Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No water in F lav today, was my compensation request reasonable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum

MIA-PHL this afternoon had a 738 w/o running water in F lav. Y lavs had it. There were the moist towlets in F. I was standing by for this flight, instead of my original one, paid my $25 to guarantee a seat, got to the plane as boarding was starting, skipped taking a pit stop at MIA, and found that I had no water in the F lav on the plane. I sent an email, and I just asked for my two stickers back. I said that having to use the towlets, or go back to Y (which I left out, as it is technically against the rules) was a mechanical problem that devalued sitting in F. Reasonable, or not?

BTW, a HUGE thanks to FT for guiding me through MIA. My flight left from an E gate, and there was no F line at D/E today. Rather than wait, I went over to C, which had 1 person on the line. I think I would have otherwise missed my flight.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
I said that having to use the towlets, or go back to Y (which I left out, as it is technically against the rules) was a mechanical problem that devalued sitting in F. Reasonable, or not?
Not. You still got the seat and service. I wouldn't expect anything (I tend to save my complaints for the serious stuff).
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Not. You still got the seat and service. I wouldn't expect anything (I tend to save my complaints for the serious stuff).
I'll venture that the OP will get some miles as a customer service gesture, but not a refund of the stickers. As you note, the F seat and service were still present and given.

Mike
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:35 pm
Suspended

From just reading your post title, I knew the answer was no. I was right.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
2 upgrades, value $60, because you would have to use moist towels or the econ rest room on a flight of a couple of hours. Yeah, right.

I doubt a FC passenger is going to be stopped from going to the ECON restroom, especially if there is a water problem.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
2 upgrades, value $60, because you would have to use moist towels or the econ rest room on a flight of a couple of hours. Yeah, right.

I doubt a FC passenger is going to be stopped from going to the ECON restroom, especially if there is a water problem.

I wasn't stopped from doing that, but a FC pax also shouldn't have to wait for a FA to finish serving 130 ppl drinks to use the lav either. Not a huge deal, but had I known about the problem beforehand, I certainly wouldn't have takne myself off the later flight, and could have enjoyed lunch outdoors in Miami or walking through Bal Harbor, instead of wondering what I might have touched that would then be in my lunch.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I once flew on a DC-10 from BOS to LAX without any water on the plane. Obviously, all of us wanted to get to the West Coast and the pilot had towelettes loaded in all the lavs. Guess what? We made it without any passengers whining and I made my connection to HNL. ^

I used miles to upgrade and never even thought about asking for my miles back! Good Grief! Take a chill pill and calm down!
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I wasn't stopped from doing that, but a FC pax also shouldn't have to wait for a FA to finish serving 130 ppl drinks to use the lav either. Not a huge deal, but had I known about the problem beforehand, I certainly wouldn't have takne myself off the later flight, and could have enjoyed lunch outdoors in Miami or walking through Bal Harbor, instead of wondering what I might have touched that would then be in my lunch.
I'm curious... under normal circumstances (i.e. there's water), after washing your hands do you open up the door with a paper towel and manage to deposit it into the trap door waste can and keep the door propped open and get out without touching anything? I mean, I see people do this on land (I'm guilty at times), but I don't see many people try to perform what amounts to a quasi-acrobatic stunt in the air.

Also, there are nasties everywhere, and water or no water you're gonna touch 'em. That's what Purell was made for.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:56 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Originally Posted by tismfu
Also, there are nasties everywhere, and water or no water you're gonna touch 'em. That's what Purell was made for.
Exactly... I recently purchased the smallest Purell container ever at a local Chevron, and it's definitely going with me when I fly. I'm sure the germs were there 30 years ago, it's just that we can now freak out about them...I'm guilty too.

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Place your bets

I sent an email, and I just asked for my two stickers back. I said that having to use the towlets, or go back to Y (which I left out, as it is technically against the rules) was a mechanical problem that devalued sitting in F. Reasonable, or not?
It's a great argument, but I doubt you'll get 2 stickers back. I do hope you'll post their eventual reply. Until then, maybe we should set odds and take bets.

a letter only: 3 to 1
2000 miles: 4 to 1
3000 miles: 7 to 1
1 sticker refunded: 6 to 1
$50 travel voucher: 8 to 1
$100 travel voucher: 12 to 1
both stickers refunded: 1,000,000 to 1

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
I think they should refund your entire ticket price. Having to use a wipe is Barbaric.
Some people on this site need to get a life and stop whining about trivial Sh*t.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I think they will give you the stickers, or a few thousand miles, because their general policy seems to be that miles and such are a cheap way to pacify an upset passenger.

What I think they should do is another story. Don't you ever go hiking? A few days in the woods will put a waterless lav, equipped with a flush toilet and an adequate supply of towelettes, into perspective.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would have stayed avoided the flight simply becase of this?
I guess we won't see you on Survivor anytime soon.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
It's a great argument, but I doubt you'll get 2 stickers back. I do hope you'll post their eventual reply. Until then, maybe we should set odds and take bets.

a letter only: 3 to 1
2000 miles: 4 to 1
3000 miles: 7 to 1
1 sticker refunded: 6 to 1
$50 travel voucher: 8 to 1
$100 travel voucher: 12 to 1
both stickers refunded: 1,000,000 to 1
Can you use travel vouchers to buy upgrades?
If so, then why would you rate the $100 voucher at much better odds than the 2 upgrades?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
I don't see AA responding well to this complaint, either, but I do think it's BS to have so many waterless flights. If this were a once-in-a-blue-moon deal, I'd be more forgiving.

This seems to happen ALL the time now, though, and it particularly p*sses me off that they don't generally tell you until the door is closed. In the cases I've encountered, meanwhile, it's been NO water on the plane, not just in F. As I've 'whined' in another thread, it's simply not acceptable that this has become an 'acceptable' situation, particularly for longer flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.