Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection in Iberia challenges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Seat selection in Iberia challenges

Despite the almost uniform dislike of Iberia on flyertalk.com, I was forced to fly them to MAD because of time constraints. I purchased a business class ticket. But when I went online to look at my seats, AA.com won't allow me to change seats. It said that the seats were not assigned. Then when I checked my itinerary from the travel agent, it said:

SEATING IS RESTRICTED TO AIRPORT CHECKIN ONLY

What is this noise? If Iberia is trying to attract full fare business class travelers, why would they not give the passenger the option to select a seat in advance? The trip isn't until July, so its not like it is short notice.

Is IBERIA a subsidiary of Aeroflot domestic? Hence, sIBERIA?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
This is true of practically any partner airline. You can't make changes online, especially if you used a travel agent. I bought tickets online directly from IB and had no problem getting assigned seats.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Pues, mira, Joe - "try FLYING the airline before you make seriously negative comments like that," is my initial response. Was the fare highly restricted? Perhaps you can try calling IB or the agent you purchased from to get a seat assignment, and then you can let us know what worked - or not?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Platinum
During a my first IB experience in quite some time for JFK-MAD and then MAD-LHR, my travel agent got a seat assigned. I only went the TA route after I found the JFK-MAD route was sold out when booking online via AA.com. The TA claimed he "called in a favor" to get me on the flight in J -- who knows if that's true, but he got me on the flight -- and I got a seat assigned on both flights. Both were etickets, so I only had some TA forms that listed a seat, which was what I got when I got on the plane.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by JDiver
Pues, mira, Joe - "try FLYING the airline before you make seriously negative comments like that," is my initial response. Was the fare highly restricted? Perhaps you can try calling IB or the agent you purchased from to get a seat assignment, and then you can let us know what worked - or not?
Good point. I should reserve judgement until I fly them. But you must admit, there are ample negative comments about Iberia on flyertalk and airlinequality. Then again, many folks hate Air France and KLM and I have actually had great experiences on them. So, ...

My travel agent just put in a request for seats. Hopefully, aa.com will have them posted during the week.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoeTGarcia
...Then again, many folks hate Air France and KLM and I have actually had great experiences on them.
And American for that matter.

I have had very positive experiences on my most recent IB flights-- as have many. Many still have bad things to say about IB on the internet-- but, again, that means very little, you'll see just as much negative "noise" about AA. I'll take IB over AF any day, any time.

Oh, and, your little "sIberia" "joke" isn't remotely original.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:04 pm

I've never had a bad experience on IB flying mainly intra-Europe flights in J. Decent food, on-time flights, uneventful check-in. In general more pleasant than BA's club Europe product.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by millionmiler
In general more pleasant than BA's club Europe product.

Totally agree!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by millionmiler
I've never had a bad experience on IB flying mainly intra-Europe flights in J. Decent food, on-time flights, uneventful check-in. In general more pleasant than BA's club Europe product.
Yeah, but you're judging by actually flying the airline-- as opposed to gathering information on the internet from random strangers and websites-- that's not really a fair way to do it-- is it?

More on same:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530208
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
My Iberia experiences have varied, but

they serve a very good cup of coffee and know how to make a serve a proper cup of tea. That's an accomplishment these days.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I've got no complaints from my intra-European flights. I even scored an op-up as a PLT on a cheap Y ticket (and I'm convinced it's because I used the Lounge in Seville).
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yeah, but you're judging by actually flying the airline-- as opposed to gathering information on the internet from random strangers and websites-- that's not really a fair way to do it-- is it?

More on same:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530208

I've also flown them MAD-JNB in J a couple of times. It wasn't like SQ or CX, but it was fine.

I know that people have written horror stories here about IB on occasion, but for God sakes they are better than United.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Tea

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
they serve a very good cup of coffee and know how to make a serve a proper cup of tea. That's an accomplishment these days.

Yeah, what is it about this country that they cant get it through their heads you make a cup of tea, with the tea bag in FIRST, then BOILING water poured over the top. God forbid you wanted it with real tea leaves in a pot even. SHEESH !!!! Its not rocket science.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes!

Originally Posted by JAppelbee
Yeah, what is it about this country that they cant get it through their heads you make a cup of tea, with the tea bag in FIRST, then BOILING water poured over the top. God forbid you wanted it with real tea leaves in a pot even. SHEESH !!!! Its not rocket science.
The best 'proper' tea I've had in flight was on British Air. The best green tea, absolutely delightful, served on Singapore Air. I absolutely hate tea made with water heated by running it through a coffee maker! Horrible! I haven't found any US based airline that does either coffee or tea well. Why?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
The best 'proper' tea I've had in flight was on British Air.
Surely you mean Quantas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.