Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA BOS-SAN one drink and one water

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH DIA
I just got back from BOS-LAX, and there were two food options: a snack box for $4, and a turkey sandwich for $5. The FAs announced that they had a "limited number" of snack boxes and sandwiches on board, so it's certainly possible they could run out before reaching the back of the plane.

As far as entertainment, it was one movie (Elizabethtown), and then lots of CBS promos for new fall series, and excerpts from David Letterman, etc. Headphones still $2 for those who forgot theirs.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by Shorty
I just got back from BOS-LAX, and there were two food options: a snack box for $4, and a turkey sandwich for $5. The FAs announced that they had a "limited number" of snack boxes and sandwiches on board, so it's certainly possible they could run out before reaching the back of the plane.

As far as entertainment, it was one movie (Elizabethtown), and then lots of CBS promos for new fall series, and excerpts from David Letterman, etc. Headphones still $2 for those who forgot theirs.
Yep this is pretty common fare for transcons these days, though the menu/service in F class have improved over the last 6 months compared to how bad it got at one point, though no where near standards of a few years ago.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mgolshan
I flew BOS to SAN last week in Coach a 6 hour and 13 minute flight outbound and 5 hour and 24 minute flight home. Just one beverage service and one water service on each leg. Yes you can buy a snack box for $4 raisins,peanuts and processed cheese or 1/2 turkey sand for $5. On a flight that long that basically means that everyone around me had brought in Mcdonalds, Chinese food etc.. and the plane smelled awful after about 30 minutes... Then some people placed there trash all over the place on the floor in the seatback etc.. Would like to see something a bit better for a flight that length in coach. I really like American Airlines but this pushing the limits.
All the more reason to abandon AA and fly jetBlue between Boston and Long Beach. In lieu of older aircraft, older (worn-out) Flight Attendants, ticket counter and gate agents in Boston who are disrespectful, at best, on a good day in Boston, and outsourced baggage service personnel who do not know what a customer or service is, you will receive the following on jetBlue:

1. A sense that your business is valued and appreciated;
2. An understanding that the marketplace is competitive, and airline personnel need to "earn" passenger's business;
3. Much younger aircraft;
4. More comfortable seating;
5. Direct TV in-flight;
6. Flight attendants who are service and customer-oriented;
7. An "open" snack and soft drink bar, open from coast to coast;
8. Ticket counter and gate agents who work for you, the customer;
9. Baggage Service personnel who are jetBlue employees, not the outsourced, third-world country variety who work as AA imposters for AA.

If jetBlue was part of an alliance, and had an international route structure, I'd tell AA to take my status and shove it. FYI, I am eleven missing bag reports (all on all-AA itineraries) into the year so far.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by nologic
I think I generally see two rounds of refreshments on the BOS-MIA flights?
I don't know about those flights, but on my recent trips on AA san-dfw and dfw-dca, there was exactly one beverage service in Y. No offers of refills or coffee or water subsequently. And of course, no pretzels. When I flew jfk-lax, we did get two beverage services, IIRC.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:57 pm

just flew in

On an AE flight today from CMH-LGA I was offered the full can...in fact the FA insisted (politely) I take it. Someone in front of me asked if they had any peanuts or pretezels, and the FA replied, "no but you can buy a bag of cashews for $2." The passenger did't look happy, but my co-worker enjoyed the cashews

Last year on a JFK-LGB on jetblue I was offered a nice snack box 3 separate times during the flight. I was full from the snacks by the time we landed. But I still fly AA for the miles, upgrades, and one world alliance.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:46 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
i think it is very tacky not to do 2 beverage services on a BOS-SAN transcon.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I may be wrong, but I think it is AA's policy to perform more than one full beverage service on a transcon flight.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Ever think of just asking for something?

When the service displeases me, I get up with a $5 in hand and politely ask for another rum and coke. Often that provokes them to det off their duffs and serve the cabin.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
When the service displeases me, I get up with a $5 in hand and politely ask for another rum and coke. Often that provokes them to det off their duffs and serve the cabin.
Bribing people?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Except for CO meals on any domestic flight are out. On longer flights, the beverage service quality is highly dependent upon the motivation of the FAs. Some FA will make a double trip with the cart while some will spend the time gossiping after making the first and only "round."

What I do not understand is that why AA, particularly on transcon, does not offer a decent buy on board meal rather than those nasty (and unhealthy) snack boxes. It would drive additional revenues, make passengers happy and avoid the place from smelling like a garbage can in the back of a McDonalds.

Sometime you just have to wonder about the average brain matter of airline senior management.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.7MM, AC
I take the EWR-LAX transcon about once a month and generally they insist I take the can, come back for water/juice service 2-3 hours in and come back about an hour before landing with another drink service. During the liquid strike they came down for water/juice service twice.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Bribing people?
No, it's to pay for the drink.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
While I think the food issue has been beaten aroound enough here, I completely agree with the OP that the FA's should have gone thru the cabin more than once to gather the trash.
I've done the BOS/SNN flight before, and there's plenty of time for more than one run down the aisles with the garbage bags.
I assuming the OP has objectively e-mailed AA CS on the issue, and would be interested in hearing AA's response (beyond the initial auto-reply, of course)
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Just got back from SAN on AA226. We got multiple runs of beverages. The FA even offered me several cans of soda so I can't complain ^
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Just ask!

Originally Posted by Plato90s
No, it's to pay for the drink.
I agree. If you want another drink that bad, get off your dead ... and ask for one. It always works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.