Wiki Posts
Search

An AA Plat's challenge to AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
The title is confusing on so many levels....
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Why is the Southwest attitude mutually exclusive with AAdvantage, assigned seats, international routes, first class, or any of the other things we prefer about AA over WN? It's not. If AA wants to survive, AA's employees have to adopt the "can do" attitude at Southwest rather than the "not my job" attitude (some just due to personality, some due to union contracts) they too often display.

There is very little that I like about Southwest, but their corporate culture that keeps the employees motivated and allows fast turns (although not always on-time flights, due to overly-aggressive scheduling) is fantastic. I think brp and JDiver really hit the nail on the head.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
67 minutes isn't the end of the world.
No, 67 minutes aren't the end the world, but those precious minutes can save an important meeting, avoid missing a family function (especially after being forced to stay overnight), avoid missing a tee time, etc ... For those of us that must travel for a living, 67 minutes makes a huge difference in balancing work and family.

There is no excuse for a plane not being ready to push back on time if it has been sitting on the ground for 12 hours.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

67 minutes may not be the end of the world but , in this case, should have been avoided. The aeroplane had been sitting on the ground for a significant period of time during which it could have been cleaned

ORD-DFW is only a short flight and 67 minutes delay is significant. If suggesting that 67 minutes delay is not significant, I know that people travelling to work by train who were 67 minutes delayed would hardly class it as insignificant; why do some people seem happy to allow airlines to run over an hour late?

Dave
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
The title is confusing on so many levels....
And I thought it was just me ...
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Sadly, 67 minutes late on any carrier these days isn't that bad in my book. I have become pretty jaded. If my flight leaves less than an hour late, I call it a success. There have been too many 5+ hours late or cancellations that I fear could happen again. (Although happily, not too many problems with AA over the last 10 years...)
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
And +67 minutes is considered phenomenal on AS
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
And +67 minutes is considered phenomenal on AS

SO TRUE!!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver

One result? An aircraft sits at the gate, cleaning an afterthought, because it isn’t the GA's job, it isn't the ramp crew's job, it isn't the FA's job - in fact, FAs only start getting paid when the wheels move at pushback, so there's an attitudinal barrier (cleaners are a lower occupational caste and cleaning is an undesirable and onerous duty) and an incentive barrier (if they ain't gonna pay me, I ain't gonna do it, and it's someone else's job anyway,) etc.
[/RANT]
There is the problem... An FA would rather stand there, not getting paid, wasting their time and the passingers time, than get their hands dirty. So, they added 67 UNPAID minutes to their day, not doing anything, because it "wasn't their job." Meanwhile, the interest meter is running on that airplane and screwing up the schedule for the rest of the day.

Its the "don't care" attitude of the FA's and the other employees of the legacy carriers compared to the "let's get this job done" attitude of WN.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
I certainly hear everyone's plane pain. IMO, a goodly part of the reason for this is the stultified and fossilized airline culture.

[/RANT]
I just want to add and say this is one of the most insightful posts I've seen in my limited time on FT and I have enjoyed reading it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.