the 763, things an FA would not likely want us to be able to shove in their faces mid flight.

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
No one does. Notice that the main point of the article was the reaction by FlyerTalk--not the content of the documents themselves.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by fly72
I think Christopher hit the nail right on the head:

"Then again, maybe the decision happened at a lower level, initiated perhaps by an overly cautious moderator."

I love the "lower level."
There was a thread a few hours later, someone looking for that original thread, to which Randy responded, indicating that he either removed the thread himself, or approved the decision.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Not to worry, we've all saved the Flight Service bulletins and are about to post them on a different site!!!
Perfect. Good luck with that.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Actually, yes, there were other interesting things, such as cross-cabin visits, and row 17 on the 763, things an FA would not likely want us to be able to shove in their faces mid flight.
Or the part about the frozen shrimp.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:26 pm

Apparently somebody does find the content interesting.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. It the past, Chris has felt that travel industry providers should be protected from their mistakes by their customers. For example, if Orbitz posts a $3 rate on a hotel in Japan, the customer should not book it, but should call Orbitz to report the error. When assured by Orbitz that the rate is OK, and urged by them to book it, the customer should not do so, but should continue calling and calling until he gets someone who will admit that it is a mistake and agrees to correct it.

Despite the fact that AA has password protected their .pdf website, things in it were discussed in the thread referenced. Chris apparently doesn't feel that AA should be protected from this mistake. This may be consistent with his prior positions, but I don't see how.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I read that document with considerable interest. I always felt like there was some surprising pomp to AA's uniforms -- put on a jacket for this stage of service, then take it off, etc. I wanted to understand the specifics, to better appreciate the show being put on for passengers' benefit.

On a more serious level, I was and am concerned that AA doesn't take adequate steps to provide flight attendants with adequate, modern, properly-fitting clothing. I've heard multiple AA staff complaining about exactly this. I wanted to read the rules to understand more about this problem.

Does this matter to most pax? No, definitely not. But if we're going to be victim of those FAs openly unhappy about their uniforms, who perhaps sometimes take out that unhappiness on pax, then we might as well have the benefit of the additional information that lets us better evalute their complaints.

Of course, as others have pointed out, the most notable documents were others -- pax right to cross cabin boundaries, pax right to stay in certain 767 seats, etc. These are significant rights, that some FAs unilaterally and apparently unjustifiably deny. Informed, sophisticated pax who travel with copies of these documents -- small PDFs on their laptops -- will be better equipped to defend their rights, or to escalate their grievances with AA after the fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.