Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No water in F lav today, was my compensation request reasonable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No water in F lav today, was my compensation request reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:15 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was actually hoping that the OP had not yet written and was asking us for advice first. Going back to read the OP, though, the email has been sent, sadly. Not sure if it's really true that they keep track of "complaint history" rather than just treating each in an individual basis. For the sake of the OP, I hope the history memory is minimal.

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Maybe they'll send you some complimentary lav water.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Platinum, Hertz PC, SPG, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
MIA-PHL this afternoon had a 738 w/o running water in F lav. Y lavs had it. There were the moist towlets in F. I was standing by for this flight, instead of my original one, paid my $25 to guarantee a seat, got to the plane as boarding was starting, skipped taking a pit stop at MIA, and found that I had no water in the F lav on the plane. I sent an email, and I just asked for my two stickers back. I said that having to use the towlets, or go back to Y (which I left out, as it is technically against the rules) was a mechanical problem that devalued sitting in F. Reasonable, or not?

BTW, a HUGE thanks to FT for guiding me through MIA. My flight left from an E gate, and there was no F line at D/E today. Rather than wait, I went over to C, which had 1 person on the line. I think I would have otherwise missed my flight.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is unbelievable. I was in first class out of STL the other day (to New York) and they delayed the flight about 20 minutes and then came on and said listen we don't have water on the plane but with the winds it's an hour and 50 flying time, we are guessing you'd rather we take off than wait here to fix it, let us know if you'd like to be rerouted. Nobody took them up on that offer. And that was the whole plane, not just one bathroom.

It's a slight inconvenience sure, but compensation? The thought literally never crossed my mind. Sort of sad what people complain about these days, makes it harder for those of us that are reasonable to get some attention when it's really deserved.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:50 am
Suspended

Absolutely unbelievable...
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Not. You still got the seat and service. I wouldn't expect anything (I tend to save my complaints for the serious stuff).
Or playing a good round of Compensation the Game®
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by mvoight
I doubt a FC passenger is going to be stopped from going to the ECON restroom, especially if there is a water problem.
Hypocrisy at its best from AA's side if this is true. AA claims that "for security reasons you have to use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin". There have been several flights I've been on when there has been only one functioning Y-lav and all Y passengers were forced to use that.

I can't see that it is more secure for an F passenger to use a Y lav than it is for a Y passenger to use an F lav. Now, the real reason for not allowing Y passengers in F is NOT security, we all know that, but AA needs to fess up to what they announce on the flights.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by L-1011
I can't see that it is more secure for an F passenger to use a Y lav than it is for a Y passenger to use an F lav.
Sure it is. The cockpit is in the front of the plane, not the rear.

Mike
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nako
Sure it is. The cockpit is in the front of the plane, not the rear.

Mike
Right. It's about congregating near the cockpit door. And even if ir ere just abour congregating, in general, there is a whole lot more potential "excess flow" Y-> F than F->Y just based on the number of seats/pax. Allowing flow in one direction and not the other does make some sense, even in the (overhyped, overdone) security context.

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by brp
Right. It's about congregating near the cockpit door.
No, that's a separate security announcement.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by L-1011
No, that's a separate security announcement.
Yes it is. But the lav "rule" is in place for exactly the same reason. They both came about at the same time, and they both have the same ostensible purpose. At times, I've heard the two items merged into the same announcement.

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by magic111
Or playing a good round of Compensation the Game®
Now, we don't want to force AA into chapter 11 paying out compensation to everyone on board, do we?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
...I sent an email, and I just asked for my two stickers back. I said that having to use the towlets, or go back to Y (which I left out, as it is technically against the rules) was a mechanical problem that devalued sitting in F. Reasonable, or not?
For a paying F customer, maybe.

In the case of an upgrade-- well, there does appear to be a bit of a consensus forming up here.. wouldn't ya' say?

Just my 2
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Talking Non compo mentis...

Compo? I recall a July ~13, 1993 very full SA 747-400 JFK-JNB flight (15+ hours) where, by the time we were 'way out over the Atlantic, had two working lavs left, which eventually went to one. It posed an inconvenience, but from Nelson Mandela on down (yes, he was on that flight; we also saw him in the JFK AC and met a couple of the ANC delegates - it was slightly strange to be interviewed by a woman wearing an AA uniform ask us questions in a very pronounced Afrikaans accent,), I don't recollect anyone actually getting upset and demanding favors - I am sure the airline did not plan to have a number of lavs go inop. The flight certainly underscored the equality of "man," though... and lots of legs crossed in the queue.

The OP? The ground people failed to fill the tanks, or there was a minor mechanical problem that interfered with lav water in the sinks, and the airline provided a reasonable alternative. The OP received all other services "purchased" with two stickers, and had access to the rear lavs - perhaps a less desirable chice than using a sterile wipe. Compo? I vote an AA form e-mail acknowledging receipt of the complaint and words like "gomen nasai" or "sorry about that."
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:07 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the point has been made..

It seems that the OP has not been involved in this since post #6. Perhaps the point has been made since there seem to be no objections at this point, and we can cease and desist with the piling on, lest we incur a 10 yard penalty?

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I think AA DOES owe the OP compensation. Maybe a nice bottle of water???? Bottled tap, not spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.