Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Did I break some rule by putting prescription drugs in checked bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I break some rule by putting prescription drugs in checked bag?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:34 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I think the story and the pills and everything about this is a load of codswallop.
As I mentioned earlier, Prescriptions cost less in the UK than 3 Beers in Coach. This story is 100% FAKE
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD (thanks to this board!!), UA, MA
Well, never put Godiva in your checked luggage, because my chocolate was definitely stolen out of my bag. I filed a claim and was told by the agent to never put anything that looks too tasty in your luggage either. He even admitted the Godiva was lifted.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
As I mentioned earlier, Prescriptions cost less in the UK than 3 Beers in Coach. This story is 100% FAKE
I said I was meeting MIL in London, I didn't say she was a UK resident, in fact she is a South African citizen visiting family in the UK. She is not covered by NHS and I don't know if you have checked the cost of filling prescriptions in RSA recently.

I guess I am learning one of the FT experiences, which is ask a simple question to get info and you get a really complicated answer and every conspiracy theorist on the forum.

For all those with constructive responses, I thank you for enlightening me, viz;
  1. Don't put valuables in checked luggage
  2. If soemtihing is stolen, notify airlline asap
  3. Be aware of rules about transporting 3rd party prescriptions before travelling, not after.

Last edited by bmegac; Apr 26, 2006 at 3:01 pm
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: QF Gold, SQ KrisFlyer, Citi Plat. . . . . Aussie living in LOTFAP. . EXPEDIA NONSHOPPER Plat/Life
Originally Posted by mvoight
I suspect the story would probably be believed. After all, why would someone be smuggling drugs from the UK to the US and back into the UK His MIL is from the UK, correct? The pills are from the UK. He was traveling to the UK.
Wrong.
By the OP saying 'acetaminophen', the pills must have originated in the US.
Otherwise he should have said 'Hydrocodone + Paracetamol'

I think the OP was very lucky he isn't writing to us from inside a jail somewhere in UK....

On the other hand, he was also lucky he made it out of the US with this in his bags.

Either way, the disappearing act was probably the best outcome for the OP.

Also, as bodega124 said."You were in posession of a controlled substance without a valid prescription" its actually a lot worse than that, if he was caught by customs at the LGW end, he would have been charged with "Importing a Controlled Substance".

Rob

Anyway, its been fun. We all care too much to see a fellow FT member get in trouble for such a silly thing.....

Last edited by robbob90210; Apr 26, 2006 at 2:55 pm
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, KLM, SWA
Simple Solution

If MIL shows up at the Airport, show them her ID, Name on ID==Name on Bottle, you're good.

In the US people have gotten caught bringing in small amounts of pot, gotten a $500 ticket and let go. (I remember this because it was a GA state leg member and it made big headlines).

Though someone made an interesting point, though since she is from South Africa, that means you might be smuggling Vicodin from South Africa->USA->UK ???
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:07 pm

This does sound like a strange story.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Assuming this OP is fair dinkum, I guess he is lucky he wasn't flying to SIN and had Customs intercept him there. No more frequent flyer account, to say the least. And you are right, it is paracetamol in much of the Anglophone world (including among English-speaking Singaporeans, though I think the "off with his head!" originated in the UK... And, properly speaking, it is hanged, not "hung," as a person smuggling controlled substances into Singapore might find out.)

Originally Posted by robbob90210
Wrong.
By the OP saying 'acetaminophen', the pills must have originated in the US.
Otherwise he should have said 'Hydrocodone + Paracetamol'

I think the OP was very lucky he isn't writing to us from inside a jail somewhere in UK....

On the other hand, he was also lucky he made it out of the US with this in his bags.

Either way, the disappearing act was probably the best outcome for the OP.

Also, as bodega124 said."You were in posession of a controlled substance without a valid prescription" its actually a lot worse than that, if he was caught by customs at the LGW end, he would have been charged with "Importing a Controlled Substance".

Rob

Anyway, its been fun. We all care too much to see a fellow FT member get in trouble for such a silly thing.....
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:28 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Deleted
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
This thread makes me want to ask my pharmacist for an Oxycontin bottle, to be filled by me with Exlax, and placed noticably in my checked luggage .
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bmegac
I said I was meeting MIL in London, I didn't say she was a UK resident, in fact she is a South African citizen visiting family in the UK. She is not covered by NHS and I don't know if you have checked the cost of filling prescriptions in RSA recently.

I guess I am learning one of the FT experiences, which is ask a simple question to get info and you get a really complicated answer and every conspiracy theorist on the forum.

For all those with constructive responses, I thank you for enlightening me, viz;
  1. Don't put valuables in checked luggage
  2. If soemtihing is stolen, notify airlline asap
  3. Be aware of rules about transporting 3rd party prescriptions before travelling, not after.
So MIL leaves USA in December, 3 months later having managed without her important drugs, she is still in UK [Hope she did not overstay her Visa], during these 3 months nobody in her UK family has in this time been able to get her any UK-NHS Vicodin but she has managed to survive. I can see Dame Judi Dench playing the roll in the Movie.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You broke two rules:

1) Never check bags

2) In the event of breaking rule #1, never put anything valuable and/or needed into a checked bag
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:59 pm

In reference to all of the above, it seems that there is some confusion between "legally obtained" and "illegally obtained" drugs. For instance, I can go overseas with my prescriptions, and re-enter the U.S. with them, but I cannot import non-prescribed drugs, except for limited personal uses. The bottle in question in this thread had a valid prescription on it (I'm assuming), it just wasn't the passenger's.

Title 21 of the U.S. code (if I read it correctly), would allow me to import up to 50 doses of a controlled substance for personal use for which I didn't have a prescription. (Remember that people bring over-the-counter codeine pain meds into the U.S. every day without penalty.)

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/956.htm

While laws differ in every country, I don't believe that anyone could make a global statement that just having legally-obtained controlled substances on them would make them a drug smuggler.

The only time I ran into a similar situation was when I crossed the border at Tijuana and had bought some things that aren't available in the U.S. w/o a prescription. I declared them at Customs, the officer looked them over, and let me bring in most of it, but took away what he judged to be more than a 3-month supply.

The big thing is to know the laws of the country where you're headed, DECLARE what you bring in, and if it's something as simple as bringing a prescription to someone who's left something behind, the consulate or embassy of the desination country should be able to advise you.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
"Yes, officer, those are mine."

"No, I don't have the prescription. They're not really mine. I mean, I put them in there, but they're for my mother-in-law. She left them at my place by mistake when she visited over Christmas. I'm bringing them back to her."

"No, I don't know why she got so many all at once."

"No, I don't know what she takes them for."

"No, I don't know what she's been doing for the past four months."

"You mean these can be sold on the street? I had no idea!"

See the first paragraph of FWAAA's post #15. This is not a scenario that is likely to turn out well for the "importer." The best that can be hoped for is custody until you can contact the MIL and have her produce a valid prescription. The worst is worse. Much worse.
What was the name of that movie? Brokedown Palace?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
What was the name of that movie? Brokedown Palace?
"Midnight Express"
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robbob90210
Wrong.

Well said and good catch. It's a LOT worse to try to take drugs illegally through a customs controlled border than to just have them in your pocket. That said, at my age I have quite a few friends that do just that, and buy prescriptions including controlled substances overseas and bring them back (remind me never to get cancer, my the grace of g-d) and though a few have stories of confiscation and some nasty questions being asked it doesn't seem that anyone is really out to file real charges unless they get a feeling that it goes beyond personal use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.