Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA new service ORD-DEL-ORD has done very well

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
How could AA fly this? No more 777s are on order at this time and they won't place an order in the short term.
The recent announcement to end SJC-NRT as of October this year, should free up the additional plane. Also, don't forget about the 777 the AA has leased back to Boeing that could be done within the next year or so.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
How could AA fly this? No more 777s are on order at this time and they won't place an order in the short term.
shuffle and re-shuffle. RDU-LGW is on the bubble as a 777 route, having already once been downgraded to 763. AA has also shown willingness to switch between the two to S. America. Also how long can FRA last as a 777 station with but a single frequency?

if 777-only opportunities arise, I think we can expect AA to take any steps necessary to exploit them.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AA EXP
So how is this flight doing these days? I flew DEL-ORD on 6/6 in J which was about 30% full. The back of the plane seemed quite full.

It was the first time I took this flight and I must say you can't beat the convenience of this flight especially if you are, like me, starting in DEL and ending at ORD.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL
It's a shame there's not a direct flight from the US to BLR. Every time I fly BA LHR-BLR it's chock full of Americans.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by boondoggie
It's a shame there's not a direct flight from the US to BLR. Every time I fly BA LHR-BLR it's chock full of Americans.
No US pax carrier even flies to BLR yet and the only one that had it scheduled -- NW -- decided to abort it. (It didn't help that multiple European carriers decided to launch BLR in rather short time; nor did it help that NW had the flight going via AMS especially since it would be just another Europe-BLR routing.)
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
The recent announcement to end SJC-NRT as of October this year, should free up the additional plane. Also, don't forget about the 777 the AA has leased back to Boeing that could be done within the next year or so.
Plus the canceled ORD-NGO flight last October. Plus the 777s that have flown nothing but military charters since 2003.

AA has no pressing need for 777s. If it did, it would order some.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Plus the canceled ORD-NGO flight last October. Plus the 777s that have flown nothing but military charters since 2003.

This tells you all you need to know about the effective use of government resources: if the airlines are making more money on CRAF/gvmt charter service than on scheduled pax service, the gvmt should cut the rates it pays.

Realistically speaking, why not use 757s to fly charters to the Gulf? They can make fuel stops in SNN, and do one-stop from pretty much anywhere in the NE US to Kuwait.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CO FF
This tells you all you need to know about the effective use of government resources: if the airlines are making more money on CRAF/gvmt charter service than on scheduled pax service, the gvmt should cut the rates it pays.

Realistically speaking, why not use 757s to fly charters to the Gulf? They can make fuel stops in SNN, and do one-stop from pretty much anywhere in the NE US to Kuwait.

I think it would be a much better use of the A300s, which AA seems to be trying to phase out anyways. Unless they make a killing on the cargo in and out of MIA on these, they seem perfect for this, as they are actually AA's highest capacity plane.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Full flights often aren't profitable flights. In this case, however, it appears that yields have been strong and it looks like it's a winner. After the loser of ORD-NGO from last year, AA could use a winner.

It gets even better in a few weeks when AA begins flying ORD-PVG. Some estimates of annual revenue for that flight exceed $200 million.

AA could certainly use that kind of revenue. DEL could be worth another $150-$200 million of annual revenue.

Another flight to DEL? I wouldn't count on it for the near term. Much better to fill one daily flight with a lot of paid F and J than to fly double dailies with lackluster premium cabin loads.
I was told by an FA on the NGO flight last year that Toyota had committed to AA for a specific (high) number of seats at a contract rate, and the seat commitment never came true.

No verification on this story, so YMMV.

I really do like the airport at NGO though
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:51 pm

AA and NGO

the Flight attendant is correct. AA had a contract with Toyota. However, AA lost the contract and United got it. The day AA lost the contract AA pulled the flight. at that time UA announced/expanded nonstop SFO-SAT service. SAT is where Toyota has a large US base, and the SFO/SAT/SFO flights make convenient connections to the NGO flights, perfect for the Toyota executives' use

Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
I was told by an FA on the NGO flight last year that Toyota had committed to AA for a specific (high) number of seats at a contract rate, and the seat commitment never came true.

No verification on this story, so YMMV.

I really do like the airport at NGO though
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN

If AA did want some 777's Varig has two that are currently being repossessed by Boeing-- not sure if Varig's planes are engine compatible to AA's though.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by mlraa1
If AA did want some 777's Varig has two that are currently being repossessed by Boeing-- not sure if Varig's planes are engine compatible to AA's though.
Im pretty sure that they have PW or GE and not RR engines. RG also has some 77As which are the non -ER version, which AA does not operate. I don't think it would be economically feasible to maintain a sub-fleet of 2/3 777s.

Matt
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by mlraa1
Varig has 3 different models of 777, none of which have similar engines to the AA model:
Engines: 2 X General Electric 90-94B, with 94,000 lb thrust rating each
Engines: 2 X General Electric GE90-76, with 76,000 lbs. thrust rating each
Engines: 2 X Pratt & Wittney PW4090, with 90,000 lbs thrust rating each
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by enjoystravel
They are selling ORD-DEL-ORD for $1300 on many days in mid to late june (with 7 day advance purchase) but the problem is connecting flts from many markets are full. This is the curse of the hub model.

For example, SFO-ORD-DEL-ORD-SFO (or SJC) price at $2,300 whereas ORD-DEL-ORD-SFO come in substantially lower. This shows that SFO-DEL fares are being pushed up by capacity constraints on SFO-ORD route.

Whoa!!! Isn't too expensive for India flight? It is cost of $2,300 roundtrip to DEL either from ORD. You can't afford do that for take on AA flight from SFO-ORD-DEL. But, why you don't try to do search for much cheaper price get there to India next time.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, QF Platinum and Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

I just check on the load factor on AA new service ORD-DEL-ORD for almost 3 months. But, they are doing very well on both way ORD-DEL-ORD. These some flights is full both way to/from India. After in the future AA will decide to get increase more flights to DEL. Does AA will get more people to India in the future and some of other few competition with Air India to BOM & DEL were always full. In the future AI will get longer nonstop from BOM or DEL-ORD using on B777 aircraft. I am hoping will able they do just fine both carrier. It is very special time for celebration new nonstop with other airlines in India.

Regards
I wish One World would permit use of this service as part of xONEx services. I've already twice this year gone India - US via LHR (to meet the xONEx requirement to fly the Atlantic) instead of using the faster direct service to save $$$$ So I spend more time in the air, burning fuel, eating airline food....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.